Help - Giga Panorama Viewing and Processing  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Help - Giga Panorama Viewing and Processing

by hermer-blr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:34 pm

A/ During my vacations, I shot a large quantity of "Giga Panoramas" (50 to 250 MPixels each) that I would like now to be able to display on my website. Hence, I am looking for a cheap and easy to use software. A quick market survey led to the following possibilities:

- Panotour PRO - Too expensive for me
- KR Pano - Affordable
- Pano2VR - Affordable
- HD View - Free and easy to use (I already tested it)
- Panosalado2 - Free but no use example available - (Potentially a nightmare, albeit I successfully used Panosalado for my spherical panoramas)

Any advice ? Any recommendation ?

B/ I am also looking for a software that would be able to cut in smaller images and then to reassembly the Giga panoramas - My purpose is to be able to perform post-processing using my standard image processing software (Nikon Capture NX2); this is presently not possible with big images.

Thanks for your help
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

perhaps one more option: dont buy software at all, buy service...
look at Hans posting at his footer:
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87603-yesterday-23-43-46#p87603
(to Hans: 1.5% commission for me ;-))

Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:01 pm

hermer-blr wrote:A quick market survey led to the following possibilities:

- Panotour PRO - Too expensive for me
- KR Pano - Affordable
- Pano2VR - Affordable
- HD View - Free and easy to use (I already tested it)
- Panosalado2 - Free but no use example available - (Potentially a nightmare, albeit I successfully used Panosalado for my spherical panoramas)

Any advice ? Any recommendation ?

Of those options that you designate as affordable I would choose krpano for gigapixel partial panos. Its multi-res capabilities are I think unrivalled. And as and when you can afford Panotour Pro you can utilise your krpano license.

If you don't want to host the panos yourself then consider gigapan.org.
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Panotour std ? 99 euros. You can export also panorama up to 200 Megapixels. That should be enough.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 pm

gkaefer wrote:perhaps one more option: dont buy software at all, buy service...
look at Hans posting at his footer:
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87603-yesterday-23-43-46#p87603
(to Hans: 1.5% commission for me ;-))

Georg

Hi Georg,
My footer is about processing individual photos to panoramas..and then to a tour.
The question of the OP is about making a tour out of them. That is much simpler, I am problably able to do so using Panotour Pro for a much lower price.
I am able to host them on my own website or upload to customers website.
Not sure though whether the license that I have allows this.

Regarding the commission, isn t it enough that I regard you highly? ;-)
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:55 pm

To Alexandre:
- 200 MPi is not enough

To Mediavets:
- What is the relationship between krpano license and Panotour Pro ? Is there a rebate on Panotour Pro for people already owning krpano ?

To HansKeesom:
- I prefer to spend money for software and to learn to use this software than to spend money for a service
- I consider that the forum is not the appropriate place for proposing commercial service; what you are proposing in your footer is cheap, and it is probably there much more to help than to earn money. But I suggest that you remove your footer before others do the same and corrupt the spirit of this NON COMMERCIAL forum.

To any reader of this post:
What about question B/ ?
Other suggestions regarding question A/ ?
Windows 32 bits - APG

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:04 pm

hermer-blr wrote:To Mediavets:
- What is the relationship between krpano license and Panotour Pro ? Is there a rebate on Panotour Pro for people already owning krpano ?

Who already owns it.
See this post which explains everything : http://www.kolor.com/blog-en/2011/06/22/krpano-users-can-now-get-100-euros-off-panotour-pro-virtual-tour-software/

no avatar
gddxb

Info

by gddxb » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:09 pm

hermer-blr wrote:Other suggestions regarding question A/ ?

You already have APG, yes?

Is it not the case that you can get a licence key for APT Pro simply by purchasing the licences for KRPano and the iOS add-on?
Last edited by gddxb on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:54 pm

gddxb wrote:
hermer-blr wrote:Other suggestions regarding question A/ ?

You already have APG, yes?

Is it not the case that you can get a licence key for APT Pro simply by purchasing the licences for KRPano and the iOS add-on?

No.

See this page about updates - which includes information about special updates for holders of APG licences purchased before February 2, 2011:
http://www.kolor.com/updates.html

And this page (already cited above by Alexandre) for infomation regarding discounts on Panotour Pro for those who already hold krpano Flash viewer and krpano javascript (iPhone) viewer licenses.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 pm

hermer-blr wrote:B/ I am also looking for a software that would be able to cut in smaller images and then to reassembly the Giga panoramas - My purpose is to be able to perform post-processing using my standard image processing software (Nikon Capture NX2); this is presently not possible with big images.

Thanks for your help

Not sure this will work 'alongside' NX2 but see: http://www.kolor.com/forum/t11415-utility-for-kro-files-beta-version-available
Last edited by mediavets on Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

hermer-blr wrote:To HansKeesom:
- I prefer to spend money for software and to learn to use this software ...

...but not very much it seems? :rolleyes:
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm

hermer-blr wrote:To HansKeesom:
- I consider that the forum is not the appropriate place for proposing commercial service; what you are proposing in your footer is cheap, and it is probably there much more to help than to earn money. But I suggest that you remove your footer before others do the same and corrupt the spirit of this NON COMMERCIAL forum.

Well, thank you for your forthright opinion but I feel it's for the administrators of the forum to determine what is and what is not acceptable.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:00 pm

To Mediavets & AlexandreJ:

- Thanks for your different replies that I will quickly look through

To Mediavets (reg. his latest post):

- You are right: this is the responsibility of the Administrators to determine what is and what is not acceptable.
- But, as an intensive user of this forum, that I appreciate for its friendliness (in general) and usefulness (most often), I consider that I am in my role when I stress the risk of a possible corruption of the prevailing spirit.
Windows 32 bits - APG

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 am

Dear Hermer,

C'est le ton qui fait la musique

Like many others here, I learned a lot here, and still do, I try to give back by answering the questions I am able to answer. From that I learn cause I have to think about it.
Some questions are about sets of photos that are hard to stitch. As it is often hard to answer what is going wrong without seeing the photos, I offer to have a look at them.
To make people aware this kind of help is possible I have placed it in my footer. To prevent people from misusing it I added the line " If you're not happy with the result, you keep your money. Else 1 euro per photo." So far that is working.

I did NOT make you a proposal. George proposed you to use my services with a clear smiley to indicate the pun, I responded likewise. If you missed the smileys and the puns, then that is too bad.
The tone of your responses I reject. I hope you have something better to do then fighting the "possible corruption of the prevailing spirit"
Last edited by HansKeesom on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:30 pm

To Hanskeesom:

Sorry for my misunderstanding of your footer and of the humor in the posts. From your answer, I understand that we both share the same view about this forum and the spirit that should prevail in it. I have been "overreacting"; sorry again.

And, yes, I have better to do than fighting against the corruption of the prevailing spirit. I am still in the same situation as I was Yesterday: learning to deal with big panos (hundreds of MPixels):
- In term of APG processing (some hints were given in an other post that I will test over the week-end)
- In term of Post-processing (tiling/merging software matched to 16 bit Tif - not found sofar) and Web display (different options possible...)

Best regards

J.M.
Windows 32 bits - APG

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

- What is the relationship between krpano license and Panotour Pro

The krpano Flash and iDevice-compatible javascript/HTML Panorama Viewers are controlled by XML format command files.

These command files can be hand-coded with any text editor, but that's not something that comes 'naturally' to many (most?) pano photographers.

Panotour/Panotour Pro are GUI XML command file generators for the krpano Flash Viewer (and the krpano iDevice-compatible javascript/HTML Panorama Viewer too in the case of Panotour Pro).

Panotour includes an embedded licence for the krpano Flash Panorama Viewer.

Panotour Pro includes exportable licences for the krpano Flash Panorama Viewer, and krpanotools, and a licence for the krpano iDevice-compatible javascript/HTML Panorama Viewer too.
Last edited by mediavets on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:30 pm

J.M.

Thats ok ....
Sorry for fooling around when you are in the middel of serious problems. We all figth our battles around panorama photography and try to deal with problems in a cost-effective way.

I can only answer your questions from how I understand them and what I would do.
How I understand : you have a laarge number of gigapanoramas and want to put them online.
What I would do :I would download trial version of panotour pro and see what it can do for you. When you are happy with the result, the prices will be less an issue.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:20 pm

mediavets wrote:
- What is the relationship between krpano license and Panotour Pro

The krpano Flash and iDevice-compatible javascript/HTML Panorama Viewers are controlled by XML format command files.

Nonsense. Anyone can learn to program. And the entire APG/APT can be replicated. All it takes is four years at a university to learn computer science, then a masters or Sc.D if you will also do the digital signal processing (like implementing SIFT.) Then you are ready to start. It shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 years for this, but you'll need a huge user base to test with.

So you can do it yourself and save 300 euros.

:->