Cheap and cheerful mask tool required  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
ewildgoose

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Cheap and cheerful mask tool required

by ewildgoose » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:47 pm

Hi Alexandre,

First let me say, wow what a fanstatic tool you have created here. I am a long time PTassembler user and I think we may even have exchanged a couple of emails a few years back when autopano was very new. I haven't used it a lot for a while due to lack of time and just shot some pictures yesterday and was shopping around to see what had changed and came across autopano pro. I was so impressed with the demo that I bought it one hour later

OK, second pano that I created I hit a problem. I had taken some 180 degree beach shots and someone walked passed me as I was doing one of the shots, so I paused for a few seconds and then hit a second frame of the same area on the grounds that I could just quickly mask the person out from alternately one or the other of the two frames. However, there is no easy way to do this within the autopano interface and I would appear to need to drop out to photoshop and play with layers

I don't need anything too fancy, but I would sure see a need for a fairly basic masking brush tool, which would basically just be a hard edged brush of variable size, and effectively just clip the frame around the drawn region (in fact make it a simple rectangle if that's the only way to get the feature added!). The idea would be that you can effectively clip out regions of each image that you don't want the final optimiser to use in a fairly crude way - the use would simply be where you have transient objects in one frame or the other (or shadow from a cloud, or something which changed, blew into view, etc, etc).

I'm not looking for something as fancy as Photoshop or else I would be exporting the final result into photoshop! But it would be really handy to have a quick mask tool to clean things up

Hope this might make the feature list for 1.4...

Congratulations and good luck

Ed W

no avatar
beeloba

Info

by beeloba » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Hi ewildgoose.

Welcome to APP ;-)

I have read that request few times recently.
Fo the tool you're asking for I don't know if Alexandre has accurately answered yet.

Just that as a start. http://forum.autopano.net/p3688-2006-09-20-13-20-34#p3688

Read a little the forum topics and meanwhile - I sur that someone more skilled than me, will complete your question ;)
Last edited by beeloba on Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
ewildgoose

Topic author
Info

by ewildgoose » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:29 am

For sure an automatic system would be great, and perhaps actually something which really belongs in the stitcher library anyway? I guess a more advanced stitcher would have elements of this included already (for example I notice that my person is half ghosted out anyway.

However, I'm rather hoping for something that is easier to implement and hence likely to appear quite soon. I was hoping that a very limited masking system, such as either rectangular masks, or better yet a simple variable sized hard edged paint tool (no alpha channel) might be "simple" enough to implement that it would appear quite soon...

Quite a few of my panos would benefit from such a tool because I tend to take them in mildly busy areas. For top quality Photoshop is required, but I want to try and avoid this step for 90% of my shots if possible

Cheers

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:00 am

Why don't you render the pano as layers and then remove what you want in Photoshop? I've done similar panos to remove moving cars or pedestrians from the scene.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
ewildgoose

Topic author
Info

by ewildgoose » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:22 am

Why don't you read my original post :-)

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:52 pm

Oh. I'm sorry. I assumed after you render your panorama, you open it in some photo manipulation software and do retouch work on it. Then, it's just a matter of quick clean up with the eraser tool.

As that's not the case, we can all sit tight and wait. Here's what Alexandre has to say about it on another thread. It was planned for the current stable - v1.2 (I guess), but at some point Smartblend got integrated, as anti-ghosting was much requested and I got the impression Alexandre is not ready to deploy his own logic. I think what you suggest is suitable for a first step to the "intelligent tourist remover", that beeloba links to.

More on this feature: http://forum.autopano.net/p2947-2006-08-18-12-11-55#p2947
Last edited by [bo] on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:29 pm

Sometimes you want a "tourist inserter", see http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/dynoGallDetail.asp?photoID=2832238

And there was a pano of a renisance fair that showed a lot of performers (and the landscape repeated several times, so it was more than a 360 degree pano).

no avatar
ewildgoose

Topic author
Info

by ewildgoose » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:59 pm

I didn't read the MS paper, but intuitively I am not sure how it's possible to remove the moving figure using only two overlapping pictures. For sure it's ok if there are three pictures, but with only two pictures I don't see how it's possible to figure out which pixels to keep and which to remove?

I still think that a crude masking tool is all that's really required here. It's almost a case that you just want to mark which picture is foreground and which is background, but it could be useful to have slightly more control via a custom mask.

The motivation is just to save time from having to jump out to photoshop. It's not the goal to repro photoshop quality touchups in APP! Just simple masking is all that makes sense here I think?

Cheers for listening

Ed W