Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:33 pm 

First I've to say I did hate every single line I did read about Windows 8.
I absolute did not found any access to the fingertip & tiling concept for an workplace PC.

But since mid december my Windows 7 did behave unnormal...

Automatic update did stop working - I did try more than 80 Microsoft proofen Support Solutions ... even with commandline Tools doing unregistering and de-licening of my OEM Win7 that cam with my Dell PC. I did debug my Firewall, tried different ones, even tried it with uninstalling and deep cleaning registry with Tools coming from Microsoft Support and from Firewall side.
(sidenote - no spam, no Virus, no worm, no spam or whatever tool was discovered by more than 10 Tools I used find some)
in result - no solution.

than my Outlook mail Programm did stop displaying imagages in mail previews first, some days later also in opened mails. Again, several dozens Solutions that worked for others with same description found on Internet did not the Magic for me.

Mid january than my onboard raid Controller stated the RAID1 is degraded. A replair took 10 hours and 4-5 hours after successfully finisheing the repair the RAID1 was again degraded with finally failing HD.

ok... 12 hours later the RAID1 was rebuilt with the new disc. about 3weeks later the second HD did fail... no repair attemempt from my side... 10 hours later a new disc was rebuilt (I did buy 2 discs the first time).

so what Solutions could be left?

... I decided to Upgrade to Windows8 Pro.

The Upgrade is simple than never before. Nearly no Option I could false branch away. And Update is slow. 5 hours or so.
first surprise: no Programm was claimed to not work with win8 after the upgrade. No surprise: this Statement was false: first starting my TV-USB-Card from Terratec did fail with note that Installation did fail I should repair them... ok reinstalled same Software and it works without issues now.

got my initial problems solved I had finally with win7?
Yes - the Windows update process is working now. (Not from beginning: I had to reboot win8 first after Installation, before downloading the displayed available updates are really started to download)
The first update cycle did take very Long time, 5 hours or so for 800mb for 36updates and later 5 more updates with 400mb filesize. (I had at that time 1.8mbit free dsl line...)
Yes - my untouched Outlook now displayed Images again in preview and after opening the mails
YES - all my security Tools like Firewall, AV scanner etc. are the same, untouched in configuration and properly working.

is Windows 8 working properly: NO

the new tiles on Initial Windows Screen work in most cases - they Display the info Feeds they pull from Internet. Some less important ones like the App Store Displays 15 after enabling live-feed, but accessing the app only Displays an empty Screen. Many of the apps have the same behavior... finally I found two or three now working. the rest...;.-(
On Internet I found not a few fellow sufferers... Solutions many ... but None working for me. Most promising suspicion: the graphics Card Driver. I did uninstall the latest available WHQL certified nvidia 310.90 Driver.
while uninstalling: black Screen & hangup PC - hardreset per powerbutton - reboot - RAID1 verifiying for 5 hours (no issues finally) - trying to reinstall the Driver for 4 times - each time I had more success until Installation got aborted. Finallythe 4th time the Installation succeeded... tiles Problem still not solved.

now to some aha Feelings I want to share:

the Gadgets Miscrosoft did drop. So I hardly missed my CPU,GPU,Clock,Lotto-app,Firewall-gadget etc.
here the solution: Microsoft did not drop the Gadgets itself, they survived the upgrade, only the Sidebar Programm to Display the widgets got cicked off by Microsoft.
a replacement sidebar can be found here: http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/
(plus: I now can run more than one sidebar, also on my second Display...) The widgets are the original win7 ones...

2. to Display a list of all installed apps on the win8 Desktop (not with the app list):
open the Windows Explorer and type in:
Code:
shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

3. the taskbar from Windows 7 now lost the "Start"-Button menu where all programms got listed. This is now replaced by the Windows tiles on Initial Screen.
Pro: the taskbar itself now is shown on all Screens, not only on the main Screen like with Windows 7. So this saves a lot "miles" on the mouse-odometer.

4. a win8 reboot is slower than under win7 (with same non SSD disc used for OS and with no fastboot Features available). Under win7 my WLAN devices was the last one which got ready to work. So I had to wait 1-2 Minutes after Windows finished booting and I logged in. Now with Win8 Login Screen by Default the account is associated with thy Microsofte live ID, so Login & Passwords are verified online via live ID and so now I've to wait until the WLAN is available before the Login takes place. Ist not 1-2 minutes now... ist less time, but the win8 Login is subjectively slower.

5. IE10 preview on Win7 was the worsest Software I ever tested. Finally no preview ist in best case Alpha Status. hangups, 30% of all Websites not working, slow. I did unintsll IE10 preivew and got surprisingly automatically back my IE9 before I upgraded to win8. Now IE10 final Version is installed. faster than IE10preview, but slower than IE9 and other browser I installed.

my conclusion: if you dont have to upgrade because of whatever reasons you got forced to do so... you can stick on Windows 7 without feeling guilty ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

EDITED: Link to 8gadgetpack corrected !!!!

Last edited by gkaefer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

Thanks George for sharing this with use

Sounds like yet another case of "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ;-)

gkaefer wrote:
First I've to say I did hate every single line I did read about Windows 8.
I absolute did not found any access to the fingertip & tiling concept for an workplace PC.

But since mid december my Windows 7 did behave unnormal...

Automatic update did stop working - I did try more than 80 Microsoft proofen Support Solutions ... even with commandline Tools doing unregistering and de-licening of my OEM Win7 that cam with my Dell PC. I did debug my Firewall, tried different ones, even tried it with uninstalling and deep cleaning registry with Tools coming from Microsoft Support and from Firewall side.
(sidenote - no spam, no Virus, no worm, no spam or whatever tool was discovered by more than 10 Tools I used find some)
in result - no solution.

than my Outlook mail Programm did stop displaying imagages in mail previews first, some days later also in opened mails. Again, several dozens Solutions that worked for others with same description found on Internet did not the Magic for me.

Mid january than my onboard raid Controller stated the RAID1 is degraded. A replair took 10 hours and 4-5 hours after successfully finisheing the repair the RAID1 was again degraded with finally failing HD.

ok... 12 hours later the RAID1 was rebuilt with the new disc. about 3weeks later the second HD did fail... no repair attemempt from my side... 10 hours later a new disc was rebuilt (I did buy 2 discs the first time).

so what Solutions could be left?

... I decided to Upgrade to Windows8 Pro.

The Upgrade is simple than never before. Nearly no Option I could false branch away. And Update is slow. 5 hours or so.
first surprise: no Programm was claimed to not work with win8 after the upgrade. No surprise: this Statement was false: first starting my TV-USB-Card from Terratec did fail with note that Installation did fail I should repair them... ok reinstalled same Software and it works without issues now.

got my initial problems solved I had finally with win7?
Yes - the Windows update process is working now. (Not from beginning: I had to reboot win8 first after Installation, before downloading the displayed available updates are really started to download)
The first update cycle did take very Long time, 5 hours or so for 800mb for 36updates and later 5 more updates with 400mb filesize. (I had at that time 1.8mbit free dsl line...)
Yes - my untouched Outlook now displayed Images again in preview and after opening the mails
YES - all my security Tools like Firewall, AV scanner etc. are the same, untouched in configuration and properly working.

is Windows 8 working properly: NO

the new tiles on Initial Windows Screen work in most cases - they Display the info Feeds they pull from Internet. Some less important ones like the App Store Displays 15 after enabling live-feed, but accessing the app only Displays an empty Screen. Many of the apps have the same behavior... finally I found two or three now working. the rest...;.-(
On Internet I found not a few fellow sufferers... Solutions many ... but None working for me. Most promising suspicion: the graphics Card Driver. I did uninstall the latest available WHQL certified nvidia 310.90 Driver.
while uninstalling: black Screen & hangup PC - hardreset per powerbutton - reboot - RAID1 verifiying for 5 hours (no issues finally) - trying to reinstall the Driver for 4 times - each time I had more success until Installation got aborted. Finallythe 4th time the Installation succeeded... tiles Problem still not solved.

now to some aha Feelings I want to share:

the Gadgets Miscrosoft did drop. So I hardly missed my CPU,GPU,Clock,Lotto-app,Firewall-gadget etc.
here the solution: Microsoft did not drop the Gadgets itself, they survived the upgrade, only the Sidebar Programm to Display the widgets got cicked off by Microsoft.
a replacement sidebar can be found here: http://nes.bplaced.net/sidebar7.html
(plus: I now can run more than one sidebar, also on my second Display...) The widgets are the original win7 ones...

2. to Display a list of all installed apps on the win8 Desktop (not with the app list):
open the Windows Explorer and type in:
Code:
shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

3. the taskbar from Windows 7 now lost the "Start"-Button menu where all programms got listed. This is now replaced by the Windows tiles on Initial Screen.
Pro: the taskbar itself now is shown on all Screens, not only on the main Screen like with Windows 7. So this saves a lot "miles" on the mouse-odometer.

4. a win8 reboot is slower than under win7 (with same non SSD disc used for OS and with no fastboot Features available). Under win7 my WLAN devices was the last one which got ready to work. So I had to wait 1-2 Minutes after Windows finished booting and I logged in. Now with Win8 Login Screen by Default the account is associated with thy Microsofte live ID, so Login & Passwords are verified online via live ID and so now I've to wait until the WLAN is available before the Login takes place. Ist not 1-2 minutes now... ist less time, but the win8 Login is subjectively slower.

5. IE10 preview on Win7 was the worsest Software I ever tested. Finally no preview ist in best case Alpha Status. hangups, 30% of all Websites not working, slow. I did unintsll IE10 preivew and got surprisingly automatically back my IE9 before I upgraded to win8. Now IE10 final Version is installed. faster than IE10preview, but slower than IE9 and other browser I installed.

my conclusion: if you dont have to upgrade because of whatever reasons you got forced to do so... you can stick on Windows 7 without feeling guilty ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm 

;-) Murphy is greeting...

I meanwhile had to restor from a autosavepoint. ;-))
I disabled all "3rd Party security Tools, regcleaner, ram optimizer, etc.). My Kaspersky AV scanner I did not uninstall, because first Microsoft Win8 compatible listed.... But I stopped it and did enable MS Firewall and all onboard Tools. THAN a lot no longer worked...
after going back to previous savepoint. I had to download all 800MB Updates again...
... currently all again back it works. except the tiles from FrontPage...

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 pm 

Hi Georg,

Glad you got most of it working again.

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.