Geometry correction icons  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
DrSlony

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Geometry correction icons

by DrSlony » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:49 pm

As pointed out most humbly and respectfully by touristguy87, I took a look at the geometry correction icons and they have one thing in common that doesn't make much sense - the convex internal shape:
- All icons that control individual source images have a convex shape... shouldn't they be concave? ImageImage
- Icons that correspond to the whole panorama also have a background that would suggest 1 source image, not the whole pano. It might make more sense if the background suggested the whole pano. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

e.g.
From this Image to this Image or this Image
From this Image to this Image
From this Image to this Image or this Image

Personally I don't care much, I'm used to the old icons and I don't recall ever having a problem with understanding them (hooray for tooltips and status bar messages), but I can think of at least one person who does.
Last edited by DrSlony on Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 pm

DrSlony wrote:Personally I don't care much, I'm used to the old icons and I don't recall ever having a problem with understanding them (hooray for tooltips and status bar messages), but I can think of at least one person who does.

Changing the icons into rectangle visualizing the pano i would agree.
like here: Image
Nevertheless i doubt that would make anything more transparent to "at least one person" . . :cool:
But it´s a point anyway.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Interface design is important especially for new users of the software, clear and intuitive icons can help and assist with the learning curve.
Why do I think of Origami whilst looking at the icons?
Anyway new visualisations can be a benefit.

Gordon
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:12 pm

DrSlony wrote:As pointed out most humbly and respectfully by touristguy87, I took a look at the geometry correction icons and they have one thing in common that doesn't make much sense - the convex internal shape:
- All icons that control individual source images have a convex shape... shouldn't they be concave?

I think a FE will convert to a concave image in APP, but a 12mm rectilinear lens on a FF camera gives a very convex shape.

So you won't make all the people happy all the time :) But the tooltips help a lot.
Last edited by hankkarl on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:02 pm

hankkarl wrote:I think a FE will convert to a concave image in APP, but a 12mm rectilinear lens on a FF camera gives a very convex shape.

True.

I agree with second proposal that apply to the full panorama ( we can remove the lines that delimits layer and not panorama ).