Crop + Autofill option  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
marzipano

Topic author
Liked in: 14 posts
Info

Crop + Autofill option

by marzipano » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:53 pm

I was taking a look at free stitching software on the internet for a friend and as expected none of them is anywhere near as sophisticated as APP/APG (Kolor will be pleased to hear !)

However, I noticed one fancy facility available in Microsoft ICE 2.0.3 which is not in APP/APG and that is the facility to autofill missing areas where the top and bottom of pano images has slipped from the horizontal

Many of my panos are opportunistic street and rooftop scenes taken handheld and single row (usually about 12 portrait images for a 360 pano) but it is not uncommon to slip off the horizontal especially when the horizon has pronounced features such as steep mountains or tall buildings. In this case it is common to end up with missing areas of sky

The Microsoft ICE auto complete (part of crop) did a good job on sky when I looked at an example of mine. It also tries to fill any other missing areas but this is way beyond its ability and basically does not work at all well on detailed portions

How east would it be to put this into APP/APG as an option. I wouldn't expect the detailed portions to work any better tan for ICE but they can be cropped out again or corrected at a later time

I have got an example of how ICE treats missing sky below and you can see it is quite effective

Martin
Attachments
icecrop.jpg

Pany42 likes this post.

no avatar
Pany42

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Re: Crop + Autofill option

by Pany42 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:16 am

This is the same as my request a few threads below (
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31976 ) ... but don't get your hopes up, none of the devs seem to read this forum. And they seem to have stopped improving simple image stitching with AutoPano in favor of products only Kolor has like all the Video stuff.

PanoMonster likes this post.

no avatar
PanoMonster

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by PanoMonster » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Pany42 wrote:This is the same as my request a few threads below (
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31976 ) ... but don't get your hopes up, none of the devs seem to read this forum. And they seem to have stopped improving simple image stitching with AutoPano in favor of products only Kolor has like all the Video stuff.

it´s a real shame but was suspected by many after gopro bought kolor.
support for autopano is nonexistant, documentation is still not finished.

15 month ago i would have recommended autopano to everyone who searched for a pano stitcher.
but today you can´t recommend autopano anymore.

no avatar
Pany42

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by Pany42 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:57 am

PanoMonster wrote:it´s a real shame but was suspected by many after gopro bought kolor.
support for autopano is nonexistant, documentation is still not finished. 15 month ago i would have recommended autopano to everyone who searched for a pano stitcher. but today you can´t recommend autopano anymore.

Exactly, they're only interested in spherical stitching and not good ol' panoramas for us plain photography: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/24098 ... cquisition

It's a shame because AutoPano still has superior projection modes, but nowadays you'd be buying a dead product like OS/2 or Freehand. If there is no future, they shouldn't run an "Autopano Future" sub-forum but simply stat that it's only for user-user support.