Panoramic Beach Photos  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
fermiest

Panoramic Beach Photos

by fermiest » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:23 am

Hi all,

I am huge fan oh night shoots and got interested on how to take panoramic ones! :)
At this stage, and because I am an amateur... I would like to ask your help on what would be the most suitable machine to take this kind of photos...

Do you think Girocam could handle it?

Cheers,
Fermiest

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:28 pm

fermiest wrote:Hi all,

I am huge fan oh night shoots and got interested on how to take panoramic ones! :)
At this stage, and because I am an amateur... I would like to ask your help on what would be the most suitable machine to take this kind of photos...

Do you think Girocam could handle it?

Cheers,
Fermiest

Hi!

Depends on what you expect - but: no - i don´t think Girocam can handle it.

I suggest first to use a manual head and i also suggest to do bracketing with at least 7 steps. For night-shot some time ago a guy
invented the "PromoteControl" device. With this device you can dramatically expand the bracketing-capabilities of - there´s a list - Nikon and Canon and some other cameras.
More than 21 steps bracketing are possible.
With night-shots you need many steps at small differences. Preferably 7 - 12 steps@1EV difference.

Be aware good night-shots aren´t easy! First make some non-pano tests with your camera to get used to night-shots.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
fermiest

by fermiest » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 am

Hi Klaus!

Thanks for your tips!!

A friend of my mine send me today an image from a 360º at Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, and I got really astonished with the quality...
What makes me even more curious its how its possible to make such a fast shot... it´s a little suspicious... probably it was used like 3 cameras...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iunvxh2twmmr03k/face_sphere.jpg

That its why I asked about girocam... :)

Cheers,
Fermiest
Last edited by fermiest on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am

fermiest wrote:Hi Klaus!

Thanks for your tips!!

A friend of my mine send me today an image from a 360º at Rio de Janeiro - Brazil, and I got really astonished with the quality...
What makes me even more curious its how its possible to make such a fast shot... it´s a little suspicious... probably it was used like 3 cameras...

Cheers,
Fermiest

No, just a very skilled and experienced photographer:

http://ayrton.com/360/archives/243/reveillon-2008-copacabana-rio-de-janeiro-foto-360%C2%BA-panorama/

Shot using a pole.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:01 am

fermiest wrote:That its why I asked about girocam... :)

Hi Fermiest!

I see. But as Andrew said already: very skilled photographer. And: it´s not quite the usual "night-shot" . . ;) It´s rather bright light from the fireworks.
Doing al lot more shots than needed allows you to mask out many ghosts - that´s what Ayrton did.

The Girocam´s resolution and image-qulity is rather low regarding it´s price. If you need a one-shot solution: use a rig of 6 GoPro cameras which all fire at the same time.
That´s more expensive than a Girocam - but it´s of better image-quality and it´s a full sphere. And you can make it full-HD video also.

But with some training you also can do such pictures with a usual camera and a fisheye-lens.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:30 pm

mediavets wrote:
fermiest wrote:Hi Klaus!

Thanks for your tips!!

Cheers,
Fermiest

No, just a very skilled and experienced photographer:

http://ayrton.com/360/archives/243/reveillon-2008-copacabana-rio-de-janeiro-foto-360%C2%BA-panorama/

Shot using a pole.

yes - but with criminal Sound...:lol:

Return to Open discussion