Put the .kava file in the cineform.  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
TomVR

Topic author
Liked in: 5 posts
Info

Put the .kava file in the cineform.

by TomVR » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:56 pm

Why not leverage the extensive metadata flexibility of cineform? I remember being able to include entire several dimensions of stereographic orientation/alignment, time and date, gps, camera settings, and even script notes when shooting stereoscopic SI-2K cineform raw footage back in the day.

Why not send the entire .kava file along for the trip? Having the *.kava file travel with render means you can make low res editing proxies and then bring them back into AVP after the edit and relink the source .mp4/.mov to fine stitch it.

On that note why not go farther and revive the cineform's Neo 3D muxing options and have all cameras in the stitch as individual data streams and include the stitch data as metadata per frame. Then leverage the cineform's playback engine to stitch at runtime. Then you can have a excellent mastering format that can be decoded at a lower wavelet for a preview proxy or finely stitched for a delivery.

(ancient blog post about cineform's metadata transport)
http://cineform.blogspot.ca/2009/11/dis ... adata.html

Amidee

Liked in: 30 posts
Info

Re: Put the .kava file in the cineform.

by Amidee » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:54 am

I had no idea Cineform had these capabilities
To further build on your post, since stereographic orientation and alignment is a really problematic aspect of a 3D-360 video, leveraging such metadata could be the key to finding a solution to many issues in playback.
For example, if we had the ability to mark specific control points as an indicator of stereographic alignment, in playback the player could see which of these points are into view and somehow (I hope) actively do something to relieve the discomfort when the user rolls the view causing disaligning of the stereoscopic effect
Cara VR uses an approach where it gradually renders mono at the poles, but to me this is a rather drastic approach, since we usually render POV content.
Letting the player know what is displaying to the user could (I have no way to be sure) be a good way to make poles actually usable