Google API integration?  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
DigiPhot

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Google API integration?

by DigiPhot » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:48 pm

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Let's all go Garden Gnome... (pano2vr software)

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Liked in: 23 posts
Info

by ERR » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:40 pm

Unfortunately, if they don't keep up with the latest "innovations" we will have no choice will we?
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

pgielen

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by pgielen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 am

Remember that Streetview API support has never been an issue until Google decided to withdraw their support of Trusted Photographers. In the 'old' days, nobody expected Kolor to support Streetview.

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:37 am

I 100% agree. Google did something (if you are a TIP then you know) which was morally and ethically reprehensible BUT since Google did make the API freely available to all qualified companies who applied, didn't it make sense to take advantage of this and grab new customers especially since Google & Facebook are (seemingly) abandoning 360°video in favor of 180°? That would be a win/win for GoPro/Kolor.
The sun will come out, tomorrow... Well if not tomorrow then at least in 4 years and if not 4 years then most definitely 8 years max. But hopefully in 1 year or less.

no avatar
benji33
Kolor Team

Liked in: 199 posts
Info

by benji33 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 am

Roshan wrote:Hopefully, the Kolor team will integrate the API in the near future

Not in a near future, but the subject is not closed on our side. It's why I talk about great options where SV panoramas are managed as GoThru, Pano2VR, ...

pgielen wrote:Or maybe someone with good programming skiĺls can build a PtP plugin????

Seems very difficult with only a plugin, you have to manage the online data and all the links with an OAuth service. Not very simple from a only a plugin. And Panotour is not able to manage the elevation part for instance.

edgar_ali wrote:currently in Panotour I am able to export a file that you can view in your mobile device (i.e.: iphone) using panotour viewer...
Will forgejs able to do that?

Panotour Viewer is not developed anymore at this time. At this time there is no other way that load the tour from a localhost server application on your mobile device with ForgeJS.

edgar_ali wrote:Another feature that I use a lot in panotour is assigning hotspots in places, however these hotspots does not have any actions assigned (I just want the people to see the dots)...Will forgejs have this option???

Just visual hotspots ? Of course.

edgar_ali wrote:are you going to eliminate panotour eventually??

No, the development is just slow down for many reasons (ForgeJS development, new projects, urgent internal tasks on others products).

pgielen wrote:Seems off-topic to me, but ForgeJS (just like krPano) needs a GUI to streamline the workflow, which is the 'raison d'être' of PtP. And krPano works on almost all devices (excluding a Macbook with Chrome), ForgeJS works on almost none.

ForgeJS will be able to do the same in a near future. krpano exists since many years now, and we have to fill the gap quickly.

ERR wrote:WOW! So you are explicitly telling us to drop Kolor software and purchase the competitions?

Not to drop, but only use others when there are better. Each software has it's qualities and it's lacks.

ERR wrote:Unfortunately, if they don't keep up with the latest "innovations" we will have no choice will we?

pgielen wrote:Remember that Streetview API support has never been an issue until Google decided to withdraw their support of Trusted Photographers. In the 'old' days, nobody expected Kolor to support Streetview.

As said into these 2 posts, It's not really an innovation. Google has decided to open it's API and remove it from it's offers.
It's a really bad decision for their customers, but Panotour has never been on this market before.
Since this communication, of course, the question was raised, but even if it would have been a good thing to support it, we don't have the ability to do it at this time.

Now the API is opened to everyone for information, so a freelance developer can do the job for you also. It's not limited to qualified companies as before.
https://developers.google.com/maps/docu ... iew/?hl=en

ERR wrote:Google & Facebook are (seemingly) abandoning 360°video in favor of 180°?

This is wrong, at least for Facebook. The 180° media can be of course better for some kinds of projects, but the 360° is here and all efforts are done by these big companies to add "storytelling/narrative" parts and audio (binaural/ambisonics) for 360° into the loop.
Benjamin

no avatar
360panosi

Liked in: 7 posts
Info

by 360panosi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 pm

Im sad about Kolor. Why, why?

I think that PTP is the number one software for virtual tour, but it need a big upgrade like Google Street View, responsive design for mobile devices, more custom skins....

Ah....without word.

Kevin likes this post.

no avatar
oiamusic

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by oiamusic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 am

I totally agree. Google made the API freely available to all qualified companies. That is a win/win for GoPro/Kolor.

signmaster

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

by signmaster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 am

I don't think Kolor should worry about Google Street View. The platform is now open to anyone with a low quality 360 camera, there is no longer a "see inside" button and your high quality images can be pushed out by anyone's poor quality images. I have been a Google Trusted photographer for some years but now tend to focus on higher end tours. I would like Kolor to push ahead with what I think is the best tour creation program out there. It's easy to use, fast, highly customisable and there are a lot of great plug-ins available. Kolor should focus their energy on fixing the bugs, updating the various standard plug-ins, control bars, etc., making things more responsive and modern, Improveing mobile device compatibility. Bring out a new version that we will make us happy to pay good money to upgrade.

Steve

no avatar
ERR

Topic author
Info

by ERR » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm

As a PP of 30+ years who occasionally sells high end tours and user APG, PTP & LV, having the Google API incorporated into PTP would be a very valuable addition simply because it's a "value added" offering to premium tours: "If you purchase our premium tour we will include a "free" upload to Google Maps". Can't speak for Australia market but that works here. But over here, Americans love free "####" even if it doesn't work.

PTP is a fantastic app but it's so "old" it's almost comically old. Every output should be responsive "html5". New menu (dropdown) and navigation options are a must. Better still image galleries. Basically I would like to see PTP develop into a one stop website developer. It's already 75% of the way there so why not push it to 100%.

Kolor's hands are tied by Nick Woodman who has no idea what he's doing these days. He's single handedly killing GoPro with poor decisions (GoPro Channel & Karma) making login mandatory to use the app... When you look at PTP and how far behind it is compared to P2VR (which I would purchase but I'm too heavily invested in APG, PTP and Live View) it boggles the mind. Don't get me started on the lack of progression or updates for Live View. It was a total waste of my hard earned money as I can't use if for anything now.

PTP could be a "killer app" with regards to providing a new and unique way to design and view websites of the future by integrating traditional responsive (Html5) design with killer 360 functionality. It's very frustrating to see the potential of a product go to waste because of a few bad decisions. Believe me, if I had an aptitude to code I'd be all over an app that could do what I just described. But alas, my calling was photography...

Make PanoTour Pro Great again!

P.S are they allowing immigrants from the USA to Australia or France (for the obvious reason)! ;)

2 people like this post.

Previous