How-to view gigapixel images using free software  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

How-to view gigapixel images using free software

by bigmike.it » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Some months ago I wrote a small utility to convert a kro file in raw : KroUtils (http://www.kolor.com/forum/t11415-utility-for-kro-files-beta-version-available). This tool offers the possibility to slice a large photo into small tiles so it's easy to view them with any image viewer. In case of artifacts it's possible to retouch one tile and then reassemble all pieces in a single raw image.
I wasn't completely satisfied, because it's not comfortable to view/check many small image files. For this reason I started to work to a program which permits to view a gigapixel image easily. The basic idea was to slice the image in small parts, and then show the interested area loading the needed tiles (just a small set of all the tiles).
Luckily I found a free, open sources, “tiles viewer” : PanoJS3 (http://www.dimin.net/software/panojs/). It shows the image in a browser and it's works with many OS. Half of the work was done :) so I just needed to write a program to split the large image in many tiles respecting the PanoJS rules.
At the end I created GigaPX2Pano. This is a free tool which opens 8 bits kro or raw files (maybe in future I will add some other file types) and saves many small jpeg images as needed by PanoJS.
You just need to edit an html file (you must provide filename, width and height) and you are ready to view your giga photo using your favorite browser.

Currently GigaPX2Pano works only under Windows (but the viewer is multi-platform). Depending on the interest I could plan to write the same tool for Mac or Linux.

If you want to read more details or download the program, the link of the web page is: http://www.bigmike.it/gigapx2pano

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

by Destiny » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:16 pm

I really don't get it... ptp does this and does it extremely well and works on any OS... Its also does a lot more than this... Zoomify does this too, and does it really well and also will work on any OS, which is a feature of Photoshop as well as other software app's.. With Photoshop a very large gigapixal images would automatically converts to a psb file, which Zoomify is able slice up and also automatically create folders for for viewing in the gigapixel formate, the Zoomify process is very similar to how ptp works..

Perhaps I have missed the point of your utility...

Destiny
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Info

by bigmike.it » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Destiny wrote:Perhaps I have missed the point of your utility...
Destiny

Probably you missed the words "using free software" ;)

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 am

No.. I didn't miss the word Free.. Kolor have in fact provided lots of Free updates.... ;)

Destiny...

PS.. If you are into Free Utilities.. how about some iPad Utilities.. Partially video in an iPad pano.. :) I am sure some would even pay for that one.. :) :)
Last edited by Destiny on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:57 pm

bigmike.it wrote:
Destiny wrote:Perhaps I have missed the point of your utility...
Destiny

Probably you missed the words "using free software" ;)

I also did read the word "free". But i don´t understand you nevertheless . . :cool:

You write about a VIEWER? The VIEWING is done by Flash or Java in the browser . . . isn´t it?
Or do you mean a TILER? An EDITOR? Something like Zoomify?

I still don´t get your point!

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Info

by bigmike.it » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 pm

Maybe my bad English don't allow to me to explain correctly what I mean. I try with an example.
Suppose I just finished to stitch a 2 gigapixel panorama.I want to upload it to gigapan.org, but I don't want to spend hours to upload the file and then discover that something is wrong in the image. I think it could be useful if I could open the kro or raw file and check it before the upload.
I found the way to view the image file using two free (=no cost) tools. The first one, GigaPX2Pano, is a program which splits the original image in tiles. PanoJS, the second one, is a JavaScript program which show the tiles in the browser.
On my site you could download in a single package both tools, for this reason I didn't write "how-to tile an image". The whole downloaded package permits you to view the raw file, this is why I wrote "How-to view a gigapixel image". And you are doing it using only free software.

In this topic I just explain how did I do it, in case someone could find it useful. If no one finds it interesting... well, that's life.

Mike

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

bigmike.it wrote:Maybe my bad English don't allow to me to explain correctly what I mean. I try with an example.
Suppose I just finished to stitch a 2 gigapixel panorama.I want to upload it to gigapan.org, but I don't want to spend hours to upload the file and then discover that something is wrong in the image. I think it could be useful if I could open the kro or raw file and check it before the upload.

Honestly: you can see it in the equirectangular image very well if there´s something wrong - before the upload - using Photoshop . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Info

by bigmike.it » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:39 pm

klausesser wrote:Honestly: you can see it in the equirectangular image very well if there´s something wrong - before the upload - using Photoshop . . :cool:

best, Klaus

I know... but I don't own a copy of Photoshop (and it's not free). I tried with Gimp but I encoutered some problems and it's sloooow with big images.

Mike
Last edited by bigmike.it on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Caveat: krpano is an excellent panoramic viewer that is sold at a reasonable price and is supported by Kolor's Pantour software products. I would advise people to use this viewer unless they do not have a budget or have a high desire to use freely available software. I have provided links to two other options below.

1. You can also use the freely available "open zoom" viewer that is written in actionscript, but do not expect any support.
http://www.openzoom.org/
http://www.openzoom.org/sdk/api/0.4.2/

2. You can use the deep zoom tiling tools to create an image pyramid for the open zoom viewer. The tools have been implemented in multiple languages. This is a link to the official python implementation.
https://github.com/openzoom/deepzoom.py

3. You can also use the freely available Microsoft Seadragon viewer with the deepzoom tiling tools. It is implemented in javascript.
http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/SeadragonAjax

no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Info

by bigmike.it » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Castillonis wrote:Caveat: krpano is an excellent panoramic viewer that is sold at a reasonable price and is supported by Kolor's Pantour software products. I would advise people to use this viewer unless they do not have a budget or have a high desire to use freely available software. I have provided links to two other options below.

Thank you for your contribute.

Mike

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:24 am

Mike.. What are your java script skills like....;)

Destiny...

no avatar
bigmike.it

Topic author
Info

by bigmike.it » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 pm

Destiny wrote:Mike.. What are your java script skills like....;)

This JavaScript program is not my work. I can read this language and write small changes if needed, but I never tried to write a complete program using this language.

Mike

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:15 pm

oh.. I needed a java guru.. ;(..

Destiny...

no avatar
Phil Howard

Info

by Phil Howard » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:41 am

Linux user here. No Photoshop because it requires Windows emulation. Windows emulation actually lets a number of Windows virii run. So I just view my panos in Firefox, which can pan around on its own. I don't use Flash for security reasons (my home computer is also used for some security development, so I have to leave it free of all insecure software like Flash). GIMP works. Autopano Pro works (but I think I need to get a 64-bit version next).