Workflow: Stitch First or Edit First  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Video!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
JoshWyatt

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Workflow: Stitch First or Edit First

by JoshWyatt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:39 am

Hi All!

With your editorial workflow, do you stitch first or edit first? The norm seems to be to stitch first, then bring that stitched image into Premiere Pro to edit. This seems like a lot of wasted time stitching footage you will end up not using. As an illustration, the process is equivalent to colour grading every shot you have before you actually edit. When you do edit, you would throw away 60%+ of what you shot - therefore a lot of wasted time colour grading shots you won’t use. Same theory for stitching.

My theory is that you edit multi-cam in Premiere, and in Premiere you get perfect sync with a clapperboard and/or Timecode. Once you finish your edit, you export each video via .XML or as individual files. Somehow you bring that already-synced footage into Autopano Video to stitch. The benefit of this method is that you already have synced footage from Premiere and you only stitch together what you’d use in your edit.

Finally, bring that stitched footage back into Premiere via .XML or .AFF so that it can go onto colour grading and sound mix.

Any thoughts on if this process is possible?

Thanks,

Josh

no avatar
jesusrg

Info

Re: Workflow: Stitch First or Edit First

by jesusrg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 am

Best workflow IMHO, shoot normal 2D the same you shoot in 360, edit that 2D until the customer are satisfied, then stitch only those shoots in 360. Perfect sync in premiere i dont think so, you have too much of trial and error in autopano for sync and need to see the seams. And sitching an already edited video with the diferents shoot is not going to work very good, each shoot has its own problems of paralax and artifacts. Anyway having a powerfull rig is not that waste of time sitiching footage you will end up not using, i have to wait like 3-4min. for every 1min. of footage.

no avatar
JoshWyatt

Topic author
Info

by JoshWyatt » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:56 am

Why wouldn’t sync in Premiere work? Once you sync in Premiere you could import into Autopano 10 angles with exactly the same amount of frames. Each camera would be synced with each other, which means all that’s left is the arrangements of camera and merging and stitching the cameras together.

After you edit a video in Premiere, ideally you would export an xml so Autopano recognises every shot separately with all the angles, similarly if you imported an edit into DaVinci Resolve - you can see every shot and colour grade accordingly. Likewise Autopano could see every edit and stitch accordingly. This method may not exist at the moment, but in my mind it seems the most logical?

no avatar
jesusrg

Info

by jesusrg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:18 am

Did you try sync in premiere and then stitch? sometimes the footage are out of sync by 1/2 frame that you only can chosse with frame is best watching the seems in autopano. If they implement the method you said of course that whould be the most logical workflow, anyway each shoot is a diferent world to stich you have to keep them in separate autopano project, (diferent lens algnment, diferent indoor, outdoor paralax, and artifacts, diferent nadir patching, and so on) so you need diferent .pano stitching files for each shoot.

no avatar
crazy_rabbit

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by crazy_rabbit » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:37 pm

I've synced in Premier before- when using a flash for sync it's really the best method because it's easy to line up all the tracks above one another, or even seperately and cut at the first frame you see the flash.

That said, it's a pain to do. I'm working with 6-9 cameras and to do that for each camera sucks.

Has anyone tried plural eyes yet for this? I would be curious. We need a better import workflow for sure, but part of the problem is the gopros. If we were importing from pro level cameras with timecode, that are genlocked in the first place, we wouldn't have to deal with this.
Co-Founder and Chief Creative Technology Officer
Vesmir.agency
http://www.vesmir.agency

no avatar
JoshWyatt

Topic author
Info

by JoshWyatt » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:07 pm

I haven’t tried plural eyes for sync, but I tired FCPX’s auto sync which worked fairly well. Syncing isn’t the main issue in my opinion (timecode or not). The issue is if you were to edit first, theres no easy way to send all GoPro angles (6-10) with the edited timeline to Autopano or any 360 editing programme. Therefore the only way for the process to work is to stitch every single shot first, then edit those stitched shots in Premiere using plugins to see it back in 2D. The most logical & efficient workflow for me though would be to stitch after the edit so you’re only stitching what you need. Same reason VFX artists only do VFX after the edit. If they edited every shot, they would have 400x more work to do with no better result. I believe the stitch should be after the edit, but this process may not be available for a while.

no avatar
crazy_rabbit

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by crazy_rabbit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:41 pm

I mean, I think it's a different mindset. After you stitch everything you can think of that as "the shot". Now that you can output in Cineform, it makes it easier to not lose quality and then just work on the whole scene. A more robust solution is most certainly desirable though. Perhaps Stitching might become a standard Premier or After effects feature in the future?
Co-Founder and Chief Creative Technology Officer
Vesmir.agency
http://www.vesmir.agency