allow beta and production version of APP to coexist  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
hankkarl

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

allow beta and production version of APP to coexist

by hankkarl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 am

I'd like the beta versions (including RC versions) to be on my PC along with the last stable version.

1.4 RC1 has some serious problems with building panos:
-finds too many bad points compared to 1.3 latest version
-doesn't find as many good points, and leaves lots of unlinked images
-much, much slower to find panos.

This is using a 12mm rectilinear lens and setting the default lens value to "standard" for every pano.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:25 am

Erm, 1.4 is SLOWER for you?! I find it at least 20% faster in my projects... Granted, those are small panos, no fisheye, nothing complicated, but 1.4 gives better results, faster.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:12 am

Hi,
Same observation than [bo] for me. My panoramas are not big (less than 80 pictures) with 35mm/45mm focale length, sometime difficult because handhelp camera or using simple monopod.

1.4.0 RC1 is faster for detection, even in high detection, global RMS is generally a bit lower than given by 1.3, CP have often better distribution (not many in the sky).

Enjoy pano.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time

no avatar
hankkarl

Topic author
Info

by hankkarl » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:49 pm

I use a 12mm rectilinear lens with an EOS 5D, so I get an 88 x 111 degree FOV. 1.4.0 RC1 is a lot slower than 1.3 with this combination. But---I make panos with exposure set manually, and take several shots of each of the eight positions I use, generally +2 Ev, 0Ev, -2EV, and a couple more -Ev till I get to one where the brightest light or window looks good and sometimes I go 2 more Ev down just in case. With an almost 90 degree HFOV, every shot has either a light or window or both in it.

I wonder if the changes to APP have made it better for 35/45mm focal length and for fisheye, but have made it worse for 12mm rectilinear.

Note that at 12mm, things on the side get quite distorted by the lens. Here, I don't mean normal lens distortion, but intentional "de-fishing" done in the glass. For example, if I take a picture of someone, they will look fatter at the sides of the image than in the center. So the way that I work, image features at the center of one image have to match up to distorted features at the sides of the next picture. I assume that vertical distortion is the same on every image, so I think its only the horizontal distortion that affects APP. Note that I never do circular panos with this lens, the top and bottom are distorted. I always use a spherical projection which makes the top and bottom look better..

Perphaps APP needs to "pre-distort" images based on how wide the lens is. A 10mm lens on a 1.5 crop camera would give an effective length of 15mm, so it may not just be the lens I use.

Note that if I forget to change the lens type to standard, APP often crashes.

no avatar
hankkarl

Topic author
Info

by hankkarl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Used APP 1.4.0 R1 a few more times--seems the most delay is in the projection phase, IIRC there were a couple of other comments that projection took too long.

marco-pano

Info

by marco-pano » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi hankkarl,

Your initial suggestion was to use different versions of APP on same OS (that I guest is Win XP Pro). It seems to me that APP setup can install different versions in different application folder such as "...\Autopano Pro 130" and "...\Autopano Pro 140RC1" and every installations are independant in terms of files for running application.

The problem may arise because both versions will use the same registry key or value names under the current user hive (HKEY_CURRENTUSER\Software\Kolor\Autopano).

One possibility that I didn't try is :
+ have two user accounts with administration rights "userfor13" and userfor14" as example
+ install version APP 1.30 or 1.31A2 in folder "...\Autopano13" (example) under user "userfor13"

+ disconnect and connect to user "userfor14"
+ install APP 1.4.0 RC1 in folder "...Autopano14" (example) for this user. For APP 1.4***, I suggest that you don't install any system integration option such as "add detect panorama... in this folder" or "add autopano extension for Explorer".

+ make sure that any desktop or start menu shortcuts for one user point to the correct APP installation folder for it's relative APP version.

Before you reply to me, I already agree with you, it's not really user friendly and if you don't feel confident to deal with this hazardeous situation, if you don't understand my poor english explanations as soon as the first line , I suggest that you don't try anything.

It was just a try to help.
Last edited by marco-pano on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco, Paris ;)
Canon EOS 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105 LIS, EF 70-200 LIS - Canon G9 (wide-converter)
DxO v7.5, Autopano Pro 2.6, PS CS5 and time