Loosing sharpness using 6 xiaomi yi  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
Schwedenhappen

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Loosing sharpness using 6 xiaomi yi

by Schwedenhappen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:25 am

Hi,
First of all thx for this great piece of software and the possibilities stitching vr videos:)
I followed this video for my first stitching tries https://youtu.be/XjKLcUIp9Pk
I use a 6 camera rig and the brightness of the 3 upper cams are different then the 3 facing down. When I colour correct and correct the vignetting as in the video I loose a lot of sharpness of the upper 3 videos? Should I change the brightness of these videos before in another prog? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Hugs
Attachments
20160623_200508.jpg

Amidee

Liked in: 30 posts
Info

Re: Loosing sharpness using 6 xiaomi yi

by Amidee » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:00 pm

This is true with every camera - you're simply using the same sensor in different ways.
I guess the cameras with lower brightness are the ones pointing towards the sun (or the sky), am I right?
Usually when this happens you're not using the dynamic range correctly - the image gets exposed for the brightest part (the sky) and then APG has to bring exposure back up because the rest of the image is almost pitch black.
This means you're losing (one "o", "to loose" means an entirely different thing) precious dynamic range and basically you're using the sensor with a lower signal/noise ratio.

tl;dr: EV+1,5/2 when pointing towards the sky/sun, +0,5/1 when pointing towards brighter areas.
Edit:damn you autocorrect
Last edited by Amidee on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Schwedenhappen likes this post.

no avatar
Schwedenhappen

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Schwedenhappen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Sure i got that and your absolutely right with the ones pointing towards the sky being a bit darker.
But I can't change it now with my current already filmed clips so now I just need some idea how to get the best out of my stitched film. Should I brightness and colour correct the clips before starting to use autopano video? The pictures I've shot at the same location after finishing the filming get perfectly stitch in autopano giga. The darker parts are automatically adjusted to the brighter ones and the 360 pics are just perfect.
Thx so far:)

LoicB
Kolor Team

Liked in: 8 posts
Info

by LoicB » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 am

Generally, except for extreme cases, AVP / APG color balance will work fine and will allow you to avoid doing color correction before stitching.
Do you get some sharpness back if you change the EV of the whole stitch in AVP ? If that's the case, for your particular problem you could darken or lighten the whole stitch and then adjust using a color correction in Premiere or some fine tuning in Resolve.
If this doesn't work, you can indeed try to adjust the color correction of the individual cameras before stitching. But it is not recommended in a more usual workflow, since you will still have to adjust the balance between cameras in AVP and probably have to do some adjustments again in Premiere once your edit is done.