Please allow white or RGB value as a rendering background not black  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
ssprengel

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Please allow white or RGB value as a rendering background not black

by ssprengel » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:59 am

It is cumbersome to be required to edit every uncropped panorama before it can be printed just to remove the black.

Please add an option to specify white, and perhaps other RGB colors that can be used instead of black.

Attached is an example of something that cannot be cropped, and needs the black removed before it can be printed.

John_Sauter

Info

by John_Sauter » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:50 am

This is quite easy to fix with The Gimp or Adobe Photoshop. Because of the straight lines you can easily specify the selection area as four rectangles. Erase everything, then place a white layer behind your picture.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:38 pm

ssprengel wrote:... to be required to edit every uncropped panorama before it can be printed just to remove the black.

I think that if you render as TIF file or PSD file, uncovered area (black in jpeg) will be transparent (alpha channel). You can print directly. I don't say that you need a transparent ink cartridge.

Enjoy pano.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
ssprengel

Topic author
Info

by ssprengel » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:59 pm

John_Sauter wrote:This is quite easy to fix with The Gimp or Adobe Photoshop. Because of the straight lines you can easily specify the selection area as four rectangles. Erase everything, then place a white layer behind your picture.

The point is that I shouldn't have to fix anything. APP shouldn't be doing something for an arbitrary reason that I have to fix every time.

APP does not typically create straight lines, with with curved ones, a magic-wand-type of thing needs to be done on a JPG and if there is black at the edge of the JPG then that will get picked up as well as well as error-diffusion changing some of the pixels from pure black to slightly different, so some pixel-level tweaking needs to be done, and selections need to have anti-aliasing turned off to keep from getting a black halo, etc.

My request is that APP be friendly to printing panos and just have a way to use white instead of black.

However, in the more general case, where someone wants to embed the panorama onto a web page with a non black or non-white background, then having a color other than black or white seems useful, as well. Or they might need to magic-wand the panorama and want to specify a color that is unlike any in the panorama so the selection doesn't bleed into the image.

To the other reply about using PSDs or TIFs, these are much larger and less universal format, so to have a JPG that is easily manipulated by other programs and easier on the disk space, I have to render as a PSD or TIF, then open it up and select the alpha-channel and change the color to white, then resave it. Why does APP require me to do this whenever I want to print something? What if I didn't have Photoshop or some other photo-editing program that handles transparency in TIFs or PSDs?

It is also not the case that PSDs are TIFs print white where they have black. It depends on the sophistication of the program, if it cares about the alpha channel or not.

To be friendly to printing from the rendered output, either APP should change the default background color from black to white or it should allow configuration of this color.