Request for true flat stitching capabilities  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
tomasulo

Request for true flat stitching capabilities

by tomasulo » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:02 am

In the case of stitching together images from scans, or other instances where lens correction is NOT used, I request the addition of a true flat stitching type projection.

Currently, I get around it by setting the focal length to something big, like 1-2000, and use the orth projection. It works well because my images are very abstract. But if I had a lot of straight lines, or text, it would be a nightmare.

It would be great to have a dedicated flat stitch projection. Currently, the other competitors such as PTGUI do not have this either, so it would be a great advantage for APP.

Thanks!

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:57 pm

tomasulo wrote:It would be great to have a dedicated flat stitch projection. Currently, the other competitors such as PTGUI do not have this either, so it would be a great advantage for APP.

Did you try Photoshop?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
tomasulo

by tomasulo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:16 pm

klausesser wrote:
tomasulo wrote:It would be great to have a dedicated flat stitch projection. Currently, the other competitors such as PTGUI do not have this either, so it would be a great advantage for APP.

Did you try Photoshop?

best, Klaus

Try stitching 200 photos together from a 20 x 10 grid in Photoshop and get back to me.
Last edited by tomasulo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 pm

We don't support it directly, I agree.
Nevertheless, one tip does give a good results. With internal editor, change all focals to 2000mm.
With such a focal length, the image represented in rotation model (the one that is coded in autopano) looks like a plane as the sphere is so big that the curve of it doesn't look curved.

It works quite well.

no avatar
tomasulo

by tomasulo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:58 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:We don't support it directly, I agree.
Nevertheless, one tip does give a good results. With internal editor, change all focals to 2000mm.
With such a focal length, the image represented in rotation model (the one that is coded in autopano) looks like a plane as the sphere is so big that the curve of it doesn't look curved.

It works quite well.

Yes, that does work reasonably well I agree. But there are a few quirks, especially when the panorama gets large.

I was just suggesting in an upcoming release to perhaps include a dedicated feature. If you can, it would be great. Thanks!

no avatar
tived

by tived » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm

what's wrong with doing it in Photoshop? are you saying it can't be done or that its too time consuming?

AGP may not give you are perfect result but it will get you close using the extended focal length such as 1000-2000 mm, save it as a layered file and then in Photoshop fine tune it.

If it does take too long, then you probably just need to get a faster computer :-)

Henrik

Return to Autopano future