360° panorama from centre spot  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
maximilian

360° panorama from centre spot

by maximilian » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi there,

One of my clients asked me to make him a little panorama. The goal is to make a 360° panorama of a soccer stadium from the centre spot, print it on large stickers and cover the walls of his conference room with them. The room is still under construction but will be approx. 20m long by 3m high. It's also shaped like a soccer stadium, so nice and oval.

The shoot needs to happen minutes before kickoff so the stadium is full with people. From what I know so far I have about 10 minutes to setup, take all the pictures needed and get the hell off again. Further, every game the home team supporters, behind the goal, do something colourful. Something like trowing toilet paper rolls onto the field. This action happens exactly on the moment the players enter the field, approx 2 minutes before kickoff. This action needs to be included in the panorama.

My plan so far is to first make the full 360° panorama, then point my camera at the section behind the goal and wait for the special action. When it happens I plan to take several pictures of the action in continuous mode, pick up my gear and run! :)

The first thing I calculated was the proportion of the panorama. 20x3m translates to 360x54°.

The second thing I considered was the action part of the panorama. Since I need to get that part of the panorama in 1 shot I had to calculate the minimum VHOV. Given the dimensions of the pitch this would be between 65° and 70°. Maybe 60° will do, but better save than sorry.

Then there is the final resolution of the panaroma. The company that will do the printing told me to create a file with a minimum resolution of 150 pixels/inch since people will be able to look at the print from really close. Photoshop is telling me the file needs to be 118110 x 17702 px to get a 20 x 3 m image at 150 pixels/inch.

My problem now is to balance all my decisions. A wide lens, something like a 18mm, for the action shot gives me no chance to get the resolution I want and vice versa. Can I get away with less resolution and still get a decent print? I also need to make sure I can make this panorama within the given timeframe. Moving people is also one of my concerns.

Any thoughts on this? I could really use some good advice.

I have the following equipment:

Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 fisheye (shaved)
Zeiss 85mm f1.4

NN RS-1 with RD5 rotator
NN M2 with RD16-II rotator
Clauss Rodeon ST

Thanks,

Max

Destiny

Re: 360° panorama from centre spot

by Destiny » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi... Can't wait to see the results of this effort.... =D

Forget the 10.5 fisheye... Too much crop for a FX camera. I would have thought that the Clauss Rodeon ST has speed mode.. Add a wide angle lens like a 14-24 to the D800, and keep the entire rig at 90... You might get away to two rows but I think far too much movement.. I think you will need to run some test to find the best lens setup if you are to use your list of lenses. If you are then to capture photos from the goal, I think you need two people.. One ready to capture your stills...

Good luck.. love your innovative thoughts...

Destiny...

no avatar
maximilian

by maximilian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:01 am

Destiny wrote:Hi... Can't wait to see the results of this effort.... =D

Forget the 10.5 fisheye... Too much crop for a FX camera. I would have thought that the Clauss Rodeon ST has speed mode.. Add a wide angle lens like a 14-24 to the D800, and keep the entire rig at 90... You might get away to two rows but I think far too much movement.. I think you will need to run some test to find the best lens setup if you are to use your list of lenses. If you are then to capture photos from the goal, I think you need two people.. One ready to capture your stills...

Destiny...

My thoughts on the 10.5 fisheye where exactly the same. It's a great lens for indoor vt work, but even then it's not giving me the results I am after. List of equipment is just informative, maybe there is a good solution to be found with it? I don't like the idea of using the 14-24mm zoom because ... it's a zoom. But I like to think out of the box. If a new/other lens will do a beter job then I'm all for it. At the end my goal is to deliver what my client has in it's mind. Almost all my project require creative solutions to complete them. That's why I love my job.

To be honest, as I'm writing this, my Rodeon head is in Koeln for the moment. At least, that's what the UPS website tracker is telling me! :) Monday, the bloody thing will finally arrive on Monday! Up till now it did everything the manual way! :)

So it's perfectly possible to capture the action behind the goal with a second camera and stitch one of these in the final panorama? Does this second camera require the same lens? What about camera alignment?

Given the limited time a simple row panorama with plenty of overlap sounds ideal. But what about the resolution. I have to be able to print a giant sticker.

It goes without saying! Sure I will share the final panorama with this sweet Kolor Community. I already learned a lot by reading this forum.

Regards,

Max

no avatar
maximilian

by maximilian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 am

Destiny wrote:

Destiny...

There are plenty of other rather crazy projects on the way. Just don't want to mix them up in one big topic.

Max

Destiny

by Destiny » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:52 am

Hi.. For indoor VRs the 10.5 fisheye is very nice but the 16mm fisheye with your D800 is better since its an FX lens....

The 14-24 has not that much zoom.. I suggested it since its very wide.. Set to Portrait 90 degrees in my opinion is the best option since you want to create a huge panoramic image.. If you use a fisheye, you will not get a straight image.. By the way.. 150dpi is not good.. You need a minimum of 300dpi if you are wanting people to see fine detail.. 600dpi even better. Export your RAW as 32bit TIFs then in Photoshop save as CMYK TIFs.. Your prints will be better for it..

Trying to do what you want with manual head, the game will start while you are still capturing image 20... If I were attempting this, I would use Speed mode on my VR Drive and you need to set your camera to capture the images as quickly as your camera will allow, turn off auto focus... Everything set to manual.

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:43 am

maximilian wrote:Hi there,

One of my clients asked me to make him a little panorama. The goal is to make a 360° panorama of a soccer stadium from the centre spot, print it on large stickers and cover the walls of his conference room with them. The room is still under construction but will be approx. 20m long by 3m high. It's also shaped like a soccer stadium, so nice and oval.

Max

I don't think the concept is viable.

Your stitched pano will have a spherical or maybe a cylindical projection but the room is not that shape.

no avatar
maximilian

by maximilian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:49 am

mediavets wrote:I don't think the concept is viable.

Your stitched pano will have a spherical or maybe a cylindical projection but the room is not that shape.

So unless they build a cylindrical room the print part of the idea will not work? Is there another way?

The objective is not to cover the walls of the conference room with a technically perfect image of the stadium. It's more about capturing the atmosphere in the stadium and importing this feeling into the room. My client represents some top international players. The room is used to negotiate and sign deals. We want to create a wauw effect and bring people in the right mood.

Max
Last edited by maximilian on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
maximilian

by maximilian » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:05 am

Destiny wrote:The 14-24 has not that much zoom.. I suggested it since its very wide.. Set to Portrait 90 degrees in my opinion is the best option since you want to create a huge panoramic image.. If you use a fisheye, you will not get a straight image..

Using a fisheye was not even an option I considered. A 14-24mm lens in portrait mode sounds great but I would rather use a prime lens like a 18mm or 21mm.

Destiny wrote:By the way.. 150dpi is not good.. You need a minimum of 300dpi if you are wanting people to see fine detail.. 600dpi even better. Export your RAW as 32bit TIFs then in Photoshop save as CMYK TIFs.. Your prints will be better for it..

150dpi is the minimum resolution the print company requires. Normally I never go below 300dpi when I create a document or image for print. In some cases I even go higher, depending on the kind of paper that will be used and the printers capabilities.

Destiny wrote:Trying to do what you want with manual head, the game will start while you are still capturing image 20... If I were attempting this, I would use Speed mode on my VR Drive and you need to set your camera to capture the images as quickly as your camera will allow, turn off auto focus... Everything set to manual.

Attempting to do this shoot manually was not even on my mind. That's why the Rodeon is on route to me. I always shoot manual and never use auto focus.

Max

Return to Open discussion