Support for "rows" (used with the GigaPan robotic head)  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
spyboy

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Support for "rows" (used with the GigaPan robotic head)

by spyboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm beta testing the new GigaPan robotic head (www.gigapansystems.com) and found their software is slow (single core use).

I can run a pano through APP much quicker than their software, but it doesn't stitch water very well (if there's nothing else in the shot but water, it can't find stitch points).

The GigaPan Stitcher app loads all of the images in and shows a preview grid, and you spec the # of rows for your pano.

The robotic head shoots from top to bottom, left to right, so the incremental images are..

1 - top left
2 - middle left
3 - bottom left
4 - top center
5 - middle center
6 - bottom center
7 - top right
8 - middle right
9 - bottom right
etc

this positioning allows the application to know where a shot of water is located.

If APP could support this mode, it would be terrific!

Here is how it loads the images..

images are dropped into the interface (note the rows are incorrect)

rows are adjusted to 3 and the picture makes sense now

rendering begins

no avatar
spyboy

Topic author
Info

by spyboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:27 pm

This is how APP currently detects the pano, and tries to stitch, note all the missing water because there's not enough unique points to make the stitch

Here is a proposed concept for APP to support GigaPan images

On the left is a "GigaPan Stack" checkbox

After the images are loaded, and the user checks the "GigaPan Stack" checkbox, they can alter the number of rows (just as GigaPan Stitcher does)

The resulting thumbnails of the images are readjusted to show what the final pano would look like. APP could then stitch knowing where each of the water photos was located. (I'm sure there's some serious programming on the back end for this)

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm

1- Not everybody uses a GigaPan, but some people use hardware that may allow them to not need to match images, since that hardware could be very precise, so creating any option with a name specific to some company's hardware is a bad idea. So lets call this option "Template" (i couldnt think of anything better and this makes sens, since it implies that the positions are constant in a way)

2- We need an interface where we can set:
a- direction:
I: left-right, up, right left, up, left-right, etc (most often used in non-360° panos)
II: left-right, up, rewind, left right, up, rewind, left-right, etc (most often used in 360° panos)
III: same thing as I but vertical
IV: same thing as II but vertical
b- bracketing, if the shots were bracketed then these grid cells above should represent stacks and not individual images
c- an option "Should APP fine-adjust the positions?", so that if the answer is no, APP will just need to stitch them without looking for any CPs, but if the answer is yes, then APP will look for CPs but only allow small changes. This limit to small changes is good if, like in your pano, there is water or any other repetitive pattern and APP could incorrectly place a CP far away.

no avatar
spyboy

Topic author
Info

by spyboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:48 pm

I was using that as an example. I do agree, a more templated approach would work, incase people make their own robotic pano heads. They might shoot to shoot all horizontal shots first, then drop down a row and continue shooting across.

So giving the ability to spec how the shots are layed out would be great.

Kirk

no avatar
BeeZed

Info

by BeeZed » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:55 pm

I think Alexandre is already headed that way in the Autopano 2. See Section 3. MOTORIZED PANOHEAD SUPPORT

http://www.autopano.net/wiki/action/view/Latest_Beta

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:09 am

With the last beta, try menu file, import, use gigapan plugin, it works like the gigapan software, set the number of column, row, hit refresh, when ok, hit detection.
It works. The only stuff I didn't finished in this code is when a picture don't have any control point, I need to improve the algorithm that handles that. Everything else is just working like the gigapan software. BTW : I'm currently coding bracketing support in this plugins. I got yesterday a sample of a gigapan shot with AEM bracketing, and I will improve the plugin to support that directly.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:11 am

screenshot :

Paul

Info

by Paul » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Alexandre,

as my robot takes the pictures first by row (from left to right) and then by column (from bottom to top):
how can I teach that APP Giga?

cheers
Paul
Paul

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 am

We don't have that option yet, Paul, but that's easy to add.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:14 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:With the last beta, try menu file, import, use gigapan plugin, it works like the gigapan software, set the number of column, row, hit refresh, when ok, hit detection.
It works. The only stuff I didn't finished in this code is when a picture don't have any control point, I need to improve the algorithm that handles that. Everything else is just working like the gigapan software. BTW : I'm currently coding bracketing support in this plugins. I got yesterday a sample of a gigapan shot with AEM bracketing, and I will improve the plugin to support that directly.

Hi Alexandre!

Are you telling us there will be a plugin just for the gigapan-head? Or will there be others . . . :cool:?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:30 pm

plugins : there will be one plugin for gigapan, one for merlin, one for clauss rodeon and probably one for pixorb. We want to support them all.
Probably, we'll concentrate first on gigapan ( and clauss because we need this one for paris ), but after, we'll have all the tools to make any kind of stitching from motorized head.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:03 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:plugins : there will be one plugin for gigapan, one for merlin, one for clauss rodeon and probably one for pixorb. We want to support them all.
Probably, we'll concentrate first on gigapan ( and clauss because we need this one for paris ), but after, we'll have all the tools to make any kind of stitching from motorized head.

Hi Alexandre!

Good - but who needs it? I did severals panos now with the remore-controlled Merlin without having any plug-in . . what are they for anyway?
APP does a breathtaking fast and accurate job without a plug-in when you use a perfect line-up . .

best, Klaus

P.S.: ah - i see: for plain water and monochrome skies!?
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
gerardm

Info

by gerardm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:35 pm

It is helpful for working with lots of images using a telephoto lens. Clouds move, trees bend and shake. Manually moving hundreds of images is extra work. It is also helpful for macro work, where the depth of field is so small. It allows the creamy out of focus images to be properly placed.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:32 pm

gerardm wrote:It is helpful for working with lots of images using a telephoto lens. Clouds move, trees bend and shake. Manually moving hundreds of images is extra work. It is also helpful for macro work, where the depth of field is so small. It allows the creamy out of focus images to be properly placed.

ah - i see. Thanks, Gerard! I had only once to move a bigger set of pictures manually. That´s really a mess . . :cool:

Best, Klaus

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:32 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:It works. The only stuff I didn't finished in this code is when a picture don't have any control point, I need to improve the algorithm that handles that. Everything else is just working like the gigapan software. BTW : I'm currently coding bracketing support in this plugins. I got yesterday a sample of a gigapan shot with AEM bracketing, and I will improve the plugin to support that directly.

You know there's a matrix (or a table--may be a beter word than "template"). Just assign each image a row and column number based on user input. If there are no CPs, use the average of the other pictures in the row, and the other pictures in the column to start.

Then do like we do: check the overlaping parts of the images with SIFT set to medium, high and then low :) If that doesn't work, take the difference of each pixel-pair in the overlap region and sum the RMS. If you can't find 0, the lowest RMS wins.

no avatar
foundation

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by foundation » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Don't forget support for The Gadget Works "AutoMate" another pan tilt robot that adds support for timelapse panoramas!
http://www.thegadgetworks.com
Last edited by foundation on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.