PPV360HD - Viewer for Gigapixel images on Android devices  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
ThomasGE

PPV360HD - Viewer for Gigapixel images on Android devices

by ThomasGE » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 am

PPV360HD is the only native Gigapixel Pano (360 images) Viewer for Android Devices, smartphones and tablets:
https://sites.google.com/site/andrewdc09/Software/ppv360hd

Works fine, what's missing is the possibility to link together several panorama images to create a tour.
Last edited by ThomasGE on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:38 pm

ThomasGE wrote:PPV360HD is the only native Gigapixel Pano (360 images) Viewer for Android Devices, smartphones and tablets:

Works fine, what's missing is the possibility to link together several panorama images to create a tour.

1) It´s Android only. No iPad/-Phone. 98% of commercial clients use iPads. So i wouldn´t name it "professional".
2) i can´t find a price. What does it cost?
3) Does it really support multi-resolution the way KRPano or PanoTourPro generates it?

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:11 pm

ThomasGE wrote:PPV360HD is the only native Gigapixel Pano (360 images) Viewer for Android Devices, smartphones and tablets:

sony xperia X10 with android 2.3.3 - fatal crash. no single startup...
maybe i've to install 8GB ram....
Georg

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:37 pm

gkaefer wrote:

sony xperia X10 with android 2.3.3 - fatal crash. no single startup...
Georg

Hey Georg!

Did you realize it´s NOT for online-use? You need to download a pano to the device to show it there.

best, Klaus

P.S.
the problem with Androids: there are too many differing versions of hardware and OS-type. Such things
make clients feel better buying iPads. They know that apps for iPads really work on iPads and they don´t need to bother which of the
zillion derivates an app might run with - or not. ;)
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:41 pm

gkaefer wrote:sony xperia X10 with android 2.3.3 - fatal crash. no single startup...
Georg

See: https://sites.google.com/site/andrewdc09/Software/ppv360hd/ppv360hd-2#TOC-System-Requirements
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 pm

mediavets wrote:
gkaefer wrote:sony xperia X10 with android 2.3.3 - fatal crash. no single startup...
Georg

See: https://sites.google.com/site/andrewdc09/Software/ppv360hd/ppv360hd-2#TOC-System-Requirements

lol.
2.0 or higher is supported... but on some devices it may hang because of graphic driver bugs.
well - after years now using my buggy device with at peak time more than 280 apps running I must say, that THIS app is the first one that does not start at all.
so is it a bug in a device driver or rather missing knowledge to program error free. for me its clear...
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
ThomasGE

by ThomasGE » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm

Works great on a Nexus 7. Andrea, the developer, is always looking for feedback.

@Klaus: The thread headline says big, fat & clear "...for Android devices".
If you want to start some OS bashing you are on the wrong adress. Alles klar?
Und wer lesen kann ist auch im Vorteil: https://sites.google.com/site/andrewdc09/Software/ppv360hd/ppv360hd-2
Last edited by ThomasGE on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:06 pm

ThomasGE wrote:Works great on a Nexus 7. Andrea, the developer, is always looking for feedback.

Und wer lesen kann ist auch im Vorteil: https://sites.google.com/site/andrewdc09/Software/ppv360hd/ppv360hd-2

Well... it states for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac in the banner heading:

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:39 pm

mediavets wrote:
ThomasGE wrote:Works great on a Nexus 7. Andrea, the developer, is always looking for feedback.

Well... it states for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac in the banner heading:

Yeahh . . . but look into the system requirements . . . ;):cool:

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:Well... it states for Android, iOS, Windows and Mac in the banner heading:

Yeahh . . . but look into the system requirements . . . ;):cool:

best, Klaus

I am agreeing with you.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
ClaudioTZ

by ClaudioTZ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm

I've found this great app googling your forum, and on my asus (TF701, with 10.1″ 1920 à— 1200 display) I've no problem in startup.

All others Android panorama app crash with image up to 40 mega pixel (google photosphere craches too).. simply cannot be viewed locally.

But this app can load my high-resolution panos without problem (I've tested with my 650 Mega Pixel - 150 MB image) and viewing is very smooth (pintch and zoom, shifting)... faster than my PC with flash player... it's a lot of data for a tablet.

I have the same behavior on my samsung galaxy s2, but of course for this kind of work is best to use a tablet, at least for a professional usage (I would not use a cheap smartphone to showcase a panoramic image to my clients).

I asked the author about others OS, and he replays me that they are following.. he shows me a video with a Windows based Tour looks like the android version, with remote image and hotspot.

@gkaefer: from author site:
Please try the demo version first, to check compatibility with your specific device, viewing some images in the public gallery.

Generally, when your device has an hardware incompatibility issue, the app refuses to start.
Please let us know sending a note with your device brand, model and Android version, will try to make a turn-around, if possible.

So he knows that some device may fall, and let you try the demo first.... have you send him a note with your phone model?
in my Experience, Android is a very difficult platform to play with.. I'm waiting for the iPad version

Claudio

Return to Open discussion