Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at the eye mirror lens for a gopro: http://eye-mirror.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_62&product_id=70

Now I want to shoot video 360x180 and the mirror will have a black spot directly under the mirror (the gopro itself). Will it be possible to have a gopro shooting directly downwards (or upwards depending on how you hold the camera, but lets say pointing up) and stitch this video to the image shot by the gopro having a mirror?

The output video is circular with a black spot in the middle that needs to be filled in. Would this be possible with kolor autopano?

See this video for more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxcw5ulyGY see 1:05 for the output video.

Hope you guys can help!

Regards,
UV

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:46 pm 

Hi..

I doubt it.. Its uses the Eye Mirror software about $100 to do it.. I tried to get a loan of this mirror lens but the CEO has gone all quite.. Either he did not receive my emails or he is not interested in an independent review..

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22109#p140443

I would try to find user examples before buying any product..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:02 pm 

Here...

http://eye-mirror.com/cart/index.php?ro ... duct_id=69

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:10 pm 

Hi Destiny,

Thanks for your reply. I have received an email from Thomas yesterday and a few hours later from Dave (helpdesk), so I guess he is not gone ;).

Why do you think it wouldn't work?

Have you tried their videos with an oculus rift?

-Uv

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:26 pm 

I did not say it wouldn't I said I doubt it..... Most of those mirror lens rigs, have dedicated software... I tried using the One-Shot images in APG, but they did not work too well.. but that was a still pano... They were developing 360 video software but gave up on it.. You can always ask Eye Mirror for a demo set of media and try.. but as I said, I doubt it will work..

Kolor had to develop support for the Ricoh Theta so I would assume the same thing would need to apply to stitch the GP Eye Mirror video media.. I would have thought that stitching 360 video was a lot more involved than stitching a 360pano image..

I guess you have their ear since you are buying their product.. I don't since I just want to borrow one of there GP Mirror Lenses.. Real shame since the Kolor forum is one of the biggest in the this media area.. If you do buy one, I would be very interested to see and hear about your feedback and results.. I guess in time we will get an independent review from someone on this forum..

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:38 pm 

Oh sorry to misinterpret. Maybe, I need multiple software kits, the one from eye mirror and kolor or something. Already asked eye mirror if an idea as such would be possible with an additional camera and perhaps some software. I strongly hope they will come up with something that can produce 360 x 180 video. There are a lot of option, but there actually is none that is perfect. Isn't there a lens you can put on the gopro with a full 360 x 180 view? There also is a 360fly camera with one lens shooting 360 x 240 video, but the resolution was only 1500 x 1500, otherwise it would be even better.

Before I will buy the eyemirror I guess I'll wait a few months for the gopro hero 4 since it (probably) would allow higher framerates needed for the oculus. Will need to wait for the oculus anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:42 pm 

uvflyer wrote:
Isn't there a lens you can put on the gopro with a full 360 x 180 view?

No; none of the mirrors has ever produced 360x180 FOV. The VFOV is always considerably less than 180.

You would need a multi camera rig to get close to 360x180 FOV video.

http://www.kolor.com/video

http://www.kolor.com/360-video/record

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:56 pm 

My advice is to wait.. If you do not need it now, I am certain that new and exciting technologies are being developed.. Its just a matter of time.. At the moment for me, unless you want to spend $$$$, there are no real perfect options.. There is either a Nadir issue, a Parallax issue or a quality issue.... or all three in one unit... and even a price issue.... I read there was some old technology that was never the best in the first place, has a new shell.. Those things always tend to be same old insides so same old issues... I had a couple of forum members write to me, regretting buying a certain 360 Can of rubbish, now sitting on the floor acting as a door stop.. Those units were way over priced but I am sure cheaper options will arrive in time.. I have high hopes that the Ricoh Theta will announce a Mk2 with much better image quality and perhaps a 360 video option...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm 

mediavets wrote:
uvflyer wrote:
Isn't there a lens you can put on the gopro with a full 360 x 180 view?

No; none of the mirrors has ever produced 360x180 FOV. The VFOV is always considerably less than 180.

You would need a multi camera rig to get close to 360x180 FOV video.

http://www.kolor.com/video

http://www.kolor.com/360-video/record

I didn't mean a mirror here, but more a changeable lens, replacing the original lens.

Destiny wrote:
My advice is to wait.. If you do not need it now, I am certain that new and exciting technologies are being developed.. Its just a matter of time.. At the moment for me, unless you want to spend $$$$, there are no real perfect options.. There is either a Nadir issue, a Parallax issue or a quality issue.... or all three in one unit... and even a price issue.... I read there was some old technology that was never the best in the first place, has a new shell.. Those things always tend to be same old insides so same old issues... I had a couple of forum members write to me, regretting buying a certain 360 Can of rubbish, now sitting on the floor acting as a door stop.. Those units were way over priced but I am sure cheaper options will arrive in time.. I have high hopes that the Ricoh Theta will announce a Mk2 with much better image quality and perhaps a 360 video option...

Destiny..

Guess I'll wait. There a lot of solutions poppin up and there are a lot of solutions that might be a winner. Don't think using a dozen gopro's isn't one of them although it might work for now.

I really like the idea of the mirror, just need to find a solution to make it at 180 degree VFOV. Eye mirror itself didn't have a complete yes or no answer to this question, so it's a thing to find out. Do any of you know if there is someone that will know more about this?