Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm 

When I press the optimise button in an editor and alt tab to another and press optimise there, it seems it will not start optimising while the other one is busy. This while the cpu is using only one core and the two panoramas have nothing to do with another.
Please change the programm to allow as many editors to be optimising at the same time as there are cores in the machine

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 am 

Thanks for pointing that out !
Isuue 1594 opened.

Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am 
Administrator

Allow simultaneous optimisations may add some memory issues.
Our goal is to run one optimization on multiple cores instead of running several optimizations.
We already have mutli-threaded code for this part but performances are not satisfying yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:27 pm 

Renan,

Memory as in "you need more memory" or "more memory I/O"

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 pm 

Hans, you always need more memory :-)

looking for 16GB sticks :-)

i think you are better off to send the rendering to another computer(s)

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 pm 

16GB Sticks? i now have 4 sticks totalling to 16 GB. Would 16 GB sticks allow me to have more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am 

4x 16GB for you = 64GB of happiness :-) 12x 16GB would give me 192GB (USD$1800) but atm its only ECC so if your boards does not support ECC, then don't worry about it

the more cores you have the more memory you can feed through the cpu,

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:38 pm 

Hi henrik,

I run a Intel DX58SO motherboard which is limited to 16 GB. A.F.A.I.K. there is no way to place in more memory (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dx58so/sb/CS-029865.htm).

For the moments I still have a number of options* to speed up things, so I am fine.

As long as I buy stuff that I can use later on a new machine there is not to much risk in it. All paart below can be used in a board like the intel dx58og allowing me to go for 48 GB, although it might be better not to make the decision on a new motherboard based on an old one.
-adding an extra PCIE-revodrive to limit the waiting time for the processor (pagefile) and have more space to keep all projects I am working on at SSD instead of having to copy them hence and forth.
-replacing the cheap 128 bit GPU I use by a faster 256 bit version allowing me to speed up the editing

and in the end I could replace the i7 920 by a faster one fom this list (http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.aspx?BoardName=DX58SO&Lang=en-US) but that is not something that is easily taken to a new motherboard in the future.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 pm 

hi Hans,

looking at various suppliers here they don't even list any of the Cpu's for this board/chipset, i don't know if its different in your neck of the woods?

when you need to cross that path of upgrading, you will most likely need to replace mainboard, cpu and your Ram.

I always look at ways to buy with the next build in mind, recently when i got my Areca 1882ix raid controller, i made sure i got the PCIe 3 version, even though i do not have that in mt current board. Them Ram i will be buying will be compatible in the next buid. Unless they bring out DDR4 soon? which is unlikely in the next 12-24 month - due to the shear cost of these systems i expect 5 years service from the main parts, with the odd upgrade here and there.

in your case i would invest in storage - the rest will need replacing next time around :-)

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm 

Indeed, storage is what I need. Not so much terabytes of harddisks but fast SSD space to store the projects that I am working on at a certain moment. Saves a lot of time if I can open them quickly when the client has decided on something. These things are real timesavers, my time that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:16 pm 

correction, I thought I needed a fast SSD because I saw a lot of traffic when CPU was not on 100%. But that was while working in RDP-session which causes the GPu not to be used. When working directly on workstation or using teamviewer, the GPU is used and so is it's 4 GB. yes only during editing but that is where you need the real speed.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 am 

HansKeesom wrote:
Renan,

Memory as in "you need more memory" or "more memory I/O"

Stil would like to hear Renan's answer on this one.

i hope it will be memory on GPU which would mean buying a GPU with more memory would do the trick. my GPU has only 4 GB which is just enough for editing 3 pano's of 48 images. More does work but seems to slow down things a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 pm 
Administrator

I missed this question.
I was meaning RAM memory. A simple way to multi thread an application is to multiply the jobs. But if the job is memory consuming you have to multiply memory. In our cases, most of algorithms can use a lot of memory.
For example, we prefer to project picture per picture with all cores instead of projecting one picture per core. Some users have 16 or 24 threads, so if we use the second approach we will have some troubles.
All algorithms are not multi-threaded yet but it's our goal.

For GPU memory, I don't think you need more than 4GB. We are loading the textures according to screen size. Time is consuming in texture creation (read file, resize data...) where CPU is more solicited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:47 pm 

Hi Renan,

Thank you for your explanation, I absolutely understand that normal RAM is important and becames even more important when doing things in parallel.

At the moment 3901 mb of the 4096 on my GPU is almost constantly in use. GPU is running a bit over 50% and my CPU at 70 %. I dont see any disk i/o in the resource manager. RAM is at 15.3 out of 16 GB. My ram can nmot be increased anymore.
I have no insight in how much data travels between RAM and GPU memory. Do you know a tool that does show me?

I am not sure I am fully convinced about your last statement but maybe that is because I never experienced what it is to have more then 16 GB of RAM or a 384 bit GPU.