Stabilizing? Does the opposite...  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Video bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
thouchugz

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Stabilizing? Does the opposite...

by thouchugz » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 am

Hello,

I have been playing with the stabilization feature and it does something odd. I filmed a video with 6 go pros on a mono pole. The stitching went well, no errors, fluid, but because I am human, the pole shakes a bit. So when I run it through the stabilization software, a few camera angles look like they are in an earthquake while other camera angles are perfectly stitched with no shake. Why is there a discrepancy between the different camera angles?

Thank you :D

ClaireM

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

Re: Stabilizing? Does the opposite...

by ClaireM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi,

Indeed, we are aware of this problem... This is not really a bug, since mathematically the stabilisation algorithm works as it is supposed to do, but the visual result is bad. Shortly, your motions are composed of high frequencies ("shaking") however, the sync between your cameras is not perfect (since the sync is not done in the hardware). Thus the motions between each camera are not the same (since high frequency and dis-synchronization), the algorithms then fails to isolate the global motion of the rig and only stabilises one camera of the rig, which leads to the result described above.

Hope I made it clearer to you,

Best,

Claire

no avatar
thouchugz

Topic author
Info

by thouchugz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:20 am

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your speedy reply! Is there anything I can do to remedy the footage? Should I change my sync time? Use audio to sync the cameras instead of motion? Will that help the software's algorithms to unify the global motion/position of the rig in relation to the cameras?

no avatar
mandivision

Info

by mandivision » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:43 pm

It seems it would make more sense to run stabilization prior to stitching the footage if this is the case?

Is that a possibility with Autopano?

no avatar
Kash

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by Kash » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello, I do have the same issue.

My video are shaking even if after a tight sync.

How can improve my sync or remove the shaking effect using external soft?

Thanks.

ClaireM

Info

by ClaireM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:40 pm

Hi Kash & mandivision,

So first, you cannot get a perfect sync unless it is done in the hardware were cameras are really genlocked together. Indeed delays between frames aren't always an exact number of frames. If there id 0.5 frames difference between 2 cameras, you would not be able to correct it properly.

The problem of stabilizing videos prior to stitch is that is will likely crop parts of your input videos resulting in difficulties (or even impossiblity) to stitch them together because you will have non-existing or too narrow overlapping regions.

Best,

Claire

no avatar
Kash

Info

by Kash » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Claire

There is something weird with the stab anyway. Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7BFWHQP4Mw

This has been recorded on a fix holder, it should not move so far.

BTW how do you use the stab tool? What does the calculation does? I have done it but see no change.

Thank you.

StéphaneG
Kolor Team

Info

by StéphaneG » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Kash,

For static scene, we recommend not to apply the stabilization. Can you please try and give us feedback ?

Stéphane

no avatar
Kash

Info

by Kash » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Stéphane,

I have done multiple try with the stab tool, but i'm not sure of using it well because, there is the last render I have done with the stab toggle to 0. https://youtu.be/pwAMnFU5miQ

Thanks

panoguy

Info

by panoguy » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Kolor Team,
this is not really acceptable, what ever was changed,
this worked in prior version and even it was not perked it was usable.
The current output is not usable at all.
In the editor window all looks great and after rendering the scene, you get the surprise of a totally shaky video!
Please get this fixed again.
Thank you

no avatar
jesusrg

Info

by jesusrg » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:46 pm

Go back to Autopano 2.2.2, i have the same issue since 2.3 and no one listen, also you have to render in uncompressed format if you want to do pospro, for smooth playback and no droping frames, beware that you get 200GB files for 1,5min or so at 4k x 4k.
My workflow, sync, stitch, stabilze in autopano 2.3.2, then open the kava in autopano 2.2.2 and render.
Autopano 2.3.2 render module and stabilize module are broken. I render static tripod shot with no stabilze in 2.3.2 and get drop frames (mp4, cineform, or uncompressed), the same project render perfect on 2.2.2, and if i stabilize moving shots pfff, thats a hell of shaking and droping frames.
Best regards.
Jesus.

panoguy

Info

by panoguy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:58 am

Hi Jesus,
thank you this is helpful even it is very disappointing that we have to use such odd workarounds.
For static video it is not really a problem, there I don't need to use the stabilization.
2 days ago a captured a drone video and there I saw the problem the first time. Somehow, I don't know exactly what I did, I guess I did some change in the synchronization but the problem went away and the output was well stabilized.
Yesterday I came back with another drone video and same problem happen again, I'm still tweaking around with the synch but I'm not able to find a workaround this time.
Kolor team I would appreciate your feedback if you are doing something about this issue?
Coming back to Claire's statement (since the sync is not done in the hardware)
Is this the new strategy of supporting only future Gopro rigs, which are still not available, and not supporting any other rigs in the future???

ClaireM

Info

by ClaireM » Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am

Hi,

So, basically we were able to reproduce the issue related to frame dropping when rendering in AVP 2.3... Newer Nvidia drivers came out some days ago and this seems to fix the issue as far as we are concerned...
We are working on the stabilization issue... The problem could be related the frame dropping issue though.

Best,

Claire

ClaireM

Info

by ClaireM » Thu May 26, 2016 2:14 pm

Also as regards the stab issue we are fully motivated to fix this issue, but as far as i'm concerned no problem with it so far... If after upgrading the drivers, the issue still persists, I would love to have access to shots that are causing this issue.

Best,

Claire