AVP Wishlist - Findings From Extended Use  

Got some great idea or a feature request? Post it here and discuss it. The most requested concepts are usually implemented, as Autopano Video is very community driven.
jasonfletcher

AVP Wishlist - Findings From Extended Use

by jasonfletcher » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 pm

I want to congratulate the whole Kolor team on their amazing and wonderful work on Autopano Video. What you have accomplished is a refined work of art.

I have a few feature requests which I have been writing down as they come to me. Recently I've been working in AVP quite a bit for a NASA engineering planetarium show. We recieved permission to visit NASA Goddard and shoot many of the spaces in the Integrated Test Facility. We used the H3PRO10HD to create 4k fisheye at 30fps.

Feature Requests
=================
I'm running into version control issues due to the AP/AVP interaction. While polishing a scene, I often save multiple versions of an AVP scene. (dolly-shot-v001.kava, dolly-shot-v002.kava, dolly-shot-v003.kava...) But since they all link to the same C000000.pano file, I can't perform tests without making edits that I cannot undo. This is a problem in a production workflow with 4k resolution.

Upon doing MP4 renders and then comparing specific frames against the AVP timeline, it is very difficult to compare the MP4 timecode to the AVP timecode. This is because AVP isn't actually cropping to the render region. Therefore the beginning of the render region isn't starting at 00:00:00. This is causing me many headaches.

Several times I've accidentally clicked "Stitch as GoPro". Can the placement of this button be moved to the top of the window? Having your .pano file overwritten after lots of hard work is REALLY quite frustrating.

Upon saving and closing a AVP scene, the render region timeline zoom isn't being saved. So the zoom gets reset each time AVP is opened. This isn't a critical fix, but considering the render region is the zone of interest it would be helpful.

Its a tedious and difficult process to synchronize all of the footage, that is to be expected. After the automatic motion sync, I always do a manual check too. So there are a small feature which could ease the pain of this process. I'm often rendering an MP4 with a timeline region similar to the "show a sample" button and then watching the MP4 at the true FPS. So I’m manually rendering several sync tests but each render has slightly different Nearest Frame selection. But it would be so helpful if there was a custom render button in the synchronize window that didn't force me to alter my render region. Can a button be added which renders the Synchronize Preview to an MP4 and also exports a TXT with the video filenames and their Nearest Frame selection. Subsequent renders wouldn't overwrite each other but instead iterate version numbers. This would allow me to do several test renders, store the Nearest Frame values to TXT, then I can watch all of the MP4 renders, choose a favorite, and then open the TXT to see what Nearest Frame values to input into AVP as my final selection. But I understand that this workflow might confuse many users...

On a similar note, I find that the Synchronize Preview isn't long enough of a automatic timeline selection. I often find myself wanting a few more seconds.

When selecting an output folder for a frame render for the first time, it would be helpful if it would auto-point to where the current project is saved. Sometimes this resets and pointing to a deeply nested folder is frustrating.

A viewable and editable batch render queue. I know you have this in the works, but its a pretty vital tool.

In Autopano Giga, I’ll select an fisheye FOV of 220 and move to a different tool. But then I re-open the fisheye FOV, it now says 219 and yet the resolution hasn't been adjusted. So if I type in 219 FOV, then the re-open the fisheye FOV, then the resolution has changed. So it seems there is a bit of FOV rounding after the input, but its not necessarily causing problems, but does make things confusing.
Jason Fletcher
Science Visualizer
Charles Hayden Planetarium
http://www.thefulldomeblog.com

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Re: AVP Wishlist - Findings From Extended Use

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:28 pm

That's a really really good feedback. I'll analyse that and put everything in our todo list.
Thanks.

jasonfletcher

Re: AVP Wishlist - Findings From Extended Use

by jasonfletcher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:27 pm

I’m happy to hear that my thoughts are helpful! Thanks for reading.

Another thing I forgot to mention. In the synchronize window, adjusting the Nearest Frame parameters is very difficult since there is no visual aid as to how the footage filenames correspond to the realtime preview. (Currently I have a physical hack around this: open up the .pano, write down the filenames on post-it notes, then stick the post-it notes directly on the computer monitor to where they correspond in the AVP realtime preview.)

So I had an idea of how to simplify the process of manually optimizing the footage synchronization (after the automatic motion analysis). Instead of needing to render out lots of different MP4 renders to test various sync attributes, could there be a window dedicated to testing, previewing, and choosing the optimal Nearest Frame selection? The idea came to me when using the After Effects ‘Brainstorm’ window.

Perhaps using that idea as inspiration to create a grid of previews. Which would then automatically render each of the previews and then play/loop at the same time. Allowing you to select one as your final choice. See a quick mock-up below.
http://i.imgur.com/FqwbyrJ.jpg

The reason I’m particular about the synchronize workflow is because having a precise frame sync is very important when the final output is for a planetarium dome or high rez display. We actually see the full resolution on our 4k dome, so an immersive environment really utilizes the power of 360 video. So even after the automatic motion sync there is always a need to manually adjust a few videos, often by just one frame.
Jason Fletcher
Science Visualizer
Charles Hayden Planetarium
http://www.thefulldomeblog.com

Return to Autopano Video future