Control point editor preview  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Topic author
Liked in: 10 posts
Info

Control point editor preview

by AlexandreJ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:36 pm

So let's talk about this next feature. Here's what we designed internally to get something quick and useable in autopano workflow.
Our design is still to get the best the most of time with the automatic mode, but in some case, we need to get a manual mode to adjust the result.

The edition will be based on this view in the panorama editor (you can see this mode in the 1.2beta version by hitting the strange pipette icon on right, a bad temporary hack to get a button )

For a calculated panorama, you can see links between pairs of pictures. If APP finds some control points between two pictures, a line will be draw between the center of both pictures indexes (white ellipse with the picture ID number in it) and will display on the line the quality of optimization residual in bold and the number of keypoints in smaller caps.
This rectangle will be green for a good match, orange for a bit less than good match and red for a bad match.
So just by looking at this graph, you can see in red which link causes a bad optimization and which are good.

Here's a proposition of what we want to do (it's open to discussion) :
- clicking on a rectangle link opens a standard control point editor between both pictures ( add / remove / modify control points )
- By dragging an ellipse, you can change the position of a picture in the panorama.
- You can drag from outside a picture to add it in the panorama.
- If you have a picture selected and hitting "del", you can remove the picture from the panorama.
- on this optimization toolbar, you'll have access to a "optimize" icon, to optimize the panorama again after change.

no avatar
Michael Ezra

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by Michael Ezra » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:52 pm

This is wonderful, thank you!

fma38

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by fma38 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:18 pm

Great !

What about pictures not detected as a part of the pano ? Could be nice to have the possibility to drag'n'drop it on the pano, around its final place, to help APP to find control points...
Frédéric

no avatar
Panorama fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Panorama fanatic » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Wow!

I am like APP becouse of it's authors don't go by the known way, but try to find new, and best

no avatar
ckiely

Info

by ckiely » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:23 pm

This is fascinating!

no avatar
Al

Info

by Al » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:51 pm

This editor seems a vast improvement over what's available elsewhere. As you envision it, would one be able to add control points that APP does not ID? I find occasionally I get ghosting along very complex horizons (mountain ridgelines for ex). I've solved the problem a couple of times by opening the project in PTGui, adding a few points along a ridge, then returing to APP for color/desnity blending. I have a couple of panos shot while standing on really narrow ledges where a tripod wasn't going to happen. Or is this the kind of issue that the anti-ghosting blender will solve?

no avatar
rschlierbeck

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by rschlierbeck » Mon May 01, 2006 4:21 pm

The ability to tell APP the initial positions of the images or the ability to arrange the images would be fantastic. Adding this would make this the single best pano application I have used.

no avatar
SimDC

Info

by SimDC » Tue May 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Very well thought - very descriptive !

PS :
Image index :
- remains constant even when images are removed ?
- relation between index and image filename ? ( some images can be very similar )

SimDC

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Thu May 04, 2006 9:28 am

"Seams control points" being distinguished from "distortion control points" : does this make sense?

PanoTools stitchers use CP to decide of the lens(es) FOV and distortion coefficients. For that the higher the distance between CPs the better (ideally CPs should be spread over the entire overlap region). Users can import known FOV values and/or distortion coefficients and avoid the "lens(es) optimization".

Every stitcher - I presume - uses CP to make two source images correspond near the (future) seam location and for that the lower the distance between this (future) seam and the CPs the better: for this "sub-goal", CPs could be seen as a "doted line indication" of the desired border line.

Adding a CP editor to APP results in making the user playing a role in the optimization process. This is useful because
1) the user knows some facts about the photographed scene APP don't know, like "this is a moving object and the corresponding CP is stupid", etc
2) the user knows some facts about the resulting pano APP don't, like "large stitching errors in the blue sky and clouds don't really matter but the lower the stitching errors along the river the better.

When using PanoTools stitchers, I often remove "good CPs" in unimportant locations and add more CPs near some "bad ones" because I would dislike large stitching errors occurring in their vicinity...
Georges

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:03 pm

This editor is great! However, sometimes I take multiple shots at different exposures for HDR, and the elipses overlay each other, as do the status boxes.

At a minimum, could you indicate that there are several photos there (use a different colored border on the elipse, or larger elipse, and similar for the boxes) and show the worst-case box on top (the connection with the worst quality)? Selecting different images and boxes could be done by the mouse wheel. (the mouse wheel should also be used in layer view so you can cycle through a stack of photos.)

Last edited by hankkarl on Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Topic author
Info

by AlexandreJ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:46 pm

We have already solved this issue and you'll see the solution soon.

no avatar
masgian

Info

by masgian » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:31 am

soon = when? :)

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Topic author
Info

by AlexandreJ » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:16 am

soon = week. I hope to release a first beta version this week. It will not be the only new feature.