Flash + iPad  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 227 posts
Info

Flash + iPad

by Destiny » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:05 am

Hi.. This is just a heads up... Apparently after chatting to Adobe, the word is they are going to change Flash to work on an iPad... I do not think its far away from happening... To be honest, one reason why I haven't bought an iPad is the lack of the Flash option. I was going to buy a different Pad that could use Flash but now I will wait.. One reason why Flash is not on the iPad has something to do with the fact that Flash takes up a lot of power.. Not sure how the new version will fix that.. Perhaps it will be a lite version of Flash.. I guess someone had to give way, Apple didn't seem to want to know so good on Adobe for doing this if what I have been told is going to happen...

Destiny...
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
hector-s

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by hector-s » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:06 am

It has been a long battle with the flash implementation on apple mobil devices and ultimately, they have to succumb to offering support for it just because the market will dictate them to do so.

They might have held them off for sometime now but still, they have to offer it sometime in the future because it just is needed for a lot of web pages.

no avatar
darkmann

Info

by darkmann » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Actually, Adobe seem to have done the opposite. They are stopping all development of Flash for mobile devices (android, etc) and are going to concentrate on HTML5 development. Flash on mobile will not disappear, but it will not get any better or be made to work on future devices now.

Time for us all to stop using Flash and go with HTML5 canvas-based rendering as that seems to be the way to go for the future of the web on both mobile and more traditional platforms.

David

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 pm

David,

All my panoramas are already working on iPad. both online as offline, straight out of panotour. I don't do any further programming. Is there still anything I need to prepare myself for still?

regards,

Hans
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
darkmann

Info

by darkmann » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Hans,

I actually really only use flash for the more traditional web animation stuff, although I do use Zoomify from time to time to display simple flat panos.

In general, users at the working end of the chain shouldn't need to do anything. Flash was always a means to an end - displaying rich content on-line with a programmable back-end - and HTML 5 just takes this over in a way that should be much more universal.

If you have a system that already does what you want on the platforms you need, then you should have to change nothing. Indeed, anyone who wants to maintain compatibility with iPad and iPod will, like you, already have chosen a tool that gives the desired result.

As for ADOBE, they will surely come out with a toolbox that does the same thing as Flash, just targeting a different solution for the browser side of things. For me it means I really need to get better at this Javascript stuff!!

All the Best,

David

olihar

Info

by olihar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:48 pm

The only problem is multiresolution tiles... is there solution in HTML5 for that yet?

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 am

1. Zoomify recently released an HTML5 viewer that will allow you to display gigapixel panoramas on an Ipad with planar navigation. The $39 USD special for the developer edition may still be available. Javascript source code is provided that you can modify to satisfy your needs. Ensure that you minify the javacript viewer code before posting it on your web site.

a. Try some of the multi resolution examples on this page.
http://www.zoomify.com/html5.htm

b. The first multi resolution image on my web site "San Francisco at twilight from the water" has krpano viewer and zoomify HTML5 viewer versions that you can compare.

2. Microsoft's Seadragon javascript viewer has been available for a while. ( not the later silverlight version ) It supports multi resolution panoramas as well, but you would need to write callback / event handler functions for Ipad events.

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/gg413362
Last edited by Castillonis on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi Castillonis!

That´s what i get on iPhone4:

best, Klaus

Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi Claus,

Do you mean http://www.zoomify.com/html5.htm is not even iPad compatible itself? Can't test myself as iPad is with/owned by my marketinglady? 1st thing to do in new year is to get me one myself...

I am very happy with what I achieved with goodreader on iPad. Can now demo GB's of panoramas to potential customers without words. I just hand them the iPad and they immediately see how it would fit into their own sales process
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 am

1. Klaus, you clicked the wrong link. Look directly below the image.

a. With further javascript programming I could detect which platform is making the get request and serve the krpano version, or the zoomify version. For now there is a second link which says "Ipad version of panorama" which is below the image. You clicked on the jpeg image link which will request the krpano version. Click on the "Ipad version of panorama" link in order to see the zoomify HTML5 version.

b. The zoomify developer viewer needs further development to make it a compelling viewer. At this time it is a viewer that will offer you a solution that works with multiresolution images on the Ipad. I have tested this on the first generation Ipad which only has 256 MB of system memory. The Ipad 2 has 512 MB of system memory and many android based tablets have 1 GB of system memory.

2. Direct links to Zoomify HTML5 examples ( will work with Ipad or other javascript enabled browsers )

http://www.zoomify.com/assets/dynamic-HTML5/13-ViewResizable.htm

http://www.zoomify.com/assets/dynamic-HTML5/3-ToolbarSkinned.htm

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Castillonis wrote:1. Klaus, you clicked the wrong link. Look directly below the image.

Oops - sorry :cool: thx!

best to you, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Castillonis wrote:1. Zoomify recently released an HTML5 viewer that will allow you to display gigapixel panoramas on an Ipad with planar navigation. The $39 USD special for the developer edition may still be available. Javascript source code is provided that you can modify to satisfy your needs. Ensure that you minify the javacript viewer code before posting it on your web site.

a. Try some of the multi resolution examples on this page.
http://www.zoomify.com/html5.htm

b. The first multi resolution image on my web site "San Francisco at twilight from the water" has krpano viewer and zoomify HTML5 viewer versions that you can compare.

2. Microsoft's Seadragon javascript viewer has been available for a while. ( not the later silverlight version ) It supports multi resolution panoramas as well, but you would need to write callback / event handler functions for Ipad events.

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/gg413362

Tested android with the android SDK and it works
Would be rather great if zoomify would develop a few templates for panotour.....
Regards, Hans Keesom

Castillonis

Info

by Castillonis » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:12 pm

HansKeesom, remember that panotour is a Kolor authoring tool for the third party krpano viewer. Zoomify flash viewer and Zoomify HTML5 viewer are not related to panotour. Also, Zoomify provides a miminal user interface.

So, if you want some templates for your web site or a clients web site, you can hire someone with Adobe illustrator skills to design themed graphics that are vectors. You want vector designs so that you can resize them for use in the viewer, web site, marketing literature. If you cannot find good Adobe illustrator designers with portfolio you like, you can look at elance.com You can also ask them to create some specific sized copies of the vectors or photoshop bit maps for your specific needs to save production time.
Last edited by Castillonis on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Castillonis wrote:HansKeesom, remember that panotour is a Kolor authoring tool for the third party krpano viewer. Zoomify flash viewer and Zoomify HTML5 viewer are not related to panotour. Also, Zoomify provides a miminal user interface.

So, if you want some templates for your web site or a clients web site, you can hire someone with Adobe illustrator skills to design themed graphics that are vectors. You want vector designs so that you can resize them for use in the viewer, web site, marketing literature. If you cannot find good Adobe illustrator designers with portfolio you like, you can look at elance.com You can also ask them to create some specific sized copies of the vectors or photoshop bit maps for your specific needs to save production time.

Hi Castillons,

thanks for the information. i know krpano and zoomify are seperate companies. But if zoomify would build a few templates for using their product together with panotour that would be very pleasant and I would pay for it. It's not so long that I want to wait for krpano to create a viewer that works on all platforms without creating a version of a tour for each platform.

so i hope krpano and zoomify can work together. I can not invest in hiring programmers, no budget for that.
Regards, Hans Keesom