Network Rendering  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Pro / Giga is very community driven.
machart

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Network Rendering

by machart » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:11 am

my 5 cent to this issue:

as the render-client seems to be a seperate part of APP - why not the option to start a client on another machine via network - just for the renderjob........
::: close to the rainbow :::
D300S, 18-200mm, 10,5mm, NN3, iMac i7
http://panographie.net

no avatar
ssprengel

Info

by ssprengel » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:41 am

It would be nice to have the interactive-pano-editing computer be different than the batch-render-process computer, but how would you partition the I/O between this render-server and the original computer?

Would you transport the original image and .pano-snapshot files over to it and let it go, so it would have the panotemp directory and all the data, and perhaps copy the finished render back to your computer?

Or would you only use the CPU and memory on the render server and use some sort of continuous private I/O stream back to the files on the computer that started the render and only use the CPU and memory on render server? I/O might be a bottleneck since I don't think the operations are particularly stream oriented (like they might be for a video frame server).

Or perhaps leave the original image files on the starting computer, but have the PanoTemp over on the render server? This would be good for the SmartBlend step where it would be locking up a different computer, but I'm not sure about the cellular blending steps, how much original file I/O would occur...maybe none.

You could probably simulate this last case pretty well, right now, if you can use UNC paths in the .pano file and then remote desktop over to the rendering computer and add jobs by directly opening .pano files (across the network to the originating computer) in the batch-renderer, but have the panotemp directory set to a local drive on the render computer so it would do all it's work over there, and then if you have it writing the output to a UNC path on your original computer the complete panos would end up back where they started. I only ahve one computer at home so can't really try this, but it might work, if UNC paths are able to be used.
Last edited by ssprengel on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:08 am

Hmm all this network rendering magic was discussed before and it certainly is in the list for a future version, maybe 2.0, who knows...

http://forum.autopano.net/t550-distributed-processing
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:11 pm

ssprengel wrote:You could probably simulate this last case pretty well, right now, if you can use UNC paths in the .pano file and then remote desktop over to the rendering computer and add jobs by directly opening .pano files (across the network to the originating computer) in the batch-renderer, but have the panotemp directory set to a local drive on the render computer so it would do all it's work over there, and then if you have it writing the output to a UNC path on your original computer the complete panos would end up back where they started. I only ahve one computer at home so can't really try this, but it might work, if UNC paths are able to be used.

I have a server, and a few workstation computers (mine, the kids, my wife's) and could easily do this by placing the pano directory on the server, setting temp files on each local machine, and remote loging in. However, I think the APP license allows use on only one machine (and a laptop?)
Is there an exception for the rendering engine, and how would I install it?