Template for Nokia Ozo  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
PFJ

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Template for Nokia Ozo

by PFJ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello,

I am looking for an Autopano Video Pro template for the Nokia Ozo. Do you have one available, or can you steer me towards one? Thanks!

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 132 posts
Info

Re: Template for Nokia Ozo

by olivierbo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:28 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have such template and there are no plans to do so.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
PFJ

Topic author
Info

by PFJ » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:44 pm

Are you catering to exclusively service GoPro's now? Curious if they are ignoring the other cameras. I also have a kodak sp360 4k that could also use a template too, but it seems kolor stopped providing templates for cameras other than GoPro as soon as they were bought by them.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:20 pm

Hello,

Old templates are still available in the previous versions (Kodak PixPro QBIC for instance) and you can create your own. That said, we cannot provide a template for each new 360 camera, especiallly for the Nokia Ozo, a 55K€ camera! Do you mean you cannot get good results using the provided software? Have you had a look to the forum's discussion?

Cheers,
Olivier

no avatar
PFJ

Topic author
Info

by PFJ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:48 pm

I see. I thought you guys would be a little more open to working with your clientele irregardless of the camera used. But whatever floats your boat. The Nokia ozo is a disaster of a camera and I am in conversation with their engineers and developers daily. Not as bad logistically as the GoPro rigs. But what it improves in workflow, it ruins with its image quality. I guess if you guys aren't interested in helping us find a good stitching solution for any camera available like your software claims to do, I'll take our business elsewhere. Unfortunate to do after spending nearly $1500 for AVP and APG, but ultimately I need a stitching partner that cares about our needs. This program is hit and miss at best for video stitching anyways though, with limited capabilities for predictable refinement, so back we go to Nuke and After Effects where we can control the variables.

no avatar
PFJ

Topic author
Info

by PFJ » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm

And please don't take this the wrong way. I love your product and feel it fills a necessary niche in our business workflow. But it seems you are being a little short in regards to your willingness to ensure my success with your product. If it is user error on my part that I can't get a good stitch, I am open to that criticism. However I would also love this to be more of a partnership if possible irregardless of the camera rig chosen. I can't imagine you wouldn't want to help your product succeed in a professional environment for my corporate clients like Yeti, Eastman, Samsung, and likely collaborations later this year with the NY Times, Dell, Dreamworks and National Geographic. In other words I feel that what's good for me is good for you, so to speak. This is going to come up when I stitch the footage from our Freedom 360 GoPro rig later this month too, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:23 am

Hello,

The Ozo camera is quite different than other 360 cameras we usually use. Nokia develops this RIG to record 360-3D videos, so the workflow is different.

Cheers,
Olivier

Amidee

Liked in: 30 posts
Info

by Amidee » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:55 pm

PFJ wrote:And please don't take this the wrong way. I love your product and feel it fills a necessary niche in our business workflow. But it seems you are being a little short in regards to your willingness to ensure my success with your product. If it is user error on my part that I can't get a good stitch, I am open to that criticism. However I would also love this to be more of a partnership if possible irregardless of the camera rig chosen. I can't imagine you wouldn't want to help your product succeed in a professional environment for my corporate clients like Yeti, Eastman, Samsung, and likely collaborations later this year with the NY Times, Dell, Dreamworks and National Geographic. In other words I feel that what's good for me is good for you, so to speak. This is going to come up when I stitch the footage from our Freedom 360 GoPro rig later this month too, so any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Honey, sorry to burst your bubble, but do you really think you're the only one that works with big clients? I alone have more "big" clients than you do, and yet I don't think I'm entitled to more "support" than any other one here. I'm not even entirely sure they actually care about the 60+ bugs/lacking features I reported on the related forum... ( :
And I'm not the one with the biggest clients around here, by large :D

Kolor is a rather small team and they have a lot to do even by focusing on a couple of cameras and lens types. They can be frustrating to work with, for sure, but they're constantly breaking new grounds with their software, it's not like they're doing simple stuff here.

As you said, the Nokia OZO is a disaster and has awful image quality and also comes with its own (clunky!) software, so go blame Nokia for their trainwreck of a camera that spits out proprietary formats.
Also, AFAIK, you can output each camera to something you can stitch by hand and, as noted by Olivier, you can pretty much do your templates by yourself.
Do you think we have asked Kolor to make us templates for our custom stereo rigs, with custom lenses and soon to be custom sensors?
Hell no, that's our job (:
Peace

no avatar
TomVR

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by TomVR » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:31 pm

If you want to stitch Nokia footage correctly the only viable pipeline is CARA VR.

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cara-vr/

I use it extensively for all final delivery. Autopano Video is excellent for stitching editorial proxies and rushes but if you are delivering projects at beyond 6K then it isn't enough. Also the shape detect masking system is a real mess.

If autopano supported exporting multiview EXR image sequences with each gopro isolated with alpha channels it would go a long way to improving it's usability on larger more demanding projects.

Giga's support for EXRs is excellent and I use it often for generating UV maps for compositing over latlong footage.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Let me step into this discussion:
- Autopano Video is a general stitcher which means it can stitch anything. We will leave it this way, as many customer are using our tool to stitch any kind of camera, not only GoPro. Nevertheless, it is not our job to provide a solution for other cameras. If Nokia who is responsible for the OZO wants to create and maintain a template for their camera for Autopano Video, they are free to do so.
- ST maps can be exported from APG. Just create some 16bits input images, in which each pixels stores the coordinates. Projects them with APG ( using the .pano exported by AVP ). And boom you have a STmap for that frame. I don't see any easy way to do that for a video though. Nevertheless, that's already a small step.

no avatar
fabiobellotti

Info

by fabiobellotti » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Hi.

There's another post regarding Nokia Ozo here in the forum.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32867

I've tryed to stitch it with autopano video, and everything seems to work. (according to the user who asked for it)
I send him a sort of template that basically can give u a first stitch of 4 of the 8 cameras
Basically i agree with Alexandre J, autopano is a stitching software, u can put inside it 20 clips from different cameras and u will find a way to stich them out.

The only reason TOM VR is saying that u must use nuke is for the lens distortion and other parameters in the .txt file that came with the clips. Cara can import them directly. But APV can CALCULATE them and in my opinion this can give u much more freedom when the situation is hard to solve.
Fabio Bellotti
==================================
http://www.solidcolor.org
Digital VideoMaking & Motion Graphics
http://www.solidcolor.org/360AV
VR at its best - 360 Video & AUDIO solutions

no avatar
fabiobellotti

Info

by fabiobellotti » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:05 pm

In my opinion u can:

1- create your own template by camera as mentioned in the tutorial by kolor
2- use the mixed lens/know lens (use 15mm fisheye, just tryed) and then refine the stitch (IMHO the best option, not so long as u said)
3- convert the k1,k2,k3,k4 and focal from txt file and copy&paste an existing preset, then modify the k and the focal, set false to the distrortion optimization, set pano to the focal optimiziation, and try with this

but since autopano can optimize distortion by itself, i suggest 2
For me worked
Fabio Bellotti
==================================
http://www.solidcolor.org
Digital VideoMaking & Motion Graphics
http://www.solidcolor.org/360AV
VR at its best - 360 Video & AUDIO solutions

no avatar
TomVR

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by TomVR » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:19 pm

If you go on a nice roof top and just use control points on the horizon you can spin the ozo on a pan head to calibrate each lens individually.

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... era_preset