Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:01 am 

Hi all,

It's been a while since I visited the forums, but as Google keeps information at a bare minimum on the its tools, this is again the place to come to.

First, the questions below are because I keep getting a lot of questions about Google pano's lately.... Getting an pano image in a search is all the craze apparently :-\
And I also understand you -have- to become a Google Trusted/Certified photographer, which is quite a slap in the face imho.

So...

- What can I do exactly with the tools that Google is providing as to Panotour (Pro)? Is it just uploading the pano's and a simple way to link them together?
- Or is it possible to add popups, image galleries etc. like with Panotour? I haven't seen any yet, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done ;-)
- Are there people who went through the process of becoming a Google certified photographer. Any ceveats to be worried about?
- Am I right to assume that the Google Business panorama's is something different from the Google Photo Sphere initiative?
- Last one.... Is Kolor Autopano capable of adding the needed XMP metadata for Google (Photo Sphere) pano's?

Cheers for all the answers, or weblinks to information that will answer the above. Again, I couldn't find anything substantial till now.
With some answers, I can convince a new client to go with something else than the stuff Google is throwing in your face ;-)

rob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:26 am 

Do you already have the specific equipment that as I understand it Google demands a GTP has to use?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:18 pm 

Hi,

No. I don't want to get into a whole Google acceptance program before I get my head around the pro's and cons.

I also couldn't find a list of accepted hardware that photographers -need- to have.
atm I'm running a 30D with a nodal ninja and 10mm fisheye lens, and this has served me well for years now.

Some form of filtering when one is attached to a certain 'program' is understandable, but with Google I always feel I'm selling my soul to the devil ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:39 pm 

rork wrote:
Hi,

No. I don't want to get into a whole Google acceptance program before I get my head around the pro's and cons.

I believe there are restrictions on what you can charge and typical fees mentioned by GTPs are rather low.

You are obliged to give full image rights for any purpose to your client and Google gets free license for same images from the client to use as they may wish.

Quote:
I also couldn't find a list of accepted hardware that photographers -need- to have.
atm I'm running a 30D with a nodal ninja and 10mm fisheye lens, and this has served me well for years now.

There are a number of approved camera bodies but I think a 30D is unlikely to feature on that list.

In terms of pano head I believe the options are a GTP package of the 360Precision Atome or a packaged GTP version of the Nodal Ninja U-R10.

http://www.360precision.com/360/index.c ... der.google

http://www.nodalninja.com/qr/r1-r10/gtp ... aphers/29/

I believe the lens required is the Sigma 8mm 3.5 fisheye.

Quote:
Some form of filtering when one is attached to a certain 'program' is understandable, but with Google I always feel I'm selling my soul to the devil ;-)

Many consider that you would be.

Few will say so publicly because I understand that Google imposes a draconian non-disclosure agreement on GTPs and applicant GTPs.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:19 pm 

Well, that makes it all very simple.

I'm not going to invest any major money to just get myself 'certified' with Google. Eff that.
It might be easier to partner up with a Google certified photographer, and earn something on both ends. Even it is less than normal.

Google tries to get its hands into anything that can generate advertising income, and just walses over everything and everybody :-\

Thanks for all the answers!

rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am 

After some more digging, this might be interesting information to people.

First, the whole indoor Google experience needs a Google+ page. Of course.... sigh...
Second, there -has- to be a Google Streetview available to link the inside.
If not, that one has to be created as well in addition to the inside. So what happens when stuff is not on ground level?
Last, you are to do exactly the same thing as Google Streetview.
That means, no obstacles in view. Standing or hanging. All pano's need to be a continuous string.

And not to mention a ton of stuff you have to do to keep Google happy and yourself in the program.
Like I said before, it's like selling your soul to Crowley. ;-P