GoPro Karma VS ??  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 214 posts
Info

GoPro Karma VS ??

by Destiny » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

Hi there... I am probably known for telling it how it is.. Its called... "Being Honest!" Here is a little review...

I have edited images captured using both the Maverick and Karma Drones.. I love the Maverick and all its neat features.. Its a great looking Drone too. But, the media output has issues.. The basic camera output is not what I would call great quality, however to me the main issue is the fact that every single video and image has the props in the view.. Consequently they need to be edited out.. Unless others using it have managed to avoid this.. The media quality with the basic camera fitted is not the best, but you can attach a much more expensive camera. The difference in quality is very noticeable using a Zenmuse X5+. But as I said, it comes at a very high price... partially the HDR camera option.. I would love one but.. Dream on.. $$$

The Karma Drone however, achieves heaps better quality media output using the its standard camera compared with above, with a GoPro camera and more importantly, NO props in the media since the camera is located at the front of the Drone.. A neat feature of this approach is the gimbal is removable..

I do not know the pros and cons in using the GoPro Gimbal VS the Osmo setup...

There are pros and cons with any gear. But now that the GoPro Karma has had some firmware updates, and it does not fall out of the sky, its worth considering, mainly due to the fact the media output is free from all props..

One feature I would love to see with a drone, when capturing video indoors.. Click and record where it is, click and click then follow that path in a smooth capture... That would be very nice...

Destiny...

signmaster

Liked in: 22 posts
Info

Re: GoPro Karma VS ??

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:18 am

Hi Destiny
What is the Maverick drone?

Steve

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:31 am

LOL.. Stupid auto correct.. Sorry, it should be Mavic, by DJI... I am a bit of a Maverick.. =D :cool:

Destiny..

signmaster

Info

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:51 am

I own a Mavic and don't normally have trouble with the props, the camera is mounted on the front. If it is windy or in sports mode the props will show up. When I take panos with it the props only show up in the wind or if the camera is pointing up. Sometimes the sun will reflect of the props and appear in the image. I think the quality from such a small camera is excellent. The Karma would most likely be better as the latest GoPros are very good. The biggest advantage with the Mavic is its small size.

Steve

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 am

Thank you Steve.. Thats interesting.. The pano images I have edited have the props in them.. Perhaps he pointed the camera up too much... But the Karma did not have props.. and neither did the Phantom images..

I am jealous of your Mavic.. The reviews of that drone are very good.. The images I had were captured using an X5 with HDR mount, do you think the camera/lens can make a difference.. Like more FOV.. ???

Destiny...

signmaster

Info

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:26 am

I have not tried a HDR pano as yet. I normally use litchi to shoot the panos. Here is one that I took this morning using the DJI app, shot very quickly, about a 1 min to shoot the images compared to litchi about 10min. The images were a bit crooked but it was quite windy, gitting high wind warnings all the time. But Autopano stitched them without any input from me other than a couple of inital settings. https://goo.gl/maps/LJonvTmVqEq Here is a couple more shot using the Litchi app. https://goo.gl/maps/wi4zY3eAAXE2 https://goo.gl/maps/7vdpCkbPywF2 A better camera would definitly give better results but the portability ensures that you actually use the drone a lot more.

Destiny likes this post.

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 am

Wow, they are really good and no props.. I think you have a Mole problem :lol: :lol: My husband looked at your images and said it reminded him of a place called Coober Pedy he visited many years ago. You sure do get around.. Wonderful panos....

The HDR option is a feature of the camera gamble.. I am a bit confuse with it to be honest... Its an expensive extra... The X5 camera is mounted on it and apparently the memory stick fits into the gamble camera support.. I just read that there is an X7.. Never endings.... I have just checked on the HDR.. Its related to the X5R.. You can see it here. I thought it could be mounted not the Mavic, but I am confused with it all.. https://www.dji.com/products/compare-zenmuse
I can only go buy the images I have had to edit for others with this gear....

Destiny...

signmaster

Info

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I think those cameras are for the Inspire 2, that is one of DJIs professional drones. Their smaller drones don't have interchangable cameras. If I use the Litchi app to take panos with my Mavic I can take HDR panos. Lightning Ridge is a opal mining town very similar to Coober Pedy.

Steve

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Oh I see....

I wonder if you can shoot in different light spectrums to see the old river beds. Perhaps Opals are deposited around old river beds.. Safire's are.. How can the miners survive with no shop... There seems to be nothing for km.. Do you shoot those panos for a hobby or is it for a job.. to see where best to dig...

Destiny...

signmaster

Info

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 pm

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:40 pm

Nice....

I guess then that I have miss understood the Mavic with props in the images..

So I am guessing then that the Mavic is still the better Drone.. as far as features go.. But since I do not have either to test, which do you think has the better media capture quality..??

Destiny...

signmaster

Info

by signmaster » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 pm

I would say the Kama would be better quality as it could be fitted with the latest GoPrp camera. The disadvantage would be size and the lack of Apps to shoot 360 panos. I would think you would have to shoot the images manually which may be easy but I dont know as i have never used a Kama. The DJI drones all have apps to automate the process.

Steve

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 am

Yes, I understand that.. Apps and Features of the Karma has always been its downfall.. Ha.. apart from them falling out of the sky that is.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are a bunch of features I would like to see added and quite honestly, I should not have to ask for them since they are obvious and always needed.. They have Follow Me I heard as a new Firmware update but not really sure what else it has.. I have always liked the Karma and i became very excited about it but was amazed that DJI release the Mavic about a week later with a tone of features. I really like that Drone.

There is another drone where you can walk around in a house etc, and it will remember and retrace the footsteps. With a smoothing gimbal the video should look awesome.. Then add that to a VR Tour...

There are some places I could like to capture around the Glasshouse Mountains, but I would only do that after I learnt how to fly it. I would also love to attach the Fusion 360 to some fishing line and dangle over the Walkway at Mount Tambourine.

Just some side points of view..

The naming of the Fusion is in my view a stupid name.. I realise it means to bring two things together but so many others are using the same name.. It should really have been named The GoPro 360.

Point 2.. Its really really ugly.. I feel its going to loose sales due to its body design.. The Nikon KeyMission is excellent looking but the media output is horrible. Unless they fix it with firmware.. The thing the Fusion has going for it, it has Kolor inside it.. Otherwise they would have made a dud I am sure of that..

Who knows what Santa might bring me.. I have been hinting I want a Drone or a 360 Cam but, I will probably get a vacuum cleaner... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Destiny...

signmaster likes this post.

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Hey, just seen this on the TV.. Its never ending....

https://store.dji.com/shop/spark-series ... u_products

Destiny...