What is your internet speed on average?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 227 posts
Info

What is your internet speed on average?

by Destiny » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi..

More of a survey here really.. As we know with all this new technology, its all well and good but can we all use it and view it as it was designed.. New and more exciting technologies are being released quicker than ever before.. Its becoming hard to keep up with it all.. The new Kolor 360 video et al and the LivePano with video needs a fairly good internet connection to view it as it was meant to be viewed.. So.. how is your internet speed.. Is it up to viewing all this new 360 video technology..??

User Name Country/State Interent Speed

Destiny Australia/Queensland currently 100 kb ps
Destiny Australia/Queensland New NBN being rolled out.. 25 megabits per second

Next..
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Good question. History show us that it is a push-pull combination between bandwidth and the media offered. Youtube helped creating a demand for high speed connections and when they came with HD it pushed the demand again. 360 video will push the bar again.

Besdie this push-pull effect, one can ask oneself if 360 video is a form of communication that is really effective. Problably technology will push the use of it and this will create usefull ways

I have a 8/1 mbps line, upload being the 1
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Country/State Interent Speed[/color][/b]

Germany/Duesseldorf 32mbps

Depending on the day´s time. At the moment it´s 20mbps.

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Here 100/100M for fiber, and approaching for lucky ones near dslam with release of VDSL technology but you have to be careful that speed of media used (Fiber/adsl/vdsll) doesn't mean you have really access at such high speeds as multiple bottlenecks can be present between you and server you reach ;)

Vincen
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:12 pm

vincen wrote:Here 100/100M for fiber, and approaching for lucky ones near dslam with release of VDSL technology but you have to be careful that speed of media used (Fiber/adsl/vdsll) doesn't mean you have really access at such high speeds as multiple bottlenecks can be present between you and server you reach ;)

Vincen

Hey Vincen!

Yep - i realize big differences depending on where the server is located. My 32mbps is the theoretical speed - which i have at night-time and
calling an URL from a speedy server.
I´ll upgrade to 50mbps in two weeks - then the upload is faster.

My son has 100mbps bidirectional in the science-center . . . . that´s REALLY fast . . :-))

best, Klaus

vincen
Kolor Certified Trainer

Liked in: 4 posts
Info

by vincen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm

klausesser wrote:Yep - i realize big differences depending on where the server is located. My 32mbps is the theoretical speed - which i have at night-time and
calling an URL from a speedy server.

Yep it depends of:
-> ratio used by your ISP between its global bandwith avalaible and number of suscribers
-> peering it uses
-> routes between you and server you reach
-> bandwith and power of server you reach
Blog: http://www.skivr.com
Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16 on Benro Tripod + Ultimate R1 on Nodal Ninja P2 + Nikon D800 + Nikkor 10.5 + Nikkor 14/24 f/2.8 +Pentax 645D

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Thats just amazing... I am supposed to have their Turbo.. Nothing turbo about it.. 100kp pr second but its a heap quicker than the the slower option.. We have to wait for the national board band network to be rolled out before we can get 25mb per second.. We are truly way behind.. Some schools I teach at it almost stops... Terrible.. But with high speed fibre it will come at a cost $$$ I will have to sign up to a $40 per month deal but thats all relevant to the cost of living here.. It will not be until about 2030 for the last to be connected...

Not sure when we can get ours.. http://www.nbnco.com.au/when-do-i-get-it/rollout-map.html?cid=ps:ggl:Education-NationalBrand-Search-Computer:nbn&gclid=CLjWr7v917cCFQ9BpgodrAMAow

The issue is that the requirements of the internet are becoming more and more demanding... Major software mobs are aiming to have all of their software online, like Cloud.. There will not be any downloadable options. That will cut out the dodgy software... but, not every country will have high-speed.. In Thailand its very cheap but not very reliable.. and certainly not high-speed.. The poor would never be able to afford to pay for it...

I really do not get it.. This screen shot is the best that is offered, with ADSL2.. But look at the speed.. So, how come you are offered speeds greater than 50 mbps.. yet I will only be offered 25mb ps when the new NBN is rolled out, currently I get 100kp ps and this option below offers 256 kp ps.... This is expensive too.. :rolleyes:

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 am

You might want to use this to test your internet .. Mine is a lot better than I thought it was but no where as good as in other countries...

I just uploaded a tour but where it was fine for me.. it was not so fine for others at different locations around the world.. There are heaps of variables to consider.. It might be fast to upload to personal server, but thats probably the fastest it will ever be .. after that, it is reliant on gateways and other countries setup, band width etc...

http://testmy.net/

Destiny..

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 8 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 am

My internet is not dsl, it is via tv cable by unitymedia. Although download is speedy enough, i am planning to switch to a 100mbit line, this will give me 5mbit upload. Simply because my webservers are in-house.

greetings from germany
Chris

Last edited by Christian Stüben on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
always remember, the world is a flat disk.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 am

There are a few examples of 360 video being showcased a the Iceland IVRPA conference.. However, many of these examples will not run on my internet connection... but some will. I guess the ones that do work OK'ish the company have taking into account the fact that we all do not have very fast internet speed.. in my opinion, what is the point in creating a software app which is only restricted to those who have adequate internet speed so are able to view their 360 video media. Bit stupid really.. Its those who have taken this into account who will succeed long term...

http://www.iceland2013.org/project/ignacio-ferrando-margeli-making-360-video-the-freedom-way/

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 am

Now here is a worry I have just thought about.. Yesterday had an email from a friend who is at the Iceland IVRPA conference.. He said that the "Internet speed is very slow..." Emm.. For those who are showcasing their 360 video that would be a worry but also Kolor who are show casing the new PTP V2 with Livepano and their own 360 video.. Only time will tell how this effected them.. But at least it will provide the software developers an insight into slow internet and how important it will be to facilitate the needs of those users who only have slow internet speed... Hopefully this was all anticipated ;)

Destiny..

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

Destiny wrote:in my opinion, what is the point in creating a software app which is only restricted to those who have adequate internet speed so are able to view their 360 video media. Bit stupid really.. Its those who have taken this into account who will succeed long term...

It´s called technical evolution. Always some are going ahead and it takes some time until others can follow.
In the meantime new technologies of compressing and transporting data are on the run.

Who could afford to buy and to use the very first cell-phones? Look what it´s like today! :D

best, Klaus

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:34 pm

allways a good speedtest worth is following link:

www.speedtest.net

(you can select the Server you wanna test... so you can test the link to NY, etc.
Icland I get my full local Internet Speed with 5mbit down (to me) and 400kb uplink (max. I have is 500kb uplink)

so ist not iceland itself, it can be the local Hotel link...(or ist an upgrade product at the Hotel Lobby)

PS:; speedtest is also available for mobiles...

Georg

ADDON Destiny: I could upgrade my xDSL to 4g/LTE Internet with up to 150mbit/50mbit (down/up) but with datalimits, the 150/50 Version would cost me 49€/month...
(source: http://www.a1.net/internet/internet-box )

Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Artisan S.

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Artisan S. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 pm

To slow! Never mind how fast it is, it's always to slow.

Greets, Ed.
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to... suffering (c) Yoda.....

Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Arduino Uno.

no avatar
vklaffehn

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by vklaffehn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:12 pm

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:57 pm

It is indeed atechnical evolution in that technology gets faster, better, cheaper.
It is good entrepeneurship to profit from this. That can be spending money on more bandwidth to earn money in the end.

But which bandwidth are we talking about. A) The bandwidth between your workstation and your webserver or B) the bandwidth between your webserver and the people that your website and panoramas are served too.

If your webserver is in the same LAN (local network at the office or home) A will be great but B) depends a lot on the upload speed the connection to the internet has.
If your webserver/site is hosted by a provider B will be much higher and capable to serve many visitors at the same time, but A is limited by the upload speed you have at the office/home

Now there is also C, the download speed of the visitor from the internet. This can be very high but also limited to "just" a 3G connection.
Finally there is the offline option, can someone load your website/panorama offline, show and view it while no internetconnection is there.

Yes people are more and more online and the speed of C will be higher and higher.

Most important thing for me is that this speed will vary a lot and you need a product that can serve all kind of C's! That is much more important then the connection I have at the office/home myself
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm

How much do you pay for that connection?

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:41 pm

My goodness.. Thats monstrous...!! Makes mine look like stone age... and sometimes it feels like it.. Totally useless for most LivePano's, and 360 video.. Its ok having this technology, but most here in Australia are in the same boat.. We can get a bit quicker with the ADSL-2 but that cost heaps more.. , but is still no where near 46mb/s... Even with the new National Board-band, it still will not get there.. Now the Government is taking about putting Copper from Fibre to the home to make it cheaper but that will reduce the speed by heaps.. and.. it will be up to the home owner to connect it.. To me, many will not bother doing that for the cost of it so then the question has to be asked, why are they bothering to roll out Fibre, just for the few that will be able to afford it.. Again.. Technology for the well off and those that need it the most, miss out.. One big argument in the first place was to bring high speed internet in for Education..

Technology is getter more advance so therefore more demand is placed on speed of the internet.. A case-in-point, LivePano and 360 Video.. Expensive to set up, and just about useless in Australia for most, since the internet is just too slow to view it... It will also depend on where you live too.. When we lived just 200m away, we had double speed using a different network.. Now here we have the Telstra network, the biggest provider of telecommunications in Australia, and its next to useless.. We will not be getting the National Broad-band for a few more years yet.. Thats if the new government even continue with it..

So.. whats the point of developing new technologies when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed.....

Destiny..

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Destiny wrote:So.. whats the point of developing new technologies when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed.....

Are you saying "No. no! No developing new technologies anywhere - we live in Australia and so we can´t use it" ? ;):cool:

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:33 pm

No Klaus.. I am not....!! :P:rolleyes:

Destiny....

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:So.. whats the point of developing new technologies when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed.....

Are you saying "No. no! No developing new technologies anywhere - we live in Australia and so we can´t use it" ? ;):cool:

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 pm

klausesser wrote:

Klaus

No Klaus. She said:

"So.. whats the point of developing new technologies when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed..... "

By which she meant if her target audience cannot reliably view stuff - like LivePano - then there's little point in (her) creating it.

I feel the same way about stuff like that for a UK-based audience.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Exactly Andrew.. The audience I am creating my media for is within Australia.... If they cannot view it due to internet speed restrictions.. Then what is the point since my audience cannot view it very well... At least not until our internet speed is greatly improved on...

Destiny...

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Klaus

No Klaus. She said:

"So.. whats the point of developing new technologies when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed..... "

By which she meant if her target audience cannot reliably view stuff - like LivePano - then there's little point in (her) creating it.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:43 pm

mediavets wrote:No Klaus. She said:

I can read what she writes, thanks you, Andrew . . :cool:

She wrote: "So.. whats the point of developing new technologies [b]when the audience is limited to those with adequate internet speed..... "

Technological development CAN NOT take in account the transfer-speed everywhere in the world or ALL infratructures around the globe.
Isn´t that obvious?

So WHAT does Destiny´s words say? That not every "audience" everywhere can have a profit from the "developing new technologies"?

RIGHT! That´s a fact. A well known fact for some hunderd years . . . .

What´s to do? Stopping any developement of new technologies??

Destiny´s location in Australia makes it hard for HER and her cliets to get fast connections. I understand that. But does that speak against "developing new technologies"?

Sorry: i don´think so.

best, Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

Destiny wrote:The audience I am creating my media for is within Australia.... If they cannot view it due to internet speed restrictions.. Then what is the point since my audience cannot view it very well... At least not until our internet speed is greatly improved on...

I understand that completely - but: is that a problem caused by "developing new technologies"??

I doubt. It´s a problem of NOT having developed the infrastucture in your area in time! And now you blame "developing of new technologies" for that?

There are MUCH smaller countries in the world than Australia which very well have developed their IT-infrastructure to a point
having fast internet for most of their people.

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:48 am

Exactly, much smaller, meaning they need much less infrastucture and resources. Australia is 33 times bigger than the UK... and heaps bigger than Germany.

And as for the rest of my comments...You missed the point I was making...:rolleyes:

Destiny

Next