HDR slider  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
GURL

HDR slider

by GURL » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 pm

As far as I understand this slider action, I would prefer:
- Either two sliders, the left one being used to set the correspondence between the 8-bit value zero and some HDR values and the right one being used to set the correspondence between the 8-bit value 255 and some higher HDR values.
- Or no slider at all, APP being able to determine the best fit, that is the setting where the largest number of HDR values in the panorama correspond to "visible values" of the [0..255] 8-bit interval.

If neither is possible, then I missed something...
Georges

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:56 am

Hello GURL !

What you ask is to disable HDR display for HDR data. HDR data cannot be fully displayed on screen correctly because of it's wide dynamic range.
We could lower the contrast enough to display all the dynamic range on the screen, but the resulting image would look flat and dull, and you would loose the ability to check each zone with the hdr slider.
This particular slider is here to adjust display, not output.

What you ask is already provided by tone mappers : convert a high dynamic range image to a low dynamic range displayable on a screen.
François Simond

no avatar
GURL

by GURL » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:04 pm

f.simond wrote:This particular slider is here to adjust display, not output.

What you ask is already provided by tone mappers : convert a high dynamic range image to a low dynamic range displayable on a screen.

So that tone mappers actions do not depend of this slider setting ?
(A quick and dirty test I just did seems to confirm that the answer is: YES)
Last edited by GURL on Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

no avatar
bilzmale

by bilzmale » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:44 pm

I've misunderstood this too - if the slider only effects display is it best to go straight to tone mapping? What value is there in having it?

Bill

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

You are right, it's not really cleverly designed. I'll redesign it for the v1.3 version.
The slider is just here to be able to get something displayable. It doesn't affect tone mapper.

Return to Autopano future