Anyone know how to embed a panotour into an email?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
marianne

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Anyone know how to embed a panotour into an email?

by marianne » Sun May 29, 2011 7:42 am

Hi friends,

I wish I was a bit more of internet code master.

Does anyone out there know how to display a virtual tour inside an email?

If you do, could you please send me an email with an example? :)

Marianne

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun May 29, 2011 3:04 pm

marianne wrote:Hi friends,

I wish I was a bit more of internet code master.

Does anyone out there know how to display a virtual tour inside an email?

If you do, could you please send me an email with an example? :)

Marianne

Put the pano onto a server and post a link to it in the email. Or: zip the pano-folder (with ALL content) and attach it to the mail.

(i sent you a mail via the Forum - don´t have your mail adress for direct sending a mail)

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

marianne

Topic author
Info

by marianne » Mon May 30, 2011 1:23 am

Hi Klaus,
klausesser wrote:Put the pano onto a server and post a link to it in the email. Or: zip the pano-folder (with ALL content) and attach it to the mail.

I know how to post a link and create a zip. What I want to do is to send out a marketing email or newsletter. When the viewer opens the email i want them to be able to see the tour playing 'within' the email. Wouldn't that be cool?

no avatar
Apapane

Info

by Apapane » Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 am

marianne wrote:Hi Klaus,
klausesser wrote:Put the pano onto a server and post a link to it in the email. Or: zip the pano-folder (with ALL content) and attach it to the mail.

I know how to post a link and create a zip. What I want to do is to send out a marketing email or newsletter. When the viewer opens the email i want them to be able to see the tour playing 'within' the email. Wouldn't that be cool?

No, that does not sound cool - it sounds like SPAM
I would rue the day that type of invasion would come.

marianne

Topic author
Info

by marianne » Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 am

Apapane wrote:No, that does not sound cool - it sounds like SPAM

Spam is mass emailing without consent. That behaviour is not what this post is about.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

by Destiny » Mon May 30, 2011 11:41 am

hi honey....

I can tell you how to Display a full working pano in an email with all the links and everything workings same as a web page including your pano... BUT... there are issues.... heaps of them in fact...

The only app at the moment I am aware of that can view all features created by ptp is the Mail app in a Mac.... Everything will show without having to do a thing.. it will display and work great just like the web page.. Its great.. Its a pity that not all the email apps work the same.... you can go thought the entire tour while still in Mail....

Next option, still in a Mac is, Entourage, which is made by good old Microsoft "NOT GOOD!".. After you have clicked once on the graphic you will see that all java based elements will work fine... but NOT swf since it is not supported by Microsoft.. All the mouse overs as long as they are java based will work fine. There was a time I managed to get round this by using the ActiveX but they changed things so now I cannot find a way round it... These days you have give permission for the ActiveX to open on a pc, but a Mac doesn't display this message. So, all your mouse overs and links will work but any swf parts will not even show.. you might get a message saying you need to update your swf player and you will see a swf icon... Don't bother downloading it, since it will never work...

Now, on a pc.... oh dear.. say no more.. its Windows so no good at all.... you will see the base graphic of your pano but not the pano or any of the mouse overs.....but in some cases you can get mouse overs to work depending on the Windows version....

So, the bottom line answer to your question would be NOP!!.. The best option is to create a purpose mini email graphic with a nice pano image only ... you can have button look-a-likes and in Dreamweaver etc you can put hotspots over them with the url.. This is probably the best option since it will work in any email platform even hotmail and google... You can also put urls with a name like 'Home Page' but the actual url is the full address.... This saves it being cluttered up with long urls...

If anyone on this Forum has Mail on their Mac and would like to receive a fully functional ptp pano I will send you one to show you its work just as a demo.. I can even send you your own web site in the email fully functional.. You will be able to Forward it to anyone you know with Mail but thats about it....

You will have to be selective in sending this web email to... I am going to ask people to be on my newsletter mailing list... That way they have given permission for me to send it to them...

Hope all this helps..

Destiny....
Last edited by Destiny on Mon May 30, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

marianne

Topic author
Info

by marianne » Mon May 30, 2011 11:45 am

Hey Destiny honey,
Thank you for you thorough reply. I really appreciate it!! Newsletter are a great idea.

Marianne

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon May 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Thats ok..

also.. if you want to make something animate on your web email... you can include an animated gif pano just for show.. It could slide back and forth and when click on it your web newsletter or your web site can open... You can make that in Fireworks.... it has to be the right kind of gif to animate....

When I have finished my new web site I will have newsletters too...
Can I put you down on my Mailing List.... hehe

D...
Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

no avatar
Apapane

Info

by Apapane » Mon May 30, 2011 9:19 pm

marianne wrote:

Spam is mass emailing without consent. That behaviour is not what this post is about.

"Marketing email" is a hot button term to me - 99% of the "marketing" emails I receive, even with strong SPAM filters, are SPAM. An "Opt-in" choice - may be OK - i.e. - notices of product upgrades or newsletters; any "Opt-Out" system (you are receiving this email, special offer, etc, because you have visited XYZ's web site - if you no longer wish to receive these notices, go to such and such a link to be removed from our list) ... - SPAM.

Anyway, this subject really has nothing to do with Auto Pano directly, but with web page construction. That being said, I agree with Destiny about hot spots, with links, over static images, or even animated .gif files that can link to another site, but not embedded pano tours (read advertisements) in an email message.

Richard, in my grumpy mode.

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Mon May 30, 2011 10:30 pm

This has a lot of variables with different viewers ect one way would be to have an HTML email but not all email browsers and clients are able to view HTML in an email ect without first being setup. So the best way forward would probably be to have a link to a the VT hosting site.

Heh it appears obvious that Apapane does not like spam or SPAM of any kind.. neither do I, as the OP Marianne stated she simply wanted to be able to send an email with an embedded pano, where is the harm in that, or even sending an email with some text!

Best
Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Apapane wrote:
marianne wrote:

"Marketing email" is a hot button term to me - 99% of the "marketing" emails I receive, even with strong SPAM filters, are SPAM. An "Opt-in" choice - may be OK - i.e. - notices of product upgrades or newsletters; any "Opt-Out" system (you are receiving this email, special offer, etc, because you have visited XYZ's web site - if you no longer wish to receive these notices, go to such and such a link to be removed from our list) ... - SPAM.

Anyway, this subject really has nothing to do with Auto Pano directly, but with web page construction. That being said, I agree with Destiny about hot spots, with links, over static images, or even animated .gif files that can link to another site, but not embedded pano tours (read advertisements) in an email message.

Richard, in my grumpy mode.

even if you can embed the tour inside an email, than size is a remarkable issue. sending 100 emails with 1mb and most ISPs will block your ambitions...an my panotours are rather 10mb in size and bigger (per pano)...

about opt in / opt out option in newsletter: In Austria an opt-out option is mandatory. and its absolutley not allowed to send someone an email where you (the sender) does not have an existing business relation to. So just sending a newsletter with a valid opt-out option is - if you recipient did not allow this with a written permission - seen as offending spam.

so placing the pano on your server and linking the tour from your newsletter which you're sending to people who gave you permission for that before sending the newsletter I think is the only valid way...

Georg

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue May 31, 2011 10:49 am

I guess a final few words from Destiny on this interesting issue.... To be honest, to be able to view a ptp generated pano in an email would be a great medium to view a pano... sometimes it's hard to get someone to go to your web site so to see a quick example in an email has heaps of merit... But like it was mentioned above... to send out an unsolicited email at random is illegal in Aus, so it has to be sent in relation to a "Yes, I would like to receive your Newsletter", that way they have agreed to receiving it...

Also mentioned above, which I failed to add.... is the issue of rich text or html... Many block html due to Spam.. I receive web emails all the time and rather like them since they keep me apprised on what's current, or special offers, but I have requested these be sent to me.... I can alway say no at any time...

Even though sending out an unsolicited email is illegal in Aus.. I do not see any harm in sending out a small business card size graphic with some intro text, even a card with a small animated pano gif will be cool... Its also been stated that huge file sizes are being sent, this is not true.. its only the source code that is sent and received.. The person receiving the email has the option to close or stop the viewing at anytime...

To be honest, now that I have seen a ptp generated pano working in all its glory in an email, I think its really cool.... So I think Marianne asked a very valid point since we are all trying to make a business in creating VR Tours, it just happens that we are mostly using the same software as our tool box.... Any suggestions on how to showcase our services should be seen as a good thing...

Destiny
Last edited by Destiny on Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

marianne

Topic author
Info

by marianne » Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks Destiny Darling,
You know I don't send spam. I do call before sending an email through to a company. I need to ensure that the email goes to the right person. I have such a lovely phone manner that I always get the okay to send my marketing spiel. It would be cool to be able to send a pano in an email. But because I can't I just have to be cleverer and gooder with my words.

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue May 31, 2011 12:45 pm

marianne wrote:It would be cool to be able to send a pano in an email.

Just besides all legal stuff:
Given the fact that you need a player/browser to display a pano anyway: why not linking in a mail to the pano on your site? You can preset the size and the behavior - in a word: you have full control of how your creation is presented. Leave that to very different capabilities of email applications . . . . I guess that´s not what i woud call it professional looking - you need consistency . . .

A well made and interesting single pano usually isn´t small in data-size. A single node of our panos usually is about 30MB - do you think it might be wise to attach it to a mail for being displayed in the mail-window?? :cool:

Another point is: you would give away the whole thing - everybody who receives the mail could take it and use it for his/her very own interests.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue May 31, 2011 1:16 pm

Like I said to you before Marianne.. if done right you are NOT sending a huge file size.. you are only sending the source code worth about 5kb.. thats the entire size of the email.. and there is NO attachment.. you simply send an embedded email comprising of just source code which is viewable as if viewing it in your web site... There is no difference.. you are just bypassing the link to your web site...which automatically opens in an email or you can create a graphic just for web email using just a graphic with hotspots and a couple of urls... The only downloading taking place is as the pano is viewed/loading.. which is NO different to opening the web site pano... Anyone with Mail in a Mac who would like to view their web site in an email to see that its only about 5kb is welcome to ask for it to be sent.... Call it your approved web email.. :)... unfortunately, the Mail app is the only one that does not need the ActiveX and will play swf in it as well as html and html5... So, nothing to steal...besides that there is software out there that can download your entire web content but not much point without the fla files..etc...

Your right Marianne.. just use much gooder and betterer wording and like me, put a request newsletter on your contact page... I can't wait to put my new web site live to showcase my VRs etc....

I am sure someone will have their 2 cents worth or less but this is my $2,000 worth or more, just for you honey bunny...

D..