Renderfarm  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Beetwo77,

I like what you say about the engineering software. Instead of using local pc´s that idea can also be used on a group of VM´s but that does not change much of the idea.

I don´t see kolor implementing the ideas we have here anytime soon. So for the moment I will do things the way I do them at the moment.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:07 pm

At the moment I am using VM's to speed up the editing process. Rendering is done on the local machine. Dropbox is used to sync the .pano files, but not the .psd files. Achtually this is working great already.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:48 pm

It looks like I'm a little late to the party on this topic, but I'd like to pipe in that we could see a LOT of reason for the render farm option. There is already one setup that a 3D graphics team is actively using. If we could connec to it over the network and send our edited panos there for the final render part of the process, I could see that being a great advantage! We have a backlog of several hundred panos and are struggling to keep up. We are purchasing more software and more computers, but being able to use a render farm could really help out our processing times!

That's my two cents :)

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Jeremiah,

Where is the bottleneck in your situation? Is it the editing or is it in the rendering?
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Both. The editing is hands on of course and needs a person working the machine, the rendering ties up the computer from being able to edit for two to three hours per pano.

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 pm

If we could dedicate the machines to edititing and then send them out to the render farm for the final render, that would conceivably make a big difference in total processing time

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:07 pm

An update :

By now I have a new machine with an i7-3930 and 64 GB. It is a editing monster. It can do rendering also of course and rather fast as it has the fastest SSD onboard that I own. This SSD is synced with a slower SSD on the old 16 GB i7-920 machine. When things are really busy I let the old machine do the rendering so I can continue editing on the new machine.

But APG being as it is, often I start the rendering on the new machine just before I go to bed and find things ready the next morning. My panoramas are not gigapixel so that will make a difference too.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:38 am

huh, that's pretty slick! not quite a render farm, but maybe a render stall! :) how did you get the one machine to sync to the other and then to run them both through the same program? how's that work? and definitely yes on the night time processing! seems that's when we get our best work done..... when we are away from the office and the computers can chug along without us pestering them :)

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:21 pm

So many sync programms, I use syncback (http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html) but that seems limited in deleting files that have been removed at one location.

Yes while behind computer do editing and when away for a few hours (of sleep) let the rendering be done, by one or two computers
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:28 pm

huh, very nice! while Kolor is mulling over the render farm idea, this might be a nice stop gap for those of us with too many very slow computers :) thanks!

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 pm

if APG could just watch a folder and auto-start rendering when a pano file is saved into it.....
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:10 am

Then you'd have a render farm!

Previous

Return to Autopano future