Exposure settings for night panoramas.  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
wjh31

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Exposure settings for night panoramas.

by wjh31 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am

With particular consideration to high res partial panos at night i wonder what exposure settings people tend to use? During day there is plenty of light so we can stop down the lens a bit, use a nice low iso and shutter speeds can be whatever produces a good exposure, which for sitting on a tripod can be fairly 'slow'. However at night we have the light problem, so doing that would take the shutter speed from something 'slow' to really slow, e.g the full 30s that most cameras seem to reach before going into bulb. So do you allow this to happen and take a good book/lots of patience, or do you tend to adjust the ISO/aperture to speed things up a bit?

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 pm

If I look at my hardware I def. would not much raise ISO. Using a Canon EOS 400D setting the iso to 800 or higher and you have the feeling of building sandcastles...
so here I would use other gimmicks to pimp the images. promote control on harware side to realize >+3 bracketed images or software solution DSLR Remote Pro can do this.
CombineZP and other software can combine your bracketed images to get the images stacked (and even with combineZP you can take 5 or more shots totally equal taken with your cam and than stack the 5 images to get sharper results...)
with other camera body the situation is another one... the canon 7D I assume can make sharper and "better" images with higher ISO thant the 400D....
... it may also depend of final image you plan. 30s for an image with an fully crowded street may give you other results than raising iso and lowering to 0,1s...;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Geog
Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
tived

Info

by tived » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:41 am

go out and try and let us know your findings

thanks

Henrik

no avatar
parisbyphoto

Info

by parisbyphoto » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:53 pm

a combination of the 2. I have definitely had close to 30 second exposure times and a very boring wait. I have also tried to reduce the time somewhat by jacking up the ISO, but then I have issues with crowd control, i.e. they show up:) As soon as it stops raining I plan to go shoot a few night gigapixel panos. They will probably take around 30 minutes a time. not nice when standing in the cold!
Last edited by parisbyphoto on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.