Interactive Map - Does it work on iDevices??  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Interactive Map - Does it work on iDevices??

by Destiny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 am

Hi.... I have managed to get most things working on a pano saved for iDevices but I am not sure if the Interactive Map works or not.. I did a search on the forum but I couldn't find anything on this... I have put a map on the link below, can anyone tell me if they do work, or am I waisting my time....??? I only wish I had an iPad iDevice since trying to press a button on an iPod it really hard even with my small fingers..

http://members.westnet.com.au/dps/interactive/3/TESTHOT.html

The 'Add Rectangle' also does not work.. which is a pity.. I have tried but I was also wondering if anyone has managed to get it working to iDevice compatible...

D :/

PS.. Perhaps the reason why it doesn't work is the fact that the hotspots on the an iPod map would be too small to use but on the other hand, the iPad is much bigger so it should be ok... I guess the thumbs is a better option anyway.. at least they work on an iDevice so no real problem.. But if the map do not work, then is there a way to deactivate it when being viewed on an iDevice... :/
Last edited by Destiny on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:54 am

D.

Not sure why you posted this question here and not on the Panotour topic(s)...

Anyway I think the answer is that the Map feature does work on iDevices.

You can emulate the behaviour of an iDevice to some extent - obviously not the multi-touch interaction - by using the Safari browser on a regular PC/Mac and choosing the appropriate user agent setting - see screenshot of Safari on Windows XP/32 with user agent set for iPad.

The 'mobile compatible' virtual tours created with Panotour Pro use a (java)script to read the browser user agant and if it is that of an iDevice device it loads the iDevice compatible version of the tour.

Sadly the current inability to set the 'closed' size of the Map via the PTP GUI makes the entire feature almost useless on any platform.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
stewed

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by stewed » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 am

I tried the tour on my iPad and iPhone 4 (both using Safari), and everything works fine, including the map, on the iPad. On the Iphone, though, I can't manage to get the map to expand.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:07 am

Really, thats good.. but you say the map works, but then say it will not expand.. Do you mean when you spread your fingers on the screen it will not expand but it pops up when you click on it....

Thank you for the feedback... I only have an ipod to check iDevices out... feedback like yours makes me feel I am getting somewhere... I really wish I had an iPad...

D:D

stewed wrote:I tried the tour on my iPad and iPhone 4 (both using Safari), and everything works fine, including the map, on the iPad. On the Iphone, though, I can't manage to get the map to expand.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:10 am

Sorry.. I thought I put it in the right area.. 'Open discussion... All things panoramic'.. silly me...

D

mediavets wrote:D.

Not sure why you posted this question here and not on the Panotour topic(s)...
Last edited by Destiny on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
stewed

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by stewed » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 am

No, I meant that it won't pop up when I click on it (on the iPhone 4). I can only see the small map icon, but nothing happens when I click on it to make it pop up. Tried it both portrait and landscape mode, and with full screen mode on and off.

Destiny wrote:Really, thats good.. but you say the map works, but then say it will not expand.. Do you mean when you spread your fingers on the screen it will not expand but it pops up when you click on it....

Thank you for the feedback... I only have an ipod to check iDevices out... feedback like yours makes me feel I am getting somewhere... I really wish I had an iPad...

D:D

stewed wrote:I tried the tour on my iPad and iPhone 4 (both using Safari), and everything works fine, including the map, on the iPad. On the Iphone, though, I can't manage to get the map to expand.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

Thank you Stewed.... I guess thats raises my point... I think if I was to make a tour for iDevices I will leave off the map... I know the thumbs work so that will have to be enough... Too small anyway even it it did open... the hotspots will be too small to activate on a iPod or iPhone... but it would look really cool on an iPad...

D
Last edited by Destiny on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Destiny wrote:I think if I was to make a tour for iDevices I will leave off the map...

leave the map away - maps are ugly and definitely too small for iDevices anyway . . :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:04 pm

I think you are right Klaus... The thumb menu is much nicer and the transitions to one area to another are really nice too.....

D...