Observations - feature request  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
ben

Observations - feature request

by ben » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:02 am

First I would like to thank you for this excellent tool. Having read some of your replies to other posts I feel that you are dedicated to making this software a real success. I am glad about this because I think it has a lot of potential...

I will write some feature requests as well as some observations.

Feature Request:
- Undo functionality when in 'edit' mode. (At present I have to start from the beginning if I make a mistake in 'edit' mode.)
- Ability to select one picture and move it slightly the same way PTgui does it, and all the other pictures will re-adjust automatically.
- Plugin functionality that would allow us to use Photoshop plugins on one picture individually or the whole panorama.

Observations:
- Linear blending seems to work a lot better than multiband (is this normal? I would have thought multiband would have been better).
- Your color correction feature is *excellent*! (very useful when pictures don't have the same brightness or contrast. I got amazing results playing around with this feature. Thanks!)
- Setting horizon to be horizontal is not that easy, even when using the 'set vertical' button, perhaps another method would be better, e.g. A user can select a few points (perhaps 3 or 4) that need to be 'straightened' to produce a horizontal line, and then press enter.

Thanks,

Ben
Last edited by ben on Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:49 pm

Undo functionality is now implemented in Autopano Pro 1.1 :)
François Simond

no avatar
ben

by ben » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Great. Thanks a lot.

It would be nice to have a better horizontal adjustment tool. I have made several panos that need to be straightened horizontally and haven't managed to get the 'vertical' tool to do what I want. It is very good for vertical alignments but very tricky to get horizontal alignmets.

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi ben
Have you tried Yaw/Pitch/Roll numerical transformations ?

That's sometimes a method that allows the necessary extreme precision to adjust alignments :)
François Simond

no avatar
GURL

by GURL » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:00 pm

- Setting horizon to be horizontal is not that easy, even when using the 'set vertical' button, perhaps another method would be better, e.g. A user can select a few points (perhaps 3 or 4) that need to be 'straightened' to produce a horizontal line, and then press enter.

Using the using the Auto Level button is the first thing to do.

Then, you should place vertical lines using the Set verticals button and using the red (vertical) line or the yellow (horizontal) line to guess the correct orientation.

For some difficult panoramas this is not enough: the large gray horizontal line which corresponds to the "mathematical horizon" and should cross any point in the subject which was at the same height where the camera lens was, is too low or to high. To correct that you must use a third tool, the Set Center Point button to move this line upward or downward until everything is (or looks) perfect.

An interesting example (very difficult if you are picky enough) is the Greek temple in the Official samples pack where the paved road probably is rising toward the right and the temple probably built like Greek temples were (the bottom part is larger than the top part so that the result is more stable ...and looks higher than it actually is.)

When stitching this pano I used the Set verticals button to place red/yellow crosses on both ends of the road and on the temples but this was not enough. Slightly rising the gray horizontal line seems to give a better result.
Georges

no avatar
ben

by ben » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I will have to look into the Yaw/Pitch/Roll settings.
I still believe that selecting 3 or 4 points that should be horizontal would be a lot easier though :-)

Return to Autopano future