feature request: a 'stick to grid position' checkbox for optimizing  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
Ronald Tichelaar

feature request: a 'stick to grid position' checkbox for optimizing

by Ronald Tichelaar » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 pm

Often panos are created on a panohead, manually or automated, so the images are within margins fixed in a grid set by xml or set in the gigapan import-filter. Would it be possible to have a checkbox in the optimizer settings of the CP editor that would stick the images to the grid they were shot at? Together with a slider for setting tolerance or allowed space to move in. Possibly even two slider, one for hard-linked images, one for CP-linked images.
Ronald

Fujifilm S5 Pro, Nikon D300, NodalNinja 3mk2, Sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye HSM,
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX HSM, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX HSM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX HSM

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:50 pm

I had this idea already and check it for validity. It happens that it doesn't work well in practice because of convergence time needed to reach global stabilization during optimization.
So we did use another approach that is 20x faster, but could go off position is some strange case.
Nevertheless, I still like the idea and once I found the solution to make it fast, we'll expose that in the UI.

DrSlony

by DrSlony » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 am

+1

I shoot panos manually, one shot about every 40 degrees, so due to imprecision their position can vary by a few degrees. Would be nice if we could set AP to lock them into a grid and to not move each image by more than x degrees. The usefulness of this would be when there are unlinked images, as is often the case when not using a fisheye lens

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am

DrSlony wrote:+1

I shoot panos manually, one shot about every 40 degrees, so due to imprecision their position can vary by a few degrees. Would be nice if we could set AP to lock them into a grid and to not move each image by more than x degrees. The usefulness of this would be when there are unlinked images, as is often the case when not using a fisheye lens

This sounds like the 'generic' grid/matrix Import wizard I requested ages ago.

At the time Alexandre said it would be easy to implement.

We're still waiting...
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Ronald Tichelaar wrote:Often panos are created on a panohead, manually or automated, so the images are within margins fixed in a grid set by xml or set in the gigapan import-filter. Would it be possible to have a checkbox in the optimizer settings of the CP editor that would stick the images to the grid they were shot at? Together with a slider for setting tolerance or allowed space to move in. Possibly even two slider, one for hard-linked images, one for CP-linked images.

Hi Ronald!

In fact a workaround for such a functionality already exists! In the control point editor use the slider in the upper left part, set it to a value you want to delete links. Then use the button below the slider to delete the links below that value.
When you optimize after that the then un-linked images are not treated by the optimizer.

That´s what Alexandre wrote in the little tutorial he sent me some weeks ago. It works great (once you know about it . . :D:cool:) I linked it here already.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Besides: Josef and i sometimes discussed the kind of pattern which would be optimal. There are two kinds of patterns for spheres:
1) regular
2) non-regular.

1 means the same amout of images in each row.
2 means fewer images in upper and lower rows

1 is easier to design but means much overlap in upper and lower rows - which might be a problem for the stitcher/blender.
2 is more dificult to design but keeps the overlap more or less constant as i understand it.

Some heads write the kind of no. 1
other heads write kind of no. 2

We prefer no. 2.

I learned that PTGui 9. 3. 1 only takes a no. 1 grid.

Using the "new knowledge" which Alexandre provided about the link-thing which i described in the other post i´m convinced that APG´s sometimes "tricky" handling
nevertheless is preferable. You just must know that it exists and how to use it . . ;)

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Return to Autopano future