interpolate missing sky images  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
no avatar
mcapellari

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

interpolate missing sky images

by mcapellari » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:08 pm

hi there,

wouldn't it be fine if autopano could interpolate missing images (ie sky or similar plain areas) of course this could also be done in photoshop, but i think the workflow would be easier if i could mark such an area in the preview-image of autopano and render it instead of rendering the full-size image in photoshop and make the corrections there ...

//edit: technically it's more a simple drawing/colour-filing function than interpolation ...

sincerely

manuel
Last edited by mcapellari on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:14 pm

mcapellari wrote:hi there,

wouldn't it be fine if autopano could interpolate missing images (ie sky or similar plain areas) of course this could also be done in photoshop, but i think the workflow would be easier if i could mark such an area in the preview-image of autopano and render it instead of rendering the full-size image in photoshop and make the corrections there ...

sincerely

manuel

If you are shooting/stitching a regular matrix/grid of images using a click-stop pano head then you will in future be able to use a promised Generic Import wizard - modelled on the Gigapan Import wizard - that will assist with the placement of 'featureless' images that would otherwise be left out of the stitch and remain 'orphaned'.
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:22 pm

mediavets wrote:If you are shooting/stitching a regular matrix/grid of images using a click-stop pano head . . .

Yes. But you need a VERY precise head - vert. and hor. clickstops.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:29 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:If you are shooting/stitching a regular matrix/grid of images using a click-stop pano head . . .

Yes. But you need a VERY precise head - vert. and hor. clickstops.

best, Klaus

Why do you think that? I'm not talking about shooting gigapixel panos with very long focal length lenses here; a robotic pano head will always be preferred for that sort of pano shooting, if only for ease of operation.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:30 pm

mcapellari wrote:hi there,

//edit: technically it's more a simple drawing/colour-filing function than interpolation ...

sincerely

manuel

What camera, lens and pano head are you using?

Are you shooting spherical panos (360x180 pano FOV) or partial panos (less than 360x180 pano FOV)?
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mcapellari

Topic author
Info

by mcapellari » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:46 pm

>What camera, lesn and pano head are you using?

cam. nikon d700
lens nikon AF 50 1,8 / nikon 24-70 2,8

at the moment i do most of my pano shoots by hand without tripod - the reason for this is because i shoot it during mountain tours - i don't want to carry my whole photographic equipment on the top of a mountain

of course i do know that a little more professional setup would increase my results dramatically but when i make a mountain tour want to save as much weight as possible

please note that i'm just an advanced hobbyist no professional :-)
Last edited by mcapellari on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:19 pm

mcapellari wrote:at the moment i do most of my pano shoots by hand without tripod

OK. Then my suggested solution - the upcoming Generic Import wizard - won't work.

If you don't like fixing the stitched pano then I think the best you can do is to force all the images into the pano and then move the unlinked images into place manually and set manual CPs or hard links.

Typically how many images are there in one of your panos, and how many of those typically fail to be linked - I'm trying to get an idea of the scale of the problem. It may be that fixing the stitched image in PhotoShop is the best solution.
Shooting with a fisheye lens would avoid the problem but perhaps wouldn't provide the resolution you seek?
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm

That's something that is quite ready in the code : a check box in the rendering dialog box : complete the missing gap :)
We will enable it for v2.6.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:24 pm

How about a checkbox for "complete the gap where I missed a shot"? :)

no avatar
Ronald

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by Ronald » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Do you have an approach about when the version 2.6 would be available????

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:That's something that is quite ready in the code : a check box in the rendering dialog box : complete the missing gap :)

So more precisely what will this feature enable us to do?
Andrew Stephens

John_Sauter

Info

by John_Sauter » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:35 pm

mediavets wrote:
AlexandreJ wrote:That's something that is quite ready in the code : a check box in the rendering dialog box : complete the missing gap :)

So more precisely what will this feature enable us to do?

I suspect AlexandreJ is teasing us, but just in case he isn't, here is my suggestion for implementing this feature. Consider the rendered picture as a maxtix of pixels, some present and some missing. From each missing pixel, find the nearest non-missing pixel above, below, to the left and to the right. In some cases there will be no such non-missing pixel; that is OK unless all four are missing. If there are no non-missing pixels above, below, to the left or to the right of a missing pixel, you are working on an image with no non-missing pixels at all. Exit the algorithm with an error message.

Assuming you have at least one nearby non-missing pixel, compute the average value for red, green and blue, weighting the pixels by the reciprocal of their distance; thus closer pixels have more weight. The result is the value for the missing pixel.

For a missing small patch of sky this algorithm produces a nice-looking smooth transition between edges.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:10 pm

John_Sauter wrote:Assuming you have at least one nearby non-missing pixel, compute the average value for red, green and blue, weighting the pixels by the reciprocal of their distance; thus closer pixels have more weight. The result is the value for the missing pixel.

:rolleyes: For this to work next to the zenith and nadir, the nearby pixels should be defined using "angular distance" on the sphere. It could be useful to avoid zenith star effect (I didn't test that for 2.5 release yet) and perhaps for missing nadir (but it should not work when panohead or tripod are visible.)

Too difficult?
Georges

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:59 pm

Photoshop has something similar--content aware scaling and content aware fill. So Alexandre may not be teasing us. We'll have to wait and see.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:18 pm

It works quite well for skies but it won't work well for ground. We cannot use the same algorithm as Photoshop because many part of the content aware fill is patented now :(

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:many part of the content aware fill is patented now :(

As said (multiplicity of) patent(s) is(are) not valid in European countries, an Europe-only patching plugin would be rather :cool: !
Last edited by GURL on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

John_Sauter

Info

by John_Sauter » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:57 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:It works quite well for skies but it won't work well for ground. We cannot use the same algorithm as Photoshop because many part of the content aware fill is patented now :(

The algorithm I described above is "obvious to someone skilled in the art" and so any patent claims which include it would be thrown out in court, even in the United States.

Often a company will try to prevent competition by claiming that they have patented everything their products do, without revealing the patent numbers or any details about their claims. Doing this is a misuse of the patent system, and should be resisted. Real patents cannot cover inventions already covered by expired patents, or any obvious extensions of them. Also, real patents expire. If Adobe does not reveal the numbers of their patents which cover content-aware fill, you should ignore their claims, even for products sold in the United States.