hyper focal distance - how to set lens distance?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
gkaefer

Topic author
Liked in: 15 posts
Info

hyper focal distance - how to set lens distance?

by gkaefer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:00 am

in my example using a 8mm fisheye on a 1.6 crop camera I got following values for a hyperfocus distance:

f8, 1.6x crop, 8mm focal = 0.4m hyperfocal distance.
so far ok.
on my fisheye lens set to f8 I can now also set the distance between 0.3m and 3m and to infinite.

what is the correct distance value to set the lens:

1. infinite
2. the nearest object (for my 360x180 pano)... NPP is in 137cm height located
3. the 0.4m value of the hyperfocal distance calculation

many thanks in advance,
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

no avatar
al Santos

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by al Santos » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:03 pm

take a look at: www.dof master.com
Depth Of Field and hyperfocal distance calculators for Windows® operating systems and Palm OS® devices

gkaefer

Topic author
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:23 pm

al Santos wrote:take a look at: www.dof master.com
Depth Of Field and hyperfocal distance calculators for Windows® operating systems and Palm OS® devices

thanks for this information. diamonds worth....
www.dofmaster.com

and to my question from above: answer 3: 0.4m...

Georg

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:55 am

gkaefer wrote:

www.dofmaster.com

Georg

Hey Georg!

Btw.: you can use your PromoteControl to calculate hyperfocals! There´s an item in the display! :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

luck72

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by luck72 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:35 am

Hi everybody,

check this link http://winmodof.free.fr/en/
is for windows mobile touch phone but it's working greath.
Ciao

Luca
Nikon D810, Nikkor 16mm fisheye,20mm, 50mm, 85mm, Amarula Bushman Tripod, Gobi panoramic Head, Windows 10/64bit, Adobe Photoshop CC 2018, Lightroom Classic CC 2018, APG 4.4.1, PTP 2.5.11

gkaefer

Topic author
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:11 am

klausesser wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

www.dofmaster.com

Georg

Hey Georg!

Btw.: you can use your PromoteControl to calculate hyperfocals! There´s an item in the display! :cool:

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,
actually I did it. and because of wrong usage of the hyperfocal distance at my lens the pano war horrible unsharp ;-))
nowhere in the promote manual is written that I've to set the lens at that distance value the Promote device calculates as hyperfocal distance.
and it would also be nice to have the info in the promote manual that in fact the sharp range is from half of the hyperfocal distance value to infinite is...

PS: ok because of my above error the images&result was unsharp pano (so no screenshot ;-), but I did play with the promotes combination of programms: the HDR-timelapse! (but the timelapse feature was reused for DEnoise purpose)
I did combine the promote with the TC handcontroller and the merlin for a 360pano.
the timelape value was set to 0 seconds and to 5 sets. the hdr part was set to 3 brackets
the TC was set to 360 spheric for my 8mm fisheye...
so 7 image-positions for the sphere(6@0+1zenith, nadir empty). On each position 5 sets of 3 bracket images.
with photomatix the stacks fused
the 5 fused images per pano-image-position with Oloneo software stacked to DEnoise the images
the seven images recalculated to 500%
the final 7 images stiched with autopano to 1.01 gigapixel fisheye pano. ;-)
funny result up to the 500%pumping works all perfectly. the zoom is not worth the work...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
ComEd

Info

by ComEd » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Set the lens to its closest focus distance and place a ruler or tape measure horizontally at that distance from the camera, focusing on the ruler by moving the camera (or the ruler) but not disturbing the setting of the lens's focusing ring. By viewing the ruler through the viewfinder, determine how many milimeters of the ruler are visible left-to-right across the viewfinder, and use that value to overwrite the red numbers in the cel under the column marked "X". For a more accurate measurement, take a photo of the ruler and read off the length from the neg/transparency, or from the digital image; this will remove the error caused by the fact that many SLR viewfinders do not actually show the whole of the area of image.

:)
John Galt
ComEd, Sales Consultant
Rockford, Illinois
Last edited by ComEd on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaefer

Topic author
Info

by gkaefer » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:10 am

ComEd wrote:Set the lens to its closest focus distance and place a ruler or tape measure horizontally at that distance from the camera, focusing on the ruler by moving the camera (or the ruler) but not disturbing the setting of the lens's focusing ring. By viewing the ruler through the viewfinder, determine how many milimeters of the ruler are visible left-to-right across the viewfinder, and use that value to overwrite the red numbers in the cel under the column marked "X". For a more accurate measurement, take a photo of the ruler and read off the length from the neg/transparency, or from the digital image; this will remove the error caused by the fact that many SLR viewfinders do not actually show the whole of the area of image.

:)
John Galt
ComEd, Sales Consultant
Rockford, Illinois

lol, maybe its the time I read your lines... watching 3 hours of TV show Nightglight (Dance/Techno/House at 100db on ServusTV (Astra DirectSatellite for Area Europe, free HD from Salzburgs redbull comp.) while playing Poker on 888...
... I do not really understand your lines: which red numbers under which column X etc.

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Calculated hyperfocal distance is based on a certain print size. So it may not be best.

I would calculate the hyperforcal distance based on the most important thing, the nearest thing, and a DOF caclulator. Sometimes I'll set focus on the most important thing if the nearest thing is still in focus. Sometimes I'll set the focal distance so that the nearest thing is at the near end of the focal range so that distant objects are a bit sharper. .