Autopano 4 whislist  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
gkaefer

Autopano 4 whislist

by gkaefer » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Support for One graphic Card...
+ apg can make use of more than One gpu Core.
+ apg can use total Memory of Multi Core cards, not only the Memory bind to One Core

Georg

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Re: Autopano 4 whislist

by AlexandreJ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:36 pm

hahaha. A probable yes for one of these demands :)

no avatar
Gittes

by Gittes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 pm

My Autopano 4 Wish list
  • BigTiff Support. Pretty please.
  • Color profile management or awareness and at least copy/honor source image profiles when saving with all render file types (looking at you PSB/PSD)
  • Do corrections for distortions, chromatic aberrations and vignetting without Adobe Lens Profile, and with no or minimal lens and camera information
  • Full automation with scripting with command line tools and/or API, no GUI required. Able to run automation without GUI on headless host/server, and run everything from beginning to end on headless computer/server. Includes installing/uninstalling & license management of software to aid in automation with hosted services. (Like I want to submit my multi terapixel job to a newly erected super beefy hosted server on Amazon AWS that costs a lot per hour, do the rendering, and destroy the server when I'm done and have a small(er) bill. Large terapixel scale stuff or just use an extra computer that's in the closet running Linux for gigapixel stuff. All the same methods.)
  • Want it tomorrow :p

Things I could do if I had command line/API tools, but would be nice if you had for Autopano version 5

• Able to submit jobs from desktop/client via GUI or command line/API to headless server with batch queue on it
  • Server clustering or batch job division between multiple batch queue hosts
  • Post render functions, like creating multiple resized images, cropping, color & image manipulation/filters, cropping & tiling images, padding, background filling
  • Not actually support all 3rd party large image viewers and do all the work, but have ability to define preset settings to do post rendering functions for asset requirements/prerequisites of 3rd party panorama viewers (Like leaflet.js JavaScript library for interactive maps wants tiles to be all equal size, with X & Y title section in tile file name, and zoom levels in it's own folder. So I defined a preset to create and perform the exact series of function again and again)

Might be asking for too much... but BigTiff, color profile management, image correction, and GUI-less command line/API tools would be my top picks and I could make the rest happen with other tools. The server/client batch queue clustering and post rendering function can something nice for version 5.

-Chris

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Gittes wrote:[*]Do corrections for distortions, chromatic aberrations and vignetting without Adobe Lens Profile, and with no or minimal lens and camera information.
-Chris

Is that conceptually possible?

no avatar
Gittes

by Gittes » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Vignetting could be corrected without camera information. It could also be incorporated with the blending process instead of individually... or it could extrapulate a vignetting pattern that keeps occurring on source images.

However, yes, for the rest of the correction types like distortions, chromatic aberrations would be easier with some camera info or some other calibration method. But still it could be done with other methods or at least different provider.

I guess I should say I would prefer if the information and corrections could be done without the Adobe Camera Profile tool. Hugin and PTGui does it. I'm just saying the Adobe Camera Profile tool is lacking and would prefer better correction tools/methods.

Like, my current problem... I'm making a BIG panorama of a small object made of many stacks with a 20x microscope objective that I will never be able to make an Adobe Camera Profile for. Even if I could print a checkerboard profile with good enough dpi resolution, the calibration tool won't allow for the width of a checkerboard square smaller than 1 Point (1/72 Inches/360µm). I will never be able to fit the entire test pattern into a 10x or 20x microscope objective with that limitation.

The Adobe Lens Profile tool assumes you also have the camera and a standard lens with you.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:49 am

Gittes wrote:My Autopano 4 Wish list
  • BigTiff Support. Pretty please.

I've raised the priority of this one.

Gittes wrote:
  • Color profile management or awareness and at least copy/honor source image profiles when saving with all render file types (looking at you PSB/PSD)

• If you have a color profile, it should be already kept in 3.6 even in PSD/PSB. If not => bug.

Gittes wrote:
  • Do corrections for distortions, chromatic aberrations and vignetting without Adobe Lens Profile, and with no or minimal lens and camera information

• * distortions => it already exists (parameter k1, k2, k3, offset x/y)
    * chromatic aberrations => this one is complicated
    * vignetting => yes, will be in v4

Gittes wrote:
  • Full automation with scripting with command line tools and/or API, no GUI required. Able to run automation without GUI on headless host/server, and run everything from beginning to end on headless computer/server. Includes installing/uninstalling & license management of software to aid in automation with hosted services. (Like I want to submit my multi terapixel job to a newly erected super beefy hosted server on Amazon AWS that costs a lot per hour, do the rendering, and destroy the server when I'm done and have a small(er) bill. Large terapixel scale stuff or just use an extra computer that's in the closet running Linux for gigapixel stuff. All the same methods.)
  • Want it tomorrow :p

• No command line in APP/APG. This type of feature is reserved for Autopano Server, which is exactly that, a command line version of Autopano. It has extended detection engine, dedicated reporting tools / rendering system. BTW: It already exists.
    Used for example in VFX industry to create HDR environment map for many of the recent blockbusters movies that uses a lot of CG.

no avatar
    Gittes

by Gittes » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:26 pm

This is all pretty good news. Thank you.

I'm glad Vignetting is coming to version 4.

Is is there release date goal for version 4? Is it coming this year, or "when it's ready?" Any other features you can mention or hope to have in version 4? Any other common requests?

I'm also glad that Autopano Server exists. I'm a little worried about price when it says "just contact us," but I will contact and inquire.

There seems to be no documentation or forums on Autopano Server or other related information and downloads... Is there a reason for that?

Thank you again.

-Chris

no avatar
    stfnfhrmnn

by stfnfhrmnn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:20 pm

Hope it's not too late in the development cycle to ask for features.

My single biggest issue with the current version are the masking tools:
    I usually use the masking tools to work on anti-ghosting gone wrong, or when I work on an imperfect (handheld) pano that splits objects in the background in the wrong places. Would be nice to have proper masking tools, that show an area to use/avoid, rather than just individual points.

On that note, I often struggle to select the image to work on, particularly with large areas of overlap. If you could have some selector to cycle through all images that is accessible via keyboard, that would be nice. And make the current selection sticky, so it doesn't change if I accidentally move the mouse outside the image are.

And another related suggestion: Blending options would be good in the masking. This might help with skies (I often hit issues like the one mentioned in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23488). The Multiband blending options could be helpful to be set per image or group of images, rather than overall per project.

Stefan

no avatar
    HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I would love functionality that at the end of the detection phase gives a little report on how well or bad the photos were photographed and what should be done to improve. If for example the viewpoint of each photo is different a suggestion could be given on how many mm to move the camera on the panohead.
    Other advice can also be put in the report, just everything Autopano notices about things it need to do correction on.

no avatar
    foundation

Re: Autopano 4 wishlist

by foundation » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:43 pm

My wishlist:

1. Blender prioritize in focus images over out of focus images (basically use the region that has more high frequency data)
    2. Batch actions for all panos -- render all using one set of settings, save all extended using one folder (%p/%a) etc
    3. Blending level different for areas of high frequency vs. low frequency (e.g. use 0 for blending level for sky and -4 for rocky areas)
    4. Editor use jpeg previews in place of RAW while decoding raw in the background for positioning, projection changes etc.
    5. Have the overlap percentage in the main window (list of panos) and have it use only one image per stack for calculating overlap (i.e. is this set of images a series of the same shot or an hdr image (almost 100% overlap), or is it a pano
    6. option to run in mode where it releases temp space after pano has been detected and auto saved. For large pano detection batches of raw files the TIFFs can take up a TB or more of temp space. or maybe use JPEGs as temp version of RAWs for everything but final render?
    7. and one wild idea -- stiching of 3d panoramas (two cameras eye width apart take every photo)

no avatar
    slipstick

by slipstick » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:49 am

Re-useable masks. Mask-in, and mask-out, applied in a template. If we can't have ptgui-style full masks, at least have re-useable markers, applied in a template.

Also image group templates allowing custom, re-useable viewpoint correction. I need viewpoint correction only, and always, on the nadir. Right now (unless there is some feature I don't know about), I have to enter each group and manually click VPC on the nadir image.

And... pre-set circular crop. My fisheye often gets a different crop image-to-image, which completely messes up the optimization. So I set it manually... but this takes time with many locations.

no avatar
    foundation

by foundation » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:43 am

Another wish:
    the ability to specify a minimum number of images for the detector. You can specify minimum number of images in the browse folder dialog, but that's only for creating image groups. I shoot bracketed images, and it often finds the images of a single stack as a panorama, so I'd like to be able to specify a minimum of 4 images in order to make a panorama. Or you could have an option to not create panos from single stacks. But still might be nice to specify minimum of 3 stacks used to create a pano otherwise ignore it.

no avatar
    HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 pm

A preview that shows exactly what the rendered version will look like, as far as it is in the windows. Current preview sometimes shows errors that are not in final render and vica versa.
    Actually this is something broken in the current version and should be fixed in a 3.x version instead of charging us for it.

no avatar
    foundation

by foundation » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:30 pm

As I am currently saving 58 panos with extended save all as (to a subfolder called "panos" and then using the %p/%a) I wanted to reiterate the request "Batch actions for all panos -- render all using one set of settings, save all extended using one folder (%p/%a) etc".
    I'd really love to be able to say "save all panos in this folder with subfolder named %p/%a"

As it is right now, I click save all extetended as, then each system dialog pops up I paste in the folder path (faster to not take my hands off keyboard to use mouse to select panos subfolder, dialog defaults to image folder), I then hit return 3 times to confirm, wait a couple minutes while it copies then deletes the file (please fix this bug back to use the rename function again) and then do this 57 more times

AlexandreJ
    Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:53 pm

for render all, if you use ctrl (or cmd) + render all, you'll render all without any dialog box : it uses your default settings.

Return to Autopano future