Portable version of APP...  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
Pipetman

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Portable version of APP...

by Pipetman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:23 pm

Would be nice to be able to carry APP around on my USB stick.

It doesn't seem to write that much stuff into the registry and I'd love to see a portable version where you could re-direct settings, registration info etc. into an ini file.

- p

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Pipetman wrote:... It doesn't seem to write that much stuff into the registry...

I understand that you are thinking to Windows OS, probably XP, and you know already where APP is writing in the registry.
I don't know how to build a portable application that will tranfer registry keys/values to INI file. Sometime, I make a demo of my favorite APP to a friend from my USB key and after the demo finished, I go to its registry to clean it from APP keys.

Not so user friendly :( but workable and hope that I still respect Kolor. :)
Last edited by marco-pano on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
spyboy

Info

by spyboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:06 am

You can run Unbuntu from a USB drive (while in Windows) according to this article

http://snipurl.com/2ksox

Or if you want to run windows, there's always MojoPac
http://snipurl.com/2ksp4

All MojoPac does is make your user profile and installed apps reside on a portable device (usb key, drive, etc). You can then hook up your device to your friends PC (if he's running Windows) and log into your account, run your software (even games!) and still flip back to his system/account (and switch back and forth)

It used to be a pay application, but now I believe it's free. I used to use it when I visited my parents (before I had a laptop) so I could play games and run Autopano from my dad's desktop, without installing those apps on his machine.

Kirk

no avatar
Pipetman

Topic author
Info

by Pipetman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Running Ubuntu would be a bit overkill. I'm aware of MojoPac, but dislike the concept, as you need admin rights to run it on the host machine (or you have to install Usher).

There are many ways to make applications portable with a) NSIS wrappers (requires programming experience I don't have), b) Thinstall/VMware Northstar (prohibitively expensive) or c) JauntePE (an application that redirects registry and file system calls into a portable registry etc., it's what I currently use, but it's in alpha status, not developed anymore and has its quirks).

So the gist of it is, that nothing beats an application, which is written to be portable by the developer.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:03 pm

A portable version should be easy to write because the settings manager can either use registry or configuration files. It's a simple switch. So yes, that's easy to do.
---
A personal feeling : I never found U3 system or such portable stuff a great thing to use. But I'm not a moving guy so perhaps I never faced the need.
Is this really useful ? I'm just wondering ... Don't know in fact.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Well I used a portable Thunderbird on a usb stick when I went on holiday, and I suppose a portable APP would also be a good idea.

no avatar
spyboy

Info

by spyboy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 pm

What about an OS that boots off a USB memory key? Then the host pc is only for power, the installed OS on their hard drive is ignored.

How about APP for cellphones? LOL!!!

K

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:41 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:...I'm just wondering ... Don't know in fact.

Of course you know, Alexandre. You explained your plan to developp for December APP 2.0 which is much more than a simple upgrade with many new features or workflow. You recall also your wish for the panorama book. Both will certainly satisfy 99% of APP users.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
Pipetman

Topic author
Info

by Pipetman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:A portable version should be easy to write...

That sounds promising. Would be nice to see that in one of the upcoming versions

A personal feeling : I never found U3 system or such portable stuff a great thing to use. But I'm not a moving guy so perhaps I never faced the need. Is this really useful ? I'm just wondering ... Don't know in fact.

I'm not a fan of U3, but I highly value portable software. It is hugely useful to me (and I would assume a lot of other people) for many reasons. One is, to use portable software on my computer at work, where I'm in a locked down environment. Another reason is, that I regularly switch computers around or re-install OS's. It is then very easy to just copy portable applications to the new system and be up and running in no time. Over the last couple of years I have switched to portable software wherever possible and it is a big time saver (install an nLited WinXP: 30 min, install drivers: 15 min, install all updates via Autopatcher: 30 min, copy all portable software: 30 min). Confronted with a brand new system, I'm fully operational in less than two hours from start to finish and with minimal intervention -- That's the main reason I'm going for portable...

- p