Can I upgrade to the Mac version - Still don't know  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
jayelwin

Can I upgrade to the Mac version - Still don't know

by jayelwin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Hello,

If I buy version 1.1 now to run on Virtual PC will it cost me anything to get the Mac version when 1.2 comes out.

Thank you.

no avatar
Jeefus

by Jeefus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Unless you're desperate for it today, given that Alexandre has previously given the release date for a Mac version as likely to be "the first week in February", you might consider just waiting a few days... ;-)

I'm waiting for a Mac version with baited breath too, so I sympathise completely!

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:24 pm

I also hope to get the first beta for mac for end of next week. BTW : what are your Mac OS version ? Let's make a pool here !

no avatar
Jeefus

by Jeefus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:08 pm

Main work machine (and the machine I'd be looking to use Autopano Pro on) is OS X 10.4.4 on PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7 ghz,

But I have access to 10.4.4 on a Powerbook G4 1.3 ghz, 10.4.4 rev A iMac G5 and intel iMac elsewhere if useful for testing purposes.

no avatar
jayelwin

by jayelwin » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:09 pm

I am running 10.4.4 on a dual 2.5ghz g5. My wife has 10.4.4 on an older 800mhz G4 and I can also try it on a 1ghz G4 powerbook.

Are you using Cocoa which will allow you to compile it as a universal binary?

Waiting with baited breath. My Canon 5D is on it's way - I figure Virtual PC would choke on those big files.

phototrek

by phototrek » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:51 am

I am in the same boat; I am tempted to get the PC version for VirtPC, but if the Mac version really comes as soon as promised, I'm willing to wait. I am running 10.4.4 on a dual 2.7 and on a Quad 2.5. Also have a 15" Powerbook 1.67, but would probably not use Autopano on it.

I have panos shot with the D60, 1Ds, and 1Ds2 that I am dying to put together. I secretly hope that there's support for multiple processors, but will live even without it =)
iMac 27"
Canon Equipment

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:56 am

If everything goes good, a beta mac version is planned for end of next week.

no avatar
jayelwin

by jayelwin » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:40 pm

<<I secretly hope that there's support for multiple processors>>

if it is written in Xcode using cocoa then that will be automatic. A well behaved program uses both (or all 4) processors. And as a bonus it can be compiled as a universal binary for the new Mactels.

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Autopano Pro rendering engine and user interface has the ability to use multiple processors.

For the moment that's not really enabled in the rendering engine, there is room for improvement :)
François Simond

phototrek

by phototrek » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:19 pm

jayelwin wrote:<<I secretly hope that there's support for multiple processors>>

if it is written in Xcode using cocoa then that will be automatic. A well behaved program uses both (or all 4) processors. And as a bonus it can be compiled as a universal binary for the new Mactels.

Dude, I am happy to see your enthusiasm, and just like you I am a big fan of Cocoa, but Cocoa and Xcode alone by far won't give you automatic multithreading. I've worked with (and on) Cocoa since its conception in NeXTSTEP and what you are talking about is just a dream - which is why I was explicitly asking about it.
Last edited by phototrek on Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27"
Canon Equipment

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:59 am

About multi processor support :
- many part of the software are multithreaded : for example SIFT detection is done in a thread and rendering in another thread.
- by setting 2 processors in the folder analysis you can use 2 threads in parallele to compute 2 detections.
There's one part which is not trully multithreaded yet, it's the final render. A final render is in one thread. So it will use at maximum 1 cpu 100%. But if you have 2 cpus, you can launch two final render : the second rendering will use the second processor. What I still need to do, is to multithread the final render, so it can use the maximum power available for doing just one render.

no avatar
jayelwin

by jayelwin » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:18 pm

Sorry about that. What I guess I meant is that the OS takes care of dividing threads among the processors. Yes you still need to program as multithreaded and that is far from automatic.

I would love to use the version you have. Renders will take longer, yes, but then we can look forward to how much faster they will be when they are multithreaded.

no avatar
photooo

by photooo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Alexandre,
if your are looking for some beta tester on Mac, I will be more than happy to help you.
I've got a Powerbook 1,67, 1 G, 15".
Best,
Sébastien

phototrek

by phototrek » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:53 pm

That's great news, Alexandre. There are very few apps out there that really take advantage of a quad machine like mine, it's good to hear that you are on the right path!
iMac 27"
Canon Equipment

Return to Autopano future