Rendering Stitched images for optimal post processing  

All things panoramic.
An open forum for every topic on photography, panoramas, IT or related.
no avatar
John Pohl

Rendering Stitched images for optimal post processing

by John Pohl » Fri May 02, 2014 12:22 am

I am trying to understand the relation ship between dpi, 16 bit and what will give me the best image quality to work with. I currently post process images using light room and photo shop. I have been saving the files as psd. I noticed as I increase the dpi the image size is reduced? Regardless I would be interested in any advice on providing the "optimal" or "best" image to render. I understand that this will increase the size but diskspace is not an issue. Seems like a basic question but would appreciate some advice.

no avatar
klausesser

Re: Rendering Stitched images for optimal post processing

by klausesser » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 am

John Pohl wrote:I am trying to understand the relation ship between dpi, 16 bit and what will give me the best image quality to work with. I currently post process images using light room and photo shop. I have been saving the files as psd. I noticed as I increase the dpi the image size is reduced? Regardless I would be interested in any advice on providing the "optimal" or "best" image to render. I understand that this will increase the size but diskspace is not an issue. Seems like a basic question but would appreciate some advice.

Hi!

dpi or ppi is a term related to printing images only. It means the density of the printed points (dots). As long as you don´t need to print your rendering onto paper: forget about dpi.

Lave it to the default dpi.

The shear AMOUNT of pixels defines the over-all resolution. The size of the plane on which these pixels are placed depends on the sheer amount of the pixels.
Large plane = wider spread pixels = viewing on a longer distance. Small plane = less wider spread pixels = viewing details on a shorter distance. The amount of pixels being the same.

So you can fill a larger plane only if you accept a certain distance between pixels - to be viewed on a larger distance.
So you can fill a smaller plane having lesser distance between the pixels - which means viewing it on shotar distances, which means viewing all the details in the image better: they´re not "pixalised."
Have a very close look to a daily newspaper´s photo: you can see the print-dots. Hold the paper on arm´s length: you mostr likely will NOT recognize that the images is based on many seperate dots.
The standard for offset print in magazin-quality is 300dpi.

Conclusion:
your only concern needs to be: how large does my pano needs to be for being displayed on a screen of a certain size? It´s obvious that a very big screen or the projection via a beamer nees to have more (native) pixels than on a tablet.

Also important these days is: hoi far can i zoom into the pano? Quite obviously a depper zoom needs more pixels for viewing it closer.

See here three examples from my work:

1) 6 fisheye shots of 21mpx each provide 112mpx: http://www.360impressions.de/Wohnung (zoom in)
2) 45 shots with a 35mm lens, 21mpx each provide 700mpx: http://www.360impressions.de/Klap (zoom in)
3) 214 shots using an 85mm lens, 21mpx each provide about 4gpx: http://www.360impressions.de/KBogen413

"16bit" means the color-depth: 4096 steps instead of 256 steps with "8bit" for each RGB color.
during the rendering/editing process ist´s prefrable to use 16bit. After all the editing is finished you can make it 8bit without risk.

But importing 16bit TIFFs into PanoTour Pro also is clever - PTP makes them JPG anyway and can use the 16bit/TIFFs as an optimal basis.

best, Klaus

no avatar
John Pohl

Re: Rendering Stitched images for optimal post processing

by John Pohl » Sat May 03, 2014 5:19 am

Klaus your the best - thanks for your help. John

Return to Open discussion