Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:26 pm 

CheeseAndJamSandwich wrote:
Please be aware that we are talking about creating a simple flash file.

How do you use that simple Flash file?

If you use it just to check your stitching in a spherical 'projection' locally then you could instead view the equirectangular image using the freeware DevalVR Player if running on Windows - just right-click the pano image file in Rendering queue and Open the rendering directory then select and drag-n-drop the file into the DevalVR Player - without the need to do any format conversion:

http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/productos/index.html

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:32 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Klaus,

Hi!

I´m fully aware of that. And i understood what you said from the beginning.
Fact is: it´s not the purpose of a stitcher to make a Flash-file - it would only be possible in a very basic way and that does no help.
That´s why it is wise to seperate both tasks - let the stitcher do it´s job well and delegate it to an GUI like PTP to generate a Flash- or whatever interactive file from it.

You wouldn´t expect a macro-lens to do microscopic pictures would you - you´d better use your camera on a microscope. :cool:

best, Klaus

Klaus, why do you want to keep this totally separate? Just because? There's no technical reason why this functionality can't be included... after all, Autopano used to have the exact functionality i'm requesting.

You're analogy is week... In fact, i can use it... I use a camera to take photos of stuff around us, but if i want to take photos of really small stuff, i can use a macro lens to do a descent job... But if i want to get really good photos of really, really really small stuff, then i change to a microscope, which is the right tool for that job.

This is a feature request sub-forum... Please don't just come in here to shoot down ideas because you don't like them. We all have different needs/uses for APG/PTP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 pm 

mediavets wrote:

How do you use that simple Flash file?

If you use it just to check your stitching in a spherical 'projection' locally then you could instead view the equirectangular image using the freeware DevalVR Player if running on Windows - just right-click the pano image file in Rendering queue and Open the rendering directory then select and drag-n-drop the file into the DevalVR Player - without the need to do any format conversion:

http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/productos/index.html

Panos are a hobby for me at the moment, so yeah, just want to look around, show them to friends, etc. A flat equirectangular image is funky, but being able to look around it as it's designed to be is dead cool... which is why we make these 360° pano :)
Having an embedded flash file is just the simplest solution, by a long way. All you need is a web browser. I think most of us have one of them these days ;) and flash, which almost everyone in the world has apart from iPhone/iPad users...
I can email a flash file to anyone and tell them to just drag-drop it onto a web browser and it just works. Simples.

If i was doing this professionally, and if the client was looking over my shoulder, watching autopano at work, which people are fascinated by in my experience, it would be handy if you could get up the flash asap just to tease the client and impress them... Then you can go off and do the job properly, adding bells and whistles later.

But yeah, i'd just like to be able to create simple flash files with easy like we used to be able to...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm 

Please don't just come in here to shoot down ideas because you don't like them.

That´s stupid, sorry.

I quit this discussion.

Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:32 am 

Klaus, why do you want to keep this totally separate? Just because? There's no technical reason why this functionality can't be included... after all, Autopano used to have the exact functionality i'm requesting.

You're analogy is week... In fact, i can use it... I use a camera to take photos of stuff around us, but if i want to take photos of really small stuff, i can use a macro lens to do a descent job... But if i want to get really good photos of really, really really small stuff, then i change to a microscope, which is the right tool for that job.

This is a feature request sub-forum... Please don't just come in here to shoot down ideas because you don't like them. We all have different needs/uses for APG/PTP.

There are different approaches to software development. I know, because I have been involved with them in some way.

I do know where this "software separation" idea comes from ... the Unix world. It originated in having programs doing simple things, but combined by a command line shell that could pipe them together. I have one command that lists files one per line. I have another command that counts number of lines. I can run both commands and pipe them together to get a count of files. I don't have to write a separate program to count files.

The philosophy is do one thing, or a related group of things, and do that or them well.

Software to do stitching needs different things done than software to do flash authoring. They should be separate programs because that makes it easier to write, easier to test, and easier to debug.

But ... that said ... separate programs does not necessarily mean the user experience has to deal with the boundaries of functionality. These boundaries should be transparent to what the end user does.

If I want my end result image to be in JPEG format, or PNG format, or TIFF format, that should be a simple project choice, right? Is a "basic Flash file" any harder? JPEG, PNG, and TIFF already have options where I might choose things like quality. Flash certainly does, too.

What I am saying here is, if a known program exists on the computer APP or APG is running on, to convert to certain other formats (or import in other ways, or do filtering of the result, etc), why not have the UI for APP/APG understand this and include that in the options of formats or whatever else could be done.

This is not saying that APP/APG should include the ability to make Flash. What I am saying is that the user interface part that controls APP/APG should help the workflow by knowing how to schedule and execute the creation of Flash output product when the means do to that exists. I assume PTP or other programs that make Flash can make simple basic pan/scroll Flash files for an image. So if PTP is also present, let APP/APG's UI fire up PTP to have that done as part of the batch job?

This is actually a modular software facility idea, and is not at all new. The user interface would learn what functions it can do from description files each of the work components that are installed specify. The end user can have installed those components for what they want to do. APP/APG can be a component (package). PTP can be a component. Other future ideas can be components. The UI component can be included with each one so they can run "stand alone". But it would be the same UI that runs based on the joint set of what components are installed. Workspace icons or execute menus can name the components (APG, PTP, etc) and execution tells the UI executable which component panel(s) to start by default. Or the option can be "Kolor Suite" (does that sound nice?) and it runs in a way that brings up the master panel to start. Any choice can still get any components to work. Then what this thing can do depends on what components are installed.

You could also have dummy components to fall back on when the real component is not present that suggest the component to buy and offers to visit the kolor.com web site to "buy it now".

If I were interested in making Flash output, I'd definitely want to be able to simply specify to do that as part of the whole rendering run. Think of stitching has just one part of an overall rendering run. You still have to format the result product into JPEG or PNG or TIFF or whatever else is available. The rendering ... to a final product ... is more than just doing stitching. It is encoding, too. Basic Flash really isn't much more than that. And given that Flash is a very common presentation format, I'd expect a lot of people to want to do that.

So it is, therefore, my suggestion to explore seamless user experience integration across the entire Kolor product line of software products that have anything related to each other. And this does not break the philosophy of doing separate things and doing them well. This is really just a better user interface that can let the user work more smoothly between the separate software.

If we didn't have this kind of philosophy in other programs, then to do things like printing a document you create, you'd have to first save it, then start the program to print a document (because the first one is focusing on creating it), load the file, and click print. Well, we don't have that for most GUI apps ... there's a print button or menu selection or hot key ... in office tools, web browsers, mail clients, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:59 am 
Administrator

Interesting reading ! I like such feedback.

Phil Howard wrote:
So it is, therefore, my suggestion to explore seamless user experience integration across the entire Kolor product line of software products that have anything related to each other. And this does not break the philosophy of doing separate things and doing them well. This is really just a better user interface that can let the user work more smoothly between the separate software.

This is the key point, because we could generate flash only if panotour is present ( because of krpano engine needed for that ).
But if on a computer autopano detects panotour, then, it should be easy to call it through the rendering to convert quickly to a panorama to flash.
I'll put this idea in the pipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:28 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
Interesting reading ! I like such feedback.

Phil Howard wrote:

This is the key point, because we could generate flash only if panotour is present ( because of krpano engine needed for that ).
But if on a computer autopano detects panotour, then, it should be easy to call it through the rendering to convert quickly to a panorama to flash.

That'd be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
it should be easy to call it through the rendering to convert quickly to a panorama to flash.

Hi Alex!

Good idea - but in the end still PTP or KRPano do the Flash-thing and not APG, don´t they . . . :D:cool:

So where´s the problem to start PTP if one wants to make an interactive Flash-file? He´d already have all the options at hand
which he damn surely will ask for next week . . ;):cool:

You know: people want automatics. When they have it automated . . they want the automatics to do all the wonderfull things they´re dreaming of
for years :P:cool: . . .

"Why can´t your app do this, why can´t it do that . . i´d like so much to have it done - in one click, please: i have no time to spend with apps . . " ;)

best to you, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm 

klausesser wrote:
AlexandreJ wrote:
it should be easy to call it through the rendering to convert quickly to a panorama to flash.

Hi Alex!

Good idea - but in the end still PTP or KRPano do the Flash-thing and not APG, don´t they . . . :D:cool:

So where´s the problem to start PTP if one wants to make an interactive Flash-file? He´d already have all the options at hand
which he damn surely will ask for next week . . ;):cool:

You know: people want automatics. When they have it automated . . they want the automatics to do all the wonderfull things they´re dreaming of
for years :P:cool: . . .

"Why can´t your app do this, why can´t it doesn't that . . i´d like so much to have it done - in one click, please: i have no time to speak end with apps . . " ;)

best to you, Klaus

I'm guessing you miss the days of going to the pharmacy to collect your photos to run home to then stick some on the fridge, overlapping, so the create a cool panorama! ;)

It's called progress my dear Klaus. And you're in the sub-forum where lots of the ideas for the progression of APG come from... Via us users.

Oh and what's the first part of the name of this software? :P

Last edited by CheeseAndJamSandwich on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:21 pm 

Oh and what's the first part of the name of this software? :P

You name it: the term "auto" produces demands for funny things . . . :D:cool:

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:35 pm 

funny discussion...:cool:
you're aware that:
apple denies to implement flash
googlemaps did stop support for flash API
that Adobe did stop flash support for mobile devices

so flash is no more a full supported technology.
instead of investing time for new flash features
javascript player, mobile devices, map apis for computers and mobile devices etc would be wiser...

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:04 am 

gkaefer wrote:
you're aware that:

javascript player, mobile devices, map apis for computers and mobile devices etc would be wiser...

Georg

Say "Java" instead "Flash". Same problem in the end . . :D

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:49 am 

gkaefer wrote:
you're aware that:

Georg

I think we're ok with flash for a while longer...
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplatformruntimes/statistics.html !

All i want is a standalone file that can be played on any computer, without installing anything... I really don't mind what format it is... I'd just like a simple way of creating that basic version of the file.
But Flash does that now, and will for a while longer i guess... On mobiles, only the apple sheep have no way of seeing flash files ;)