Do you feel depth the stitched video for Oculus RIFT ?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
st3ph

Do you feel depth the stitched video for Oculus RIFT ?

by st3ph » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:40 pm

KOLOR use Oculus RIFT to watch 3D Panoramic, but do you feel the depth?

Must we capture with 2 cameras in all directions like traditionnal 3D videos to feel the sensation of depth ?

Regards,

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Re: Do you feel depth the stitched video for Oculus RIFT ?

by AlexandreJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:00 pm

The gopro rig we are using don't produce depth. For that you need dedicated rigs.
If you have such rigs, no problem to stitch content together and get a real 3D effect.
See this tutorial about the stitching process: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... 360_videos

no avatar
st3ph

by st3ph » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Thank you for your quick response Alexandre, I am looking forward that occulus be available to the general public to test it!

Hoping that its acquisition by Mark Zuckerberg will be positive for its unfolding.

Do you make demo or showroom at Alpespace or in Savoie this year?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:57 pm

We have a permanent oculus here at our office yes.
Next exhibitions will be at IVRPA meeting @LasVegas en of May, Siggraph @Vancouver august, Photokina @ Koln september.

ATXcloud

by ATXcloud » Wed May 21, 2014 7:32 pm

I have a 3D 360 GoPro rig. The stereoscopic 3D is there & APV/APG's stitching/syncing is impressive considering the no nodal problem.

While the Depth is there, there are limitations.
- OR DK2 will have motion tracking that cameras won't be able to provide; lean forward or back/side to side/lift head or duck.
- Gopros aren't that great in low lighting. Also not sure what the Dynamic range is off the top of my head.
- Also the average consumer currently does not have the GPU power to support the media for viewing. I've had to scale down the resolution and fps to demo on other people systems. 1000x500/sphere @ 25fps viewed through a VR Player, still kills a 1Gb graphics card. What I can produce is far higher in fps & resolution.
- Finally, VR players are developed to their fullest potential. Not exactly consumer user friendly. Windows supported VRplayer is far superior over OSX's only option Total Cinema 360. TC360 is missing a lot of major & necessary features IMO. If someone has a Mac, I won't even bother demo'ing on it, it looks like garbage.

If you have an oculus, Windows natively, and have a decent rig, I can share with you some content I've rendered using APV. It's quite an experience. PM if you'd like to try it out.

- Drew

PS I'll be flying the rig for the first time on a DJI S800 EVO on Thursday. (finally the weather & RC's firmware are cooperating)

PPS, wish I could join y'all for the IVRPA conf next week. I'm booked otherwise would love to meet and greet in person.
Howdy from Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Return to Open discussion