Stitch very different between APV and APG?  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Video bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
OpusMcN

Topic author
Liked in: 4 posts
Info

Stitch very different between APV and APG?

by OpusMcN » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:27 am

I've come across a case where I'm seeing a very different stitch in AVP compared to APG. Compare the two attached images, showing the preview in Autopano Video (2.3.0), and the what I see in in Autopano Giga (4.2.3) after I hit edit in AVP and AGP fires up. It's definitely not just a blending issue, the geometry of the stitch is quite different. I can modify the stitch in AGP and save the file, AVP reloads the stitch, but it still looks nothing like what I'm seeing in APG. I can see the stitch change in AVP, so it is detecting the change and reloading things. There's no masking or anything else unusual going on, just a simple stitch using automatic control points.

Any idea what's going on, or how I can get the APG stitch (which looks good) to get loaded correctly in AVP (which currently looks bad).

Thanks,

Craig.
AVP.JPG
Stitch from preview window in AVP
AVP.JPG (32.12 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

APG.JPG
Stitch from preview window in APG
APG.JPG (32.41 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

no avatar
OpusMcN

Topic author
Info

Re: Stitch very different between APV and APG? (Definite bu

by OpusMcN » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:09 pm

More testing on this shows that AVP is getting the frames out of sync between the videos. You can see in the shot in the previous post the hair is definitely from a different frame, so AVP is exporting different frames to AGP than it's showing on the preview. I'm pretty sure it's either showing or exporting different frame numbers from the original videos. (this is in AVP 2.3.1)

I've also had it show different frames during playback compared to stepping frame by frame through the video. I can play the preview in AVP, see bad stitching, pause the preview on a bad frame, step back one frame, forward to the original frame, and see a completely different stitch to what was previously shown for that frame.

This is making life very difficult at the moment, I don't know whether I've got a bad stitch, or whether AVP is showing me the wrong thing.

The only thing I can think of that might be contributing to this is the fact that I'm stitching a very small section out of the middle of a long video sequence. The output ranges from frame 11200 to frame 12500 out of a 45000 frame video, maybe AVP is getting precision problems in the frame number that far in?

I'll try editing the source videos down to just the segment I need and see if that improves things, but anything to try and mitigate this problem would be very appreciated!

[Edit] Just tried on AVP 2.2.0 and I'm seeing the same thing.

Thanks,

Craig.

no avatar
OpusMcN

Topic author
Info

Re: Stitch very different between APV and APG?

by OpusMcN » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:56 am

Me again,

Chopped the input videos down to 1500 frames and all the problems immediately vanished. A sequence that was a nightmare to stitch suddenly became (almost) a single button job.

There's definitely something getting out of sync with longer input videos, in this case at least. These were shot 1280x960 @ 60Hz on GoPro Sessions. I don't know if the output from the Sessions differ from the Heros in any way, but I can provide sample movies if needed.

As a workaround this gets me going again on this job, but it is an annoyance to have to do this. If the sync problems are unsolvable then a tool in AVP to automatically trim the videos to the selected region would be a very useful thing.

Cheers,
Craig.

ClaireM

Liked in: 36 posts
Info

by ClaireM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi,

The issue seems quite complicated to isolate. Are you in the GPU asynchronous mode?
If you can share some video samples (two are enough) I can give a look.

Best,

Claire

no avatar
OpusMcN

Topic author
Info

by OpusMcN » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi Claire,

I'm running in GPU synchronous mode. I'll upload some videos and PM you a link to download.

Thanks,

Craig.

ClaireM

Info

by ClaireM » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 am

Hi,

In APG, if you do not activate the quick preview option (i.e the icon that looks like a green "Q" with a cog wheel inside it on the bottom left corner of the preview area), the blending options that are applied for the preview are : no cutting and a linear blend with a diamong weight. To applied the blending options (i.e the same that are used in AVP), make sure you activate the quick preview option in AVP. In this case, the preview should be the same.

Let us know,

Best,

Claire

no avatar
OpusMcN

Topic author
Info

AVP videos getting out of sync in preview and export

by OpusMcN » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:57 pm

Hi Claire

It's definitely nothing to do with the blending preview in APG (and is wrong regardless of the preview state). As I said, if you look at the two images in my first post you can clearly see they're not from the same video frames. Look at the hair on the left hand side of the frame. AVP shows the first image, I hit edit and APG fires up with second image, from different video frames. All the other problems I've reported are in AVP only and have nothing to do with APG.

Myself and others have also reported videos getting out of sync when rendering in AVP (see the separate thread on this), so this looks like a very similar problem (or another manifestation of the same bug).

Thanks,

Craig.

ClaireM

Info

by ClaireM » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Ok,

We've done some testing with numbered frames and I haven't manage yet to reproduce the issue. I'll keep you updated. There might obviously be a bug, the tricky part is to catch it.

Best,

Claire