Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: 360*180 panoramas
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 am 

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to actually calculate how many rows and how many pictures per row are necessary to shot these 360*180 panoramas.

I´ve an Excel file where by adding the sensor size and focal length of the gear, you can calculate how many shots per row you need for "normal panoramas", but 360*180 are different as you need less photos/row as you go up to the zennit/nadir points.

The reason I´m asing is that I want to update an app I wrote for iOS (Pano Assist) but I have no first-hand experience on thes 360*180, so I have to get this experience before anything else.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 am 

This Papyspheric Python script will genaret a set of shooting co-ordinates optimised for shooting spheriocal panos:

http://www.kolor.com/forum/t8100-papyspheric-a-python-program-to-build-templates-for-panospheres?id=8100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am 

marcalcc wrote:
Hi all,

I was wondering if there is a way to actually calculate how many rows and how many pictures per row are necessary to shot these 360*180 panoramas.

I´ve an Excel file where by adding the sensor size and focal length of the gear, you can calculate how many shots per row you need for "normal panoramas", but 360*180 are different as you need less photos/row as you go up to the zennit/nadir points.

The reason I´m asing is that I want to update an app I wrote for iOS (Pano Assist) but I have no first-hand experience on thes 360*180, so I have to get this experience before anything else.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

my thumbrule is 600 : #mm of lens. So with 10 mm lens I rotate at 60: 10 = 60 degrees. Now that is horizontal rotation with portrait position. Vertically you have 180 to cover but instead of 60 you can use 90 degrees because of 2:3 relation. So then I choose + 45 and -45 position to start with, but because -45 is taking part of tripod legs I will change into +50 degrees and -10 degrees and do a number of nadir shots from different direction.

Same thing will work for other mm of lens. for example 24 mm lens 600 : 24 = 25 degrees horizontally and 35 degrees vertically roughly.

but yes, there are calculators for it.