Autopano 1.2 Planned Features  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Autopano 1.2 Planned Features

by AlexandreJ » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:05 pm

Okay, 1.1 is out with many feature that were asked in this forum.
So, let's go with the 1.2 version. Use this thread to add your wishes or to modify the priorities.

What is already planned for 1.2 :
- fisheyes support
- major improvement of the optimization stage
- mac os, linux and XP 64 bits version

Planned for 1.3 :
- alpha channel support in input files
- hdr file reading in input
- openExr support
- anti ghost blender

no avatar
timpdx

by timpdx » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 pm

orthographic projection, SVP

no avatar
ericob

by ericob » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:34 am

Since I mainly work on a Macintosh, I definitely need to a version working on the Mac working before I buy this lovely piece of software!

And I'm dying to see how well fisheye (at least full frame fisheye) support works. Although you should keep the current functionality -- whatEVER is happening -- as an "artistic" rending option! :)

I just tried rendering a 6-around, one up and two down series (from a full frame fisheye) in version 1.1 and it produces a quite delightfully wacky result!

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:40 pm

I think that the addition of the anti ghost blender will be such an addition .. that it merits a jump to 2.0 :D
François Simond

no avatar
ben

by ben » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:06 pm

Nice work for version 1.1!

For version 1.2 I would suggest a better way of "straightening" images. The current vertical tool is a bit of a hack and not very easy to use to fix horizontal lines.

It would be nice to have a dedicated button for this in 'edit' mode. We could then select 3 or 4 points on the panorama that need to be horizontol and press 'enter'.

Apart from that the features for 1.2 and 1.3 look right.

Thanks for adding an 'undo' button!

no avatar
Al

by Al » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:25 pm

It would be great to be able to force a particular image to the top. For example, if I should a set of pcitures of a field with cows in it, and one cow moves across two images, it would be great to be able to "force" autopan to ignore the info in one of the images. Maybe I could accomplish this with the lasso tool in photoshop and eliminate one calf beforehand? Smartblend, while its color blending and general bledning tech isn't close, it does a nice job at times handling panoramas that have a small segment that moved from one farme to the next.

fma38

by fma38 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:08 am

The "cowboy" tool will be added in v1.2, under the cute name of "anti ghost blender" ;)
Frédéric

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:40 am

Héhé Frédéric :)

Al wrote:with cows in it [..] Maybe I could accomplish this with the lasso tool

That makes sense :D

Al : Smartblend Is an "anti ghost blender".

Applications of an intelligent blend will be suprising, coz it allows much more than "a better panoramic blend".
François Simond

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:35 am

"alpha channel support in input files" will also allow to remove a part of a image file in blending part.

no avatar
Florent

by Florent » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:22 am

Support for 360° Panos :
- adjsut color from left edge to right edge and not only from images in the field
- cut pano to match only 360° view, so no more overlay from left edge to right edge.

More Online Help : I don't konw how to manage Lacet / Tagage / Roulis and Keys placement.

no avatar
Florent

by Florent » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:23 am

ben wrote:It would be nice to have a dedicated button for this in 'edit' mode. We could then select 3 or 4 points on the panorama that need to be horizontol and press 'enter'.

Great idea !

francois.simond

by francois.simond » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:29 am

Hello Florent and Welcome !
About 360° panos :
- Color correction is already optimized between all images, following the colors that you set with anchors.
- 360° panos are already detected as full 360. When it's the case, you can change the center point of view to left or right : this will scroll the stitched projection according the center you just set :)

Online help is on the way and will be available as a multilanguage wiki very soon.
Last edited by francois.simond on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
François Simond

no avatar
GURL

by GURL » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:43 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:"alpha channel support in input files" will also allow to remove a part of a image file in blending part.

Did you saw that : http://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/photomontage/photomontage.pdf ?

Keywords: Interactive image editing, image compositing, userguided optimization. This go beyond panorama stitching but looks like the first serious tool against the "moving parts problem" in panoramas...
Georges

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:48 pm

I already studied a lot this paper some months ago. And my anti-ghost blender is partially based on the same idea (with some enhancement of course).

no avatar
GURL

by GURL » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:10 pm

Though I found quite amusing University of Washington and Microsoft being involved in photomontage and though my preferred quote is:
Authors of ACM SIGGRAPH paper wrote:Our system has been shown to be applicable to a wide range of photomontage applications: however, we strongly suspect that there are many more. In the process of conducting this research we have discovered that a surprising array of beautiful, useful, and unexpected images can arise from an image stack.

...I strongly suspect your intention of using those ideas in future improvements will give beautiful and unexpectedly useful results !
Georges

no avatar
Michael Ezra

by Michael Ezra » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:57 pm

Alexandre,

Any expected release date for version 1.2?
Thanks,

Michael Ezra

no avatar
refsvik

by refsvik » Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:15 am

AlexandreJ wrote:Okay, 1.1 is out with many feature that were asked in this forum.
So, let's go with the 1.2 version. Use this thread to add your wishes or to modify the priorities.

What is already planned for 1.2 :
- fisheyes support
- major improvement of the optimization stage
- mac os, linux and XP 64 bits version

Planned for 1.3 :
- alpha channel support in input files
- hdr file reading in input
- openExr support
- anti ghost blender

Splendid. Can hardly wait for the Mac version. Any idea on when that happens??

Have the raw material for 550 cubic panoramas and 100+ barrel panos laying around that I would love to feet Autopano with and see what happens :-)

My request for features would be:

-XGrid support
-Support for RAW files

Sincerely,

Kjell Are Refsvik

no avatar
hiasl

by hiasl » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:40 pm

timpdx wrote:orthographic projection, SVP

I agree..very important feature.

no avatar
hankkarl

by hankkarl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 pm

I'd like the ability to move and rotate one or more photos (sometimes Autopano gets it wrong) and then have the panorama re-optimized.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:29 am

Okay, let's face it, I'm currently working on 1.2 version which will contains more stuff that I initially planned. So it takes more times.
=> Main new features for 1.2 : fisheyes and orthographic projection (perhaps affine projection if I have some time left)
=> Optimisation editor, you'll get the ability to remove a picture in a stitch panorama and reoptimize it. You will have access to the quality of stitch through rms, a clone of average control points distance, even if it's calculated fairly differently from panotools. (perhaps something like a control point checker / editor).

This should be version 1.2 ... for around end of next week.

BTW : mac version. It's working good, but as I added many many bug with my revamp of the optimizer engine for fisheyes / orthographic integration, it's far behind the stability of 1.1 ... It's better to wait the 1.2 engine before using the mac version. But If some people are asking me through support @ autopano.net, I'll give them access to the mac beta version ( but it's really really buggy ... not because of mac, but because of the new engine ).

no avatar
ben

by ben » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:31 pm

Looking forward to 1.2!
Thanks it is looking good.

no avatar
GURL

by GURL » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:06 am

Florent wrote:
ben wrote:It would be nice to have a dedicated button for this in 'edit' mode. We could then select 3 or 4 points on the panorama that need to be horizontol and press 'enter'.

Great idea !

Terminology

Though "3 or 4 points on the panorama that need to be horizontal" have no mathematical meaning, we all understand what Ben said: he wants those point being on a straight line and he wants this straight line being parallel to the horizon.

Chances are this useful feature (useful when using planar=rectilinear projection) will be named horizontal line in the user interface and in the documentation...

... so that we will have to explain to untrained users that there is no horizontal line in the above image.
Beware! vertical is a well defined direction but "horizontal" corresponds to many different directions.
Last edited by GURL on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georges

Return to Autopano future