The new Website Design SUX  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: The new Website Design SUX

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 am

This is my introduction into this new website looks like.. A blinding flash of white then a blaze of full page video action.. For a first time viewer, I would be asking.. What the hell is this!! :O

It would be better that the video played in a much more subtle way.. A part of the whole thing but not the whole thing..

Destiny..
Attachments
horrible6.jpg

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:59 am

Rami.. I really did not want to use a nice font to run the risk of making your graphic look even more horrible than it is.. :lol: :p

But good to see that orange bg gone.. Much better and the 3D embossed shadowed text gone which is never a good look using it in this way. The video is not so BAM!, here and gone. Its slower.. More visually appealing.. But editing off of the menu bottoms would be better so its does not look like a screen shot of video of video.. So that needs cropping off on those that show it.. I will send you a screen shot if you do not understand..

Still needs a top natural graphic so the menu is always stable and visible..

Have a nice ZZZZZZZZ

Destiny..

Rami wrote:Yes, just for your eyes Destiny: a slower, more opaque video with no stripes :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.

BTW, the font you used to write "Horribe" is quite horrible too :) But let's have a chat tomorrow about all that. Good night for now.

— Thank you all for your feedback

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:01 am

Now the video does not run smooth and locks up.. oh hum..! The fist into before the video starts needs fixing up.. still horrible... I have some nice fonts if you want me to send them to you.. :lol:

Destiny..

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:34 am

The new site crashed Firefox on my Nexus 7 tablet. =(

I find the design of this new site very strange to understand.

But perhaps it is (intended to be) more of an online product presentation or an interactive advertisement than a web site?

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 am

Strange it crashed your Nexus..

The video does not actually display on my Samsung Tablet, its all still images.

A big issue with say the PTP page.. Its has a wide VR with the airplane man, which can be move around as a normal Pano.. But you have to scroll down using what little side bits are left which is a bit yuck...

I find this new website really yuck and annoying to use to be honest..

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:07 pm

I just checked out your new website again... I wonder to myself... Why does the video have to look soooo utterly terrible.. Highly pixulated, intensely poor quality, not worth displaying.. Really Kolor, is this the best you can do.. You are supposed to be showcasing your products.. Not killing them off... Do I need to do it for you..!!

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:18 pm

Please bring back the old web site. The new site is currently utterly unusable.

For example where can I find previous versions of Kolor software now?

It took me about 10 clicks to find the current versions of just one of the Kolor software products.

no avatar
ventrax

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by ventrax » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi,
first of all sorry for my bad english...

The new Homepage will be ok, if you look at it with a tablet.
Much pictures, less information....

But if you look for further informations using your PC, the new Homepage is slow.
Each Webside contains only a piece of information and you have to scroll thrue many Pages till you get the piece of text you look for...

the Website is too linear, not enough links to pick the page of interest.
this kind of design is great for tablets but not suitable for a PC - infact more and more Websites use it...
Please switch back to the old design and only show the new design in a mobile version.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:44 pm

Hey... What is the Academy all about?? Does this mean if someone needs help they can log a request?? Does that mean they have to pay to be trained... I cannot see someone giving up their time for a multitude of people for free to train others..

Destiny..

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:45 pm

The BBC News has just introduced a new unified responsive design for its website, this is modelled on what was previously their mobile site but is now unified on all platforms.

I'm not sure I like it as much as the old non-mobile site but it is usable of both desktop and mobile platforms.

So it can be done.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Unlike Kolor they ran both the new an old sites in parallel for a while to give non-mobile users a chance to get familiar with, and provide feedback on, the new design

no avatar
Jens

Info

by Jens » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I have to agree with most of the others here, this is not good, it is just too much. The front page with the moving video background makes me dizzy, it is just plain disturbing with all this movement while trying to make sense of the menus. More likely to drive potential customers away than to attract them. At least put a big "freeze" button there somewhere for those that find this annoying.

no avatar
Jens

Info

by Jens » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 pm

And where are the Download pages, there is no link to them from the main menu? At least I can not find it.

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:01 am

Its at the bottom of the main page.. Parts of this graphic I like but.. for me I will be making a whole bunch of my own links to pages for downloads etc, to avoid viewing this new website as much as possible, so I do not feel used at seeing promotional advertising like Adidas, which makes me so confused as to why that should even be there.. It seems to me that Kolor has gone all out to get sponsorship advertising and chucked the lot into their new website.. The new website is nothing more than a billboard for other companies advertisements with little consideration to the Panoramic Photographers needs.

You can also use the Store Link... Top menu...

Destiny..
Attachments
Yuck.jpg

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 am

Ok.. For me.. To avoid that yuck intro page, with a clash of corporate advertising and scary media graphics which locks up on my Mac, I will be setting up link on my desktop to go directly to the Store... This page is fine... Although the demo pano, which is really nice, needs a loader since it stays black for along time.. http://www.kolor.com/store/

Destiny..

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:49 am

Jens wrote:And where are the Download pages, there is no link to them from the main menu? At least I can not find it.

Each software has its own individual download page now (as I mentioned earlier).
The download center is here: http://www.kolor.com/download/

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:18 am

That link is good, the page is nice. I will add this to my Avoid The Intro Page folder.... :rolleyes:

Destiny..

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 am

Yes, the new version without diagonal stripes: much much better!

greetings from germany
Chris

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:37 am

Annis wrote:
Jens wrote:And where are the Download pages, there is no link to them from the main menu? At least I can not find it.

Each software has its own individual download page now (as I mentioned earlier).

A daft idea in my opinion; because if you want to trial one package you'll most likely wish to trial a related package too.

The download center is here: http://www.kolor.com/download/

It still seems so clumsy to me compared to the more dense on the page old version.

Some indication of the file size would be helpful for those who have limited bandwidth net connection so they have a better idea of how long it might take to download the file.

Also Download page in English links to Requirements page in French... ooops!
Attachments
1-kolorweb-download-eng.jpg
2-kolorweb-download-fr.jpg

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 444 posts
Info

by Annis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 am

mediavets wrote:A daft idea in my opinion; because if you want to trial one package you'll most likely wish to trial a related package too.
It still seems so clumsy to me compared to the more dense on the page old version.

I do not know why that decision was made, I'm just relaying the information about pages that were requested.

mediavets wrote:Some indication of the file size would be helpful for those who have limited bandwidth net connection so they have a better idea of how long it might take to download the file.

I'll pass on the feedback..

mediavets wrote:Also Download page in English links to Requirements page in French... ooops!

I'd already noticed that and have already reported it, should be fixed soon..

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:55 am

I am puzzled as to why the web designer chose to use such huge fonts in so many places.

Why was it considered desirable to use such large fonts when they take up so much screen real estate for no practical reason and merely force the user to have to scroll the page all the time reducing useability?

Here's just one example:
Attachments
1-kolorweb-fonts-fr.jpg

luck72

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by luck72 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:26 pm

Although the products sold are modern, innovative, technology-rich, sometimes to show everything is much better a pure html, simple, direct and light with a few pages, and not conufusionarie.
Nikon D810, Nikkor 16mm fisheye,20mm, 50mm, 85mm, Amarula Bushman Tripod, Gobi panoramic Head, Windows 10/64bit, Adobe Photoshop CC 2018, Lightroom Classic CC 2018, APG 4.4.1, PTP 2.5.11

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:24 pm

mediavets wrote:I am puzzled as to why the web designer chose to use such huge fonts in so many places.

Maybe they guess 4 - 5k displays are common these days . .

That´s "design" at it´s worst, sorry to say that.

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:22 pm

It seems the mask graphic is now little tiny dots which is exactly the same feature as used in my own Flash website masking. In my case, it takes the background back and bring the main features forward of the background..

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/DPSnew/index.html

Much better than those horrible strips. However, this method is great for toning down surrounding graphics, not so important media features as I have done. But the real reason for Kolor using this masking technique is to hide the poor quality video which is NOT an irrelevant media but rather a pronounced media, which should be showcased and not masked out.... It took a long time to even start to load on my Mac and then it still goes into that horrible white intro page before the videos begins to load, which continues stop then starts and are jittery in their motion.

Personally, I would rethink the video use in this way.. Image slide shows would be better, then add the video to a more acceptable iframe. I would also make the advertising graphic much more subtle by making them smaller. At the moment it looks more like a billboard. There are links at the top to software but easy to see and recognise visual icons to PTP or APG etc would be a much better option.

Personally, I feel that the entire first page needs a rethink.. Its not easy to make an eye catching website that engages the viewer.. My first website as above, took a lot of effort but I do not believe it worked too well. I had a lot of feedback to say its great but it did not get any sales. No responses via the contact. So even though it looks great to me, it did not do its job of getting customers. I am currently making up a new website too, so it can be viewed on Tablets. I need to get rid of the Flash altogether.. I have finished making my base template so now I just need to add text and images and perhaps some video. But if I add video, I would never consider a full screen option.. My aim is to keep it simple, clean and easy to navigate.. I think I have achieved this so far.. I am just lacking good quality content, but that will come in time..

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/360- ... index.html

I realise my needs are far less than Kolor's needs but what I am trying to explain is that fist impressions are important, the impact made on the first time viewer.. The impact on me when I first opened the new Kolor website was, oh yuck..!.. It irritated me.. Hard to see visuals. Lacking in quality video.. Looked like every media possible was chucked into it with no consideration on balance. I am not saying my own new website meets these expectations but i am sure it doesn't give the shock treatment like the Kolor one does..

Destiny..

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Destiny wrote:Personally, I would rethink the video use in this way.. Image slide shows would be better, then add the video to a more acceptable iframe. I would also make the advertising graphic much more subtle by making them smaller. At the moment it looks more like a billboard.

Indeed it does. :rolleyes:

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 am

Lets be picky..

Create Awesome Panoramas is says in this into: Absolutely True!

Create Awesome Virtual Tours: Absolutely True!

Create Awesome 360 Video.. Getting there..

But the question is.. The use of "Awesome". Does this demo video reel really suggest that the Kolor software is Awesome??, or does it suggest that the output quality is the same as this showcase video reel, if so not so "Awesome"..

I agree it is "Awesome" software, so therefore it needs to showcased visually as actually being "Awesome"!!

Destiny..
Attachments
imge1.jpg
image2.jpg

PreviousNext