Render ETA calculation  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
MartinKS

Render ETA calculation

by MartinKS » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:20 pm

I've probably got one of the worst PCs I could hope to render images on, but I don't mind leaving renders running for a few days. What would be useful though is a rough estimate of how long is remaining on a render or detection process.
I realise that it would be a bit of a rough guess, but if it was just a rough number of hours, then it would still be helpful.

A secondary use would be the ability to set the software to do something other than play a sound when it's done... maybe turn off the machine or send an email?

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Write down the number of images and the time it took to render a certain panorama. After a while you have a pretty good guessing table.

A mail or shutdown is indeed a good idea. Many backup programms can do this.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
MartinKS

by MartinKS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:05 am

At the moment I'm using a ruler and measuring the number of mm the bar advances every 2-3 hours, it's at least giving me a clue. To be honest though once you've got a progress bar it's usually pretty trivial in most programming languages to get a duration estimate - probably simpler even than my ruler based maths!

no avatar
MartinKS

by MartinKS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 am

It may also be useful to give the user an option to see more details of the progress through a given stage. It would be good to have more detailed progress automatically revealed for larger tasks, as these are the ones where the motion of the existing progress bar can appear to stall for extended periods of time.

I've got a larger render to the Blending stage, at which point it's slowed to a crawl, moving only mm in 8 hours. I had a look in windows performance monitor for a while and it's now obvious that each temp file is being read and changed in turn, and given that there are so many temp files, and my disk is rubbish it's going to take a while.
If I'd not bothered to open performance monitor though I'd have just quit the process and tried again another day.

no avatar
tived

by tived » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

what specs are your computer and how big is your pano?

Henrik

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 am

if you take the Formular from Hans and do apply your values....
http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87033-2011-08-11-11-53-58#p87033

if your ratio finally is 1:3, 1:4 or even worse .... it may be not worth the waiting...
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
MartinKS

by MartinKS » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Well at the moment I'm trying an image that gives me around a 1:2 ratio:

10Mpix * 4 * 840 Images (total split into 3 brackets) = 33.6GB & I have 16 GB of ram

Unfortunately the RAM, CPU and the disks are old and slow, but just from the ratio it should eventually complete.

Return to Autopano future