Merging Images  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
sunnysleeper

Merging Images

by sunnysleeper » Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 am

In Autopano Pro, is there a way to merge images into a panorama where there is no warping or stretching of the original images at all? I only want Autopano to align the images and then to colour blend them.

no avatar
mediavets

Re: Merging Images

by mediavets » Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 am

sunnysleeper wrote:In Autopano Pro, is there a way to merge images into a panorama where there is no warping or stretching of the original images at all? I only want Autopano to align the images and then to colour blend them.

Welcome to the forum...

Were the images all taken from the same position?

How many images are there?

One row or multiple rows?

Handheld or using a proper pano head?

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 pm

sunnysleeper wrote:In Autopano Pro, is there a way to merge images into a panorama where there is no warping or stretching of the original images at all? I only want Autopano to align the images and then to colour blend them.

Stitching images always needs some warping or stretching for achieving to match the images for being seamlessly stitched.

That´s the reason it is hardly possible to take precise measurements from stitched images - for forensic, architectural or scientific use as example.

The only way to handle this is to use a "scan-camera". This camera spins around while a scan-row inside registers what the lens sees through a narrow gap or without that gap.

The advantage of such a system: due to not needing to stitch single images the ONE image which such a camera takes show absolutely no warping or stretching at all. That´s why you can take very exact measurements from it.

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/ ... /f291.cfm#
https://www.spheron.com/products/cgi-co ... agery.html (3D measurement)

The disadvantage of such a system: it´s rather expensive: around 30000 - 50000.-€

Klaus

no avatar
sunnysleeper

by sunnysleeper » Tue May 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, they were taken in the same position. 2 images only. Using about 100mm of canon f/4, 80 - 200mm lens.

When I took the photos I wasn't intending to merge them. Only later did I think it a good idea.

Autopano does a great job with the two images. Detail and blending of the sky in the final rendered pano is great.

I was just wondering if there was a command in Autopano that blended only (not warped or stretched too)

Many thanks again.

no avatar
ceggo

by ceggo » Tue May 27, 2014 12:14 am

New to the forum. I was wondering the same thing as sunnysleeper regarding merging/blending a row of images that were not intended as a pano but as a "mural".

In my case I wanted to take a high resolution image of a long object (a model of a stagecoach, a large one). I thought that literally moving my tripod placement parallel to the model and taking a series of shots would solve the resolution problem. It did.

As you know, however, this introduces odd parallax (I guess you'd call it parallax) in the shots where they overlap.

I actually got a really good result from Autopano Pro but using cylindrical projection. I was wondering as I was working if there was some sort of "flat" projection that would cover my needs. Call it "Mural Projection".

Since I got a good result I suppose it's a moot point. Curious though, as sunnysleeper posts, if there is some sort of projection that would cover such a scenario.

Regards,

Ceggo

Return to Open discussion