Apply sharpening  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it.
no avatar
Skaven252

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Apply sharpening

by Skaven252 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Some cameras, like the Samsung Gear360 and the PixPro SP360 4k could benefit from a bit of digital sharpening (without it the image looks a bit muddy).

Would a sharpening feature (simple sharpen, or Unsharp Mask) in AVP be feasible?

Sharpening would be good to apply after the projetion / stitching, but before rendering and encoding, as low contrast details tend to end up lost in the encoding.

no avatar
Skaven252

Topic author
Info

Re: Apply sharpening

by Skaven252 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:34 am

Or, if the sharpening wasn't simple, it could be smart and take into account the lens aberration (deconvolution) and also how much the pixels are stretched by the projection.
Last edited by Skaven252 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am

Hi.. Sharpening might be possible using Final Cut Pro.. Or other video editing software with filters.. But in my view, the Samsung Gear360 is not really the best option.. But there again, what is.. Unless you spend heaps of money a Samsung Gear360 might be an affordable option with limitations..

I am hanging out for the Key Mission V2.. I held one in my hands the other week.. Really very nice.. A lot heavier than i thought and smaller.. Very nice little camera, very well designed.. I really want one but not with the current output quality.. The Samsung Gear360 might come out with a V2 too..

Destiny..

no avatar
Skaven252

Topic author
Info

by Skaven252 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 am

Sharpening might be possible using Final Cut Pro.. Or other video editing software with filters..

Yes, that's what I've been doing. It's a disk space and time consuming step to render the videos to huge intermediate Cineform files for further editing. I use Vegas Pro, but it's possible that Premiere and/or After Effects work better for the purpose. Unfortunately, I do not subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud.

The idea was that since AutoPano knows the lens types and does the lens correction and projection, it could apply sharpening more smartly, and do it before encoding the video to an intermediate file, to obtain better quality.

no avatar
Skaven252

Topic author
Info

by Skaven252 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:21 am

The Samsung Gear360 might come out with a V2 too..

They have. Improved video quality, reduced photo quality. New form factor. The lenses are closer together, so there is less parallax error for stitching.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-360/

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:02 am

Wow, I never knew.. I wonder how big the nadir footprint is.. Its all good really if you think about it.. Mobs like Samsung are continuing to develop affordable 360 video options.. Its does say "..video and images will be crisp, clean and high-quality....".. I take it this this is not the case.. No demos to test.. No price either.. All that info and no pice or order option.

I can only hope that Nikon will be doing the same ver soon.. Not that i can afford to buy one.. I am saving up to buy the Osmo, nothing to do with 360 but still video.. I would like to see a 360 option with the same quality as the X5 camera..

Destiny....

Skaven252 wrote:
The Samsung Gear360 might come out with a V2 too..

They have. Improved video quality, reduced photo quality. New form factor. The lenses are closer together, so there is less parallax error for stitching.

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gear-360/